Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:49am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Commuting with a fairing (Read 1145 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Commuting with a fairing
Aug 24th, 2015, 9:52pm

I've been commuting for quite a while now, first on my V2,  and more recently on my XStream. I have a fairing and would like to put it on the bike, but I have a bit of a conundrum. I'm hoping one of you may have figured out a solution and will share it with me. I park my bike outside where there are several of those hoop style bike racks that are about hip high - just right for locking the top tube of a DF bike to. It gets windy on occasion, and when I had the fairing on the V2, I sometimes found the bike all askew and nearly on the ground from wind gusts blowing it around. My solution at the time was to park the bike between two of the hoops and secure the handle bars to them with para cord. That worked really well, but since then a lot more commuters have started using these racks, and they frequently fill completely. Now I park my bike on the outside of one of the outside hoops, so I'm not taking up two spaces. How can I secure the bike so the wind doesn't blow it around? Its an XStream with a sling mesh seat and would have the big windwrap fairing on the front of it. Anybody got some ideas for me?

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Commuting with a fairing
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2015, 5:48am

Can you shoot a pic of the bike and fairing in the location?  It would be easier to think of solutions if we could see the bike in place.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2015, 7:59pm

lock the hand brakes with velcro bands.

Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2015, 9:44pm

Quote from MrWizard on Aug 26th, 2015, 7:59pm:

Thanks, that's actually exactly the sort of helpful, obvious thing that had not occurred to me! I had a little bit of an epiphany today about lashing the seat back to the top of the rack hoop, so I may install the fairing this weekend and give it a try next week.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2015, 10:23pm

I'm glad I could help .. I commuted from Plano to downtown for about 7 years ..  i'm jealous  

Quote from Tiger_Mike on Aug 27th, 2015, 9:44pm:
Quote from MrWizard on Aug 26th, 2015, 7:59pm:

Thanks, that's actually exactly the sort of helpful, obvious thing that had not occurred to me! I had a little bit of an epiphany today about lashing the seat back to the top of the rack hoop, so I may install the fairing this weekend and give it a try next week.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print