Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:28am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Metabikes Metaphysic Build (Read 12737 times)
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Re: Metabikes Metaphysic Build
Reply #15 - Feb 8th, 2016, 6:55pm

I want one of them! Love reading this Jay, keep us,posted Smiley

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Feb 8th, 2016, 9:03pm

Quote from CruzbikeChris on Feb 8th, 2016, 6:55pm:
I want one of them! Love reading this Jay, keep us,posted Smiley

Thanks, Chris.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Feb 8th, 2016, 9:04pm

Received this jersey, along with replacement derailleur hanger, this afternoon. Eat your heart out Meta Ken.  Cheesy 

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2016, 10:52am

Completed assembly on Feb. 13. Installed accessories on Feb. 14. Road tested bike at WRL on Feb. 15.

Assembled bike weight, less pedals, seat pad and accessories: 21 lbs 11 ounces.

Seat back angle adjustment range: 20 to 40 degrees

Frame kit:

1. Aluminum frame w/aluminum boom

2. Carbon fork w/aluminum steerer tube

3. FSA headset

4. Swiveling aluminum tiller/handlebar assembly

5. Adjustable-length, aluminum seat support struts

6. Optional carbon seat w/Ventisit seat pad

Components:

1. FSA Energy, 10-speed, compact crankset (46T/34T) w/150 mm crank arms

2. SRAM GX 11-speed trigger shifters

3. KMC X 11 L 11-speed chain

4. Shimano Ultegra CS-6800 11-speed cassette (14T/28T)

5. SRAM Force, 11-speed, medium-cage rear derailleur

6. Shimano Ultegra FD-6800-B (M/S) 11-speed front derailleur

7. Bacchetta X-Eyed caliper brakes

8. Tektro carbon TT reverse-pull brake levers

9.  Vuelta Corsa SLR Road Wheelset (1,467 gms)

10. Titanium quick-release skewers

11. Crank Brothers Eggbeater 3 pedals

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2016, 11:46am

Chain was skipping on the 18T cassette cog with the derailleur dailed in in perfectly on the other cogs. Chain and cassette appear OK, so suspected the trigger shifter to not be indexing properly. Loosened the shifter cable to test the shifter. When I tried to operate the shifter, found it to be jammed. Took the top cover off and noticed the stop on the end of the cable had backed out and was the cause of the jamb. Couldn't force it back into place by pulling on the cable or prizing it with a small screwdriver, so made the  decision to disassemble the shifter, knowing there would be a 98% chance of me not being able to reassemble it. Removed three screws, pulled the mechanism out of the housing, and sproing! Good news and bad news. Good news is I was able to unjamb the cable. Bad news is there is no way I will be able to figure out where 3 springs anchor and the small spring and metal part that fell out go. The SRAM GX MTB trigger shifters replace the X7 and X9 shifters. Not too impressed with them, because of their potential for jambing and high force that's required to shift gears. Have already ordered a more expensive, and higher-quality, 11-speed XO shifter as a replacement. Have 10-speed XO shifters on two of my other bikes, and really like them. In the mean time the Meta is out of action.  Sad

Sproing!!

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2016, 11:49am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2016, 8:24am

Kind of reminiscent of Wile E. Coyote's devices.   Grin

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2016, 9:32am

Nice looking bike Jay. I hear they are great bikes, but they just don't stop very well. Have you noticed this problem on your Meta bike? I am looking at one and thinking about buying it, but I like to stop sometimes, especially going down hill!  

P.S. I will officially be a Texan on the 28th of this month. Moving to Sanger.  

I got the bikes confused Jay. It is the High Baron that has the brake problem.

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2016, 2:24pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2016, 8:12pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 24th, 2016, 9:32am:
Nice looking bike Jay. I hear they are great bikes, but they just don't stop very well. Have you noticed this problem on your Meta bike? I am looking at one and thinking about buying it, but I like to stop sometimes, especially going down hill!

P.S. I will officially be a Texan on the 28th of this month. Moving to Sanger.

I got the bikes confused Jay. It is the High Baron that has the brake problem.

Thanks, Jerry. I installed Bacchetta X-Eyed caliper brakes (They're used on the CA 2.0) on my Meta for maximum weight savings (Weight of each brake is only 115 gms). They provide adequate braking power when used in conjunction with the TEKTRO  short-pull levers I installed. If a complete Metaphysic is ordered, it will have SRAM Rival caliper brakes and AVID Speed Dial 7 long-pull levers. Not the best combination, since the Speed Dial 7's are intended to be used with linear-pull and disc brakes, not caliper brakes. If I had purchased a pre-built bike, the first thing I would have done is replace the 7's with short-pull levers.  

