Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:44am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trying to ride a FWD/MBB Cruzbike Quest (Read 3862 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Trying to ride a FWD/MBB Cruzbike Quest
Apr 14th, 2016, 6:40pm

Daniel (SquareCorners) has a friend that purchased a Cruzbike Quest a while back, and basically found it impossible to ride, despite significant attempts -- so it's been sitting in his garage.  I've tried a FWD/MBB a couple times, and even with professional help (Jonathan Garcia of Rose City), couldn't ride it more than about 50 feet...  but, all these killer rides that Maria and other CB riders are accomplishing on Vendettas have kept me intrigued.

Daniel brought it over a few days ago, and I've been playing on it a bit.  The first couple attempts were RIDICULOUS, and I put it away.  I tried it again yesterday, briefly, and remembered what Jonathan told me - PUSH with your hands, instead of pulling.  That definitely helped, and after a few false starts, I was able to ride it about 200 yards around our cul-de-sac -- but my triceps were telling me about it, very quickly.  Steering into a turn is also very weird - and forget pedaling when turning.  It feels like if I try to actually STEER, it goes crazy.

But, 200 yards is a lot further than I expected -- so I'm going to play with it some more...  but how the hell do you climb a hill on this thing????  Gawd.....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Trying to ride a FWD/MBB Cruzbike Quest
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2016, 9:47pm

Ride it an additional 99 miles and 1,560 yards, before you give up on it. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2016, 10:05am

I have been riding a Cruzbike for going on 4 years now. First was a home built conversion then my Silvio for the last 2 years, thanks to Jay letting me test ride his around the lake. I can say the toughest part is learning. Patience and what Jerry said. Those learning tips are immeasurable. I went to the park many, many days before I got out on the roads. I can ride anywhere, anytime and love, love, love this bike. I would not change it for anything. If you want to make it work best advice I can give is don't get on any other type, bent or DF until you master it. Lots of folks have echoed that as well. Once you get going and comfy in a straight line you will never go back. See at the MS150!

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2016, 4:05pm

Nope, giving it up... if I had the desire to totally switch 100% to one, perhaps I'd get it under control someday...  the (relatively) heavy front end is so different, that any time the steering moves, the bike swerves sideways.  Ah, well...  wasn't planning to get a Vendetta and race seriously, anyway...

jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2016, 2:16pm

I've heard that the "Cruzbike Learning Curve" tends to be biggest for those who previously rode non-moving-bottom-bracket recumbents.  

I learned to ride my Silvio fairly quickly.   I felt like I was ready for the open road after a few hours with it in a parking lot.   But it was the first recumbent that I ever rode.    Now, I also have a Vendetta and a SoftRider (which is the easiest of the 3 to ride, in my opinion, but it's also the slowest).

I'd probably be all over the place if I ever tried to ride a rear wheel drive recumbent!

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
cucharared

rbent member

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2016, 9:09pm

I've only lately rejoined the forum and was just noising through the threads.  Since I'd built a couple of MBBFWD bents way back I was curious as to whether the OP was finally successful in riding this thing.  Back then I discovered that the secret to getting started was to get in a good low/easy gear, thereby eliminating a lot of the pedal steer that thwarted a nice start from rest.  Once I got the hang of it I could ride it almost totally hands-off.  It would have been worth sticking with if I'd invested in good materials and light components.  It was danged heavy on the front end. At that time there was only three guys that managed to ride it - Joe at RBM/Garland Rd, Bart D., and Doug _ (sorry about that Doug if you're still around - and if you are do you still have the streamliners?).  The frame is still hanging in my barn but the components have lived on other bikes since.  I'm now on a trike and loving it.

Anyway, just curious...
ron

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2016, 9:11pm by cucharared »  
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2016, 5:04pm

HI Ron,

Davis --  

Long time no talk too -- I'm still around though I had about a 10 year hiatus due to some medical issues.   I'm still no where near as strong as I was in the past.   Anyway --   I   Still have the 1 of the 2 streamliners, the original white one was donated to my grad schools engineering program.    The carbon fiber front wheel drive one is in storage.  I've been mostly riding 3 wheeled streamliners .. aka velomobiles lately  

It would be great to see you and catch up on a ride again sometime soon assuming you are in the area?  

Quote from cucharared on Dec 3rd, 2016, 9:09pm:
I've only lately rejoined the forum and was just noising through the threads.  Since I'd built a couple of MBBFWD bents way back I was curious as to whether the OP was finally successful in riding this thing.  Back then I discovered that the secret to getting started was to get in a good low/easy gear, thereby eliminating a lot of the pedal steer that thwarted a nice start from rest.  Once I got the hang of it I could ride it almost totally hands-off.  It would have been worth sticking with if I'd invested in good materials and light components.  It was danged heavy on the front end. At that time there was only three guys that managed to ride it - Joe at RBM/Garland Rd, Bart D., and Doug _ (sorry about that Doug if you're still around - and if you are do you still have the streamliners?).  The frame is still hanging in my barn but the components have lived on other bikes since.  I'm now on a trike and loving it.

Anyway, just curious...
ron

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2016, 11:12am

Nope, I never really got the hang of it...

Paul

cucharared

rbent member

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2016, 10:17pm

Ah, Doug Davis. Glad you're still around. Sorry you've had medical issues.  Yeah, I'm still around but got some knee and hip injuries on my dirt bike and haven't ridden pedal-power consistently in a long time.  I'm trying to rectify that now with the trike.  Good to hear from you.

Quote from MrWizard on Dec 4th, 2016, 5:04pm:
HI Ron,

Davis --

Long time no talk too -- I'm still around though I had about a 10 year hiatus due to some medical issues.   I'm still no where near as strong as I was in the past.   Anyway --   I   Still have the 1 of the 2 streamliners, the original white one was donated to my grad schools engineering program.    The carbon fiber front wheel drive one is in storage.  I've been mostly riding 3 wheeled streamliners .. aka velomobiles lately

It would be great to see you and catch up on a ride again sometime soon assuming you are in the area?

Quote from cucharared on Dec 3rd, 2016, 9:09pm:

Anyway, just curious...
ron

Email   IP Logged
cucharared

rbent member

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2016, 10:23pm

Well shoot -  I seem to remember riding mine was a real hoot. Guess it wasn't hoot enough to keep it rideable or I would have. Or maybe it was because I just had too much other junk in the garage to allocate any space for it.  If I had the space I think I'd retrieve it from the barn. Still, I'm enjoying the trike too much to mess with anything else.

ron

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 5th, 2016, 11:12am:
Nope, I never really got the hang of it...

Paul

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print