Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:40pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Actually a video doing 64.8 mph (Read 1842 times)
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Actually a video doing 64.8 mph
Feb 24th, 2016, 10:30am

oooh what fun -- where is that? .. I want to bring my Milan out there  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 24th, 2016, 9:23am:
I went out for a ride the other day on my DIY 1999 Lightning Phantom coroplast streamliner. The hill in the video at the top is 22-24% grade for about 75 feet, then it is around 14-15% grade for about 150 feet. The rest of the ride is about 6-7% grade. I hit 64.8 mph and was pretty excited about it. It is the fastest ever for me on a bicycle. https://youtu.be/YjaF6qYHsz8 . The temperature was around 34 degrees. That night we got around 6 inches of snow.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2016, 9:21pm

Urhm .. I can hit mid 60's going down Los Rios ..   Not that I'd ever do that or anything ..   it carries enough momentum to throw me back up the other side without any pedal input.   --  However .. I'm looking for a long  decent like that to see what it can really do.   Or where I'll panic .. or something

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 24th, 2016, 2:27pm:
Just outside of a little town called Union, MO. There are even better hills to ride down around here. Just choose any spot in the Ozarks for fun down hills. The climbing back out can be problematic though.  Smiley You might want to pack a parachute on the Milan! I bet you could hit mid 70's with it.

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2016, 10:15pm

I'm young enough to be stupid (others here can vouch for that)..... but after hitting the pavement at 32 mph last summer - I don't want to see the road rash from ~65 mph.  Be careful out there!  And welcome to Texas!!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2016, 1:53pm

Several years -- er decades ago, I took a lightning F90 to the Dehydrator in OK.    The combination of winds and rolling hills got me going so fast I shot off the front and never saw the paceline ever again .. came in about 90 minutes ahead of the racers ..     I had an OLD garmin GPS 3 on that bike (this being the day before we actually had decent cyclocomputers and smart phones)  you could download the file into some MSDOS program which would then lay out a kind of analysis .. my rolling average was 26.7 and my "highest speed" was 81.   No idea where that was because at the time I couldn't overlay a map or anything ..  There were a LOT of rollers and quick descents.    Right after that, they banned recumbents from the competition ...  

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 25th, 2016, 7:12am:
It sure feels fun to go over 60, and I crashed dong over 40 a few weeks ago. The coroplast saved me, except for some big lumps and bruises. I'll have to check out Los Rios. You need to take the Milan down Highway 63 in AR/MO. There are some very long and steep inclines. I think you could hit close to 75-80 in the Milan. I plan on taking the coroplast Phantom there this summer and see if I can get it over 70!

Thanks for the welcome Tony.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print