The good thing about the Metaphysic is it has a disc brake mount on the left rear stay. Also, an aluminum or carbon fork with a disc brake mounting tab can be ordered.

Welcome to Texas.  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2016, 7:05am

Thanks for the welcome and good info Jay. I hope to make it to WRL one day and ride with the clowns. I think I would fit right in, I have been called a clown many times! Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2016, 8:44am by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Mar 22nd, 2016, 11:17am

The Meta is back in action, after being sidelined for over a month. Have ordered a number of replacement parts and finally found a combination that works. The 11-speed SRAM X0 shifter I ordered as a replacement for the SRAM GX shifter I ruined did not cure the shifting problem. Researched info on the Internet and learned that 11-speed chains need to be matched to the particular cassette they will be used with. The Shimano Ultegra 6800 14T/28T cassette installed on the bike didn't like the KMC X11L chain, so I ordered and installed a Shimano Ultegra chain. Well, the cassette didn't like that chain, either, even though they are the same brand and quality level. Next, I ordered a SRAM 1170 11T/28T cassette. It didn't like the Shimano chain. At Meta Ken's suggestion, checked the derailleur hanger's alignment with a Park Tool alignment gauge I ordered from Ebay. The alignment was within the recommended 4 mm tolerance, but I tweaked it to closer tolerances in the horizontal and vertical planes. Shifting problem persisted. Replaced the Shimano chain with the original KMC chain. SUCCESS!!!  Smiley  

Yesterday, lowered the seat back angle closer to the 20 degree limit, then rode the bike 24 miles on the WRL trail. Comfortable, quiet, maneuverable (due to short wheelbase), fast, and a great short hill climber. Easily climbed the steep hill at the dam in the lowest gear combination (34T/28T). Looks like it has the potential of making it to my "favorite bikes" list. Looking forward to riding it on the Plano East Side ride to see how it performs on longer and more numerous hills than at WRL.

Park Tool DAG-2.2 derailleur hanger alignment gauge. The bar is used to carefully bend the hanger and bring it into a plane parallel to the plane of the wheel.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2016, 11:18am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Mar 24th, 2016, 9:07am

Glad you got it working your way Jay! I think I need to get me one of those Park Tool DAG-2.2. It doesn't take much for the derailleurs to get out of whack. I missed shifted on a steep hill and bent mine. I usually shift before starting up the hills, but wasn't paying attention. I got it back to where it will shift, but it hesitates no matter what I do.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #26 - Mar 24th, 2016, 3:14pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Mar 24th, 2016, 9:07am:
Glad you got it working your way Jay! I think I need to get me one of those Park Tool DAG-2.2. It doesn't take much for the derailleurs to get out of whack. I missed shifted on a steep hill and bent mine. I usually shift before starting up the hills, but wasn't paying attention. I got it back to where it will shift, but it hesitates no matter what I do.

Thanks, Jerry. Was beginning to think I'd made a big mistake going with an 11-speed drivetrain. Solved the bike's shifting problem like I've done on previous bikes with shifting problems - replaced all the Shimano components with SRAM and SRAM-compatible components.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #27 - Mar 24th, 2016, 3:51pm

I heard recently that such a process is called  "removing the fishing equipment from the bike"  

Quote from jayg on Mar 24th, 2016, 3:14pm:

Thanks, Jerry. Was beginning to think I'd made a big mistake going with an 11-speed drivetrain. Solved the bike's shifting problem like I've done on previous bikes with shifting problems - replaced all the Shimano components with SRAM and SRAM-compatible components.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Mar 24th, 2016, 4:12pm

Grin

Quote from MrWizard on Mar 24th, 2016, 3:51pm:
I heard recently that such a process is called  "removing the fishing equipment from the bike"

Quote from jayg on Mar 24th, 2016, 3:14pm:

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #29 - May 8th, 2016, 11:33am

Update on drivetrain problems. Started having shifting problems, again. All the above comments I made about cassette and chain compatibility are not valid. Ultimately, discovered that the SRAM Force 22 road bike derailleur installed on the bike was not compatible with SRAM MTB trigger shifters. Replaced the Force derailleur with a GXP Type 3 MTB derailleur. Now, shifting is truly perfect. I ordered the Force derailleur, because it was somewhat lighter than the GXP derailleur. I assumed it would be compatible with the MTB shifters, because SRAM 10-speed road bike derailleurs are compatible with SRAM 10-speed MTB shifters. Not the case for 11-speed components.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print