Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:42am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HHH 2015 -  Who is going? (Read 10409 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: HHH 2015 -  Who is going?
Reply #30 - Aug 27th, 2015, 1:07am

Quote from Phantom Rider on Aug 19th, 2015, 7:43am:
9 days away, never been there, never done that.  So enlighten me, cuz I'm intrigued by the concept.

I hear of a bent cage at the start, any truth to this - what is it how does one get in it

Just how ugly is the first 0-5 miles with 10,000 bikes rolling at the same time

Aside from saying hey I rode hotter -n-hell is it really worth it to go?  After all you can ride a century anywhere

If I were to go I would drive out the morning of the ride, is this not a good idea?  Google maps says its only 1.5 hours from home

1. No idea what a bent cage is unless it's where they let a lot of bents start at the same time, did that once but these days just start wherever

2. Depends on how they start, last year it was crowded at the start, previous year they did everyone in stages which made it easier.

3. It's worth it just to see all the other riders and the trip out of Wichita Falls is interesting with all the people on the side cheering things on. After that it's one long straight boring stretch of road with a couple of small towns along the way...finish is great only because you finished Smiley

4. Do NOT drive there in the morning, the traffic and crowds would be massive, better to get there the night before

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Aug 27th, 2015, 1:09am

Quote from reever on Aug 19th, 2015, 8:13am:
Hey Phantom, it's just my opinion, but I think the HHH is the best century in the country. The start is no problem, with the tandems and recumbents released before the huge masses. It's wonderful to be in a ride/race in which you are NEVER by yourself--always someone to catch out in front of you. The trick to the start is to get there EARLY to get a spot in that place up front with all of your recumbent brethren/sisteren. Hope to share a laid back pace line with you there!!!

No offense but the best century in the country in my opinion is Big Dam Bridge 100 in North Little Rock Arkansas, incredible scenery, forests, hills and one big Dam Bridge....

HHH has it's moments but mostly long stretches of nothing

IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #32 - Aug 27th, 2015, 9:58am

No offense taken, mleuck. I just think the HHH gives you your best chance for a good time in a century. Nothing more than rolling hills and plenty of plenty of chances to catch a draft along the way with 14,000 people on the roads. It is a spectacle. Heck, the thing they have there in the civic center with all of the exhibitors is worth the entry fee for the race. I will try out the Big Dam race at some point to try it out. I'd also like to ride one down around Galveston or Corpus that is completely flat and fast. Anybody know of a century that is 100% flat and fast???

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Aug 27th, 2015, 6:03pm

Quote from reever on Aug 27th, 2015, 9:58am:
No offense taken, mleuck. I just think the HHH gives you your best chance for a good time in a century. Nothing more than rolling hills and plenty of plenty of chances to catch a draft along the way with 14,000 people on the roads. It is a spectacle. Heck, the thing they have there in the civic center with all of the exhibitors is worth the entry fee for the race. I will try out the Big Dam race at some point to try it out. I'd also like to ride one down around Galveston or Corpus that is completely flat and fast. Anybody know of a century that is 100% flat and fast???

Katy flatland century (near Houston) - never been but on my list. Pretty sure Mark has done it before

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2015, 10:18pm

Thats really the best 'bent ride around .. well worth the trip to houston.  

Quote from TonyWard on Aug 27th, 2015, 6:03pm:
Katy flatland century (near Houston) - never been but on my list. Pretty sure Mark has done it before

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #35 - Aug 28th, 2015, 8:37am

Quote from Rawhide on Aug 25th, 2015, 7:33pm:
I see me and Bud in that photo!   

We're always in a photo of the front of the start. LOL. At least I have been the last eight years.

I usually wear my rbent jersey at HHH.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2015, 8:53pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print