Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:44am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Plug for Derailleur Post (Read 2608 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Need Plug for Derailleur Post
Jun 18th, 2016, 2:56pm

Didn't think finding a replacement plug for a front derailleur post on a Catrike would be such a chore. Perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology to google it correctly. I'm looking for a local source for one of the black, plastic plugs that fits into the open end of the post. Need one that is 1" in diameter.  Anyone know of a local source? I'm sure I could probably get one from Catrike, but thought it would be simpler to find one locally. It doesn't seem like it would be a proprietary part, but I could be wrong.

IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Need Plug for Derailleur Post
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2016, 3:04pm

I'd check a local hardware store. Those plastic table leg covers
 might work.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2016, 3:44pm

Check a hardware store, like John suggested. I've been buying black plugs, like these: http://us.essentracomponents.com/en-US/psearch?productId=18805&categoryId=20 560&facet=ads_f12021_ntk_cs%253A%25221.000%2Bin%2B%252825.4%2Bmm%2529%2522, from my local Ace Hardware store. They are designed for plugging holes in sheetmetal, but I have used them successfully to plug tube ends.

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2016, 4:31pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2016, 5:12pm

Well I just stopped by an ace hardware and found nylon hole plugs or you can get the metal chrome ones.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2016, 5:14pm

Lowes has them back in the hardware section.   Though "in stock" and "finding a helpful person" are sometimes an exercise in frustration.    I believe they are called tubing caps there.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2016, 9:15am

Well, I finally just asked Catrike for one and they are sending it. I asked at both HD and Lowes in the hardware depts and was redirected to plumbing, where I   found plastic plugs but nothing that would fit. Thanks for the link, Jay. Steve tells me he is missing a couple on his trike too,  so maybe I can get his from Ace.

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2016, 9:20am by Patti »  
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2016, 12:42pm

Yeah its not in plumbing ..  its in hardware --  I'll get over there in a few days and (if I remember) I'll post a picture of where you can find them, it should be similar in all the stores.

Quote from Patti on Jun 21st, 2016, 9:15am:
Well, I finally just asked Catrike for one and they are sending it. I asked at both HD and Lowes in the hardware depts and was redirected to plumbing, where I   found plastic plugs but nothing that would fit. Thanks for the link, Jay. Steve tells me he is missing a couple on his trike too,  so maybe I can get his from Ace.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2016, 7:25am

Quote from MrWizard on Jun 21st, 2016, 12:42pm:
Yeah its not in plumbing ..  its in hardware --  I'll get over there in a few days and (if I remember) I'll post a picture of where you can find them, it should be similar in all the stores.

Always a challenge to find whats in the big stores. Employees seldom work there long enough to become familiar with anything except the basics. The HD by my house had a guy for a while that was great - knew everything (seemingly) in the store, could always tell you where it was, and was not afraid to be creative in making suggestions about things that MIGHT work if he didn't have exactly what you were asking for. Haven't seen him in months now so I suspect he moved on.   Sad

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2016, 7:02pm

The guys at Elliot's are usually helpful, and they used to have lots of different things.  One has appeared at the SE corner of Garland and Buckner.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2016, 8:13pm

And here you go ..  they have black, white and silver ones. .  you'll need to measure your post to figure out which size ..

Click to embiggen ..  

Quote from Patti on Jun 22nd, 2016, 7:25am:
Quote from MrWizard on Jun 21st, 2016, 12:42pm:

Always a challenge to find whats in the big stores. Employees seldom work there long enough to become familiar with anything except the basics. The HD by my house had a guy for a while that was great - knew everything (seemingly) in the store, could always tell you where it was, and was not afraid to be creative in making suggestions about things that MIGHT work if he didn't have exactly what you were asking for. Haven't seen him in months now so I suspect he moved on.   Sad

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2016, 10:23am

Ahhhh
Thanks for this info. Catrike sent me the one I needed for my Speed but it is great info to know where to find these things. I think Steve is still missing one from his Expedition so I'll check them out while shopping for a torque wrench.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print