Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:40am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Northbrook HPRA races, Chicago (Read 4111 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Northbrook HPRA races, Chicago
Jul 25th, 2015, 4:47pm

I timed my visit home to my mom inLexington Kentucky to coincide with Larry Oslund swinging through to the recumbent races here in Chicago.  We rode up together last night, so that was 24 hours if car travel for me  Smiley

The event is held in the Northbrook high school velodrome.  How cool is that??  Riding in a velodrome with banked sides takes a lot if getting used to.  I raced the flying 200m event and had definitely not gotten used to the small right turns, which put me at a great disadvantage.  28.98 mph was only good enough for 9th out of 12.  Winner was Mike Mowett at 38.01mph.

In the 50 lap race, approx 12 miles, I didn't gate much better. I took a prophylactic aspirin before warming up and felt nauseated before we even started.  At the start I unclipped and banged the crap out of of my shin and immediately ruined my chances of getting a draft.  So it became a tt for me instead of a drafting race like it was four everyone else.  Final result was 9th out if 14.  23.9 mph.  Still, I'll take it.  Winner was Larry Oslund with a 27.7.

Tomorrow is a one hour TT and a 1 kilometer sprint.  I expect I'll fair better in the one hour since it's non drafting

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Northbrook HPRA races, Chicago
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2015, 6:31pm

Anyone shooting video of the event?   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2015, 7:08pm

Yeah.  Larry has a virb and there's several gopros.  As I see it, I'll post it.

Quote from Action Lad on Jul 25th, 2015, 6:31pm:
Anyone shooting video of the event?   Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2015, 4:59am

Thanks, I'll be waiting.  I have found my appetite for the TdF just drop to nothing.  Every time I tune in, and every year I come back to watch, I hear louder and louder what Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen said in reaction to seeing a trike paralleling the peloton for a stretch (listen to end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIpDAgeR0E
...then, there was Lance's own admission.  I'm done.  I am much more fascinated by the recumbent world, the improvements in technology, and its races.  

IP Logged
jhbell62

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2015, 1:54pm

Had a good week. 167 miles  at 10.4 mph average on my trike. High point was my fastest 40 K of 1:59:47 at an average of 12.4 mph😎😎

Greenspeed Magnum
Sun EZ3 USX HD
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2015, 6:04pm

Great day of racing.  In the 1km tt, I moved up a place from yesterday, while in the 1 hour time trial I moved up several.  Average speed for both was roughly 24mph.  That's a 40k and hour personal record for me.  Started out with a maintainable pace, ramped it up halfway through, and started passing people.  Could have gone faster, but it's always better race strategy to finish with something in the tank than run out of gas.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PsoRGFFAyRbVol7qUkqJ-rlQFFscX30PxE7qUgtx
96s/pubhtml#

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2015, 7:49pm

Way to go Greg! Man, right turns??? It seems like I'd do better with left turns. And the no drafting race is the true test of what you are worth! I'm sure you are wondering what if in that drafting race--what if you hadn't come unclipped. Wow--how fast would you have been able to achieve???

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2015, 8:22pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jul 26th, 2015, 6:04pm:
Great day of racing.  In the 1km tt, I moved up a place from yesterday, while in the 1 hour time trial I moved up several.  Average speed for both was roughly 24mph.  That's a 40k and hour personal record for me.  Started out with a maintainable pace, ramped it up halfway through, and started passing people.  Could have gone faster, but it's always better race strategy to finish with something in the tank than run out of gas.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PsoRGFFAyRbVol7qUkqJ-rlQFFscX30PxE7qUgt
x96s/pubhtml#

For some reason, the link ended up broken on my computer.  It's easy to patch it up for me, but it stays broken when I try to set it up here.  Good ol' Tinyurl.com works every time:
http://tinyurl.com/pghp2wc

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2015, 8:46pm

Here's the video from Larry, the beginner of the race.  You can watch his wattage, speed, and cadence.  You can also see me go from the front on the start line to getting spit out the back sheet coming unclipped and banging my shins.  Feel free to count the number of times I get lapped by Larry, too  Angry

Though we're pretty sure his power reading from his Garmin pedals ate off.  Our readings show almost the same power output for both of us, and there's no way he should go 3mph faster than me for the same power on a flat smooth surface.

https://youtu.be/Xd1a_sChGW0

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2015, 8:46pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2015, 9:31pm

Photo from the race.  You can sort of see Mike Mowett on his M1 next to me.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2015, 3:18pm

His power meter may not be off........less of his work went into fighting through the wind because he drafted off of that guy the whole time. Neat video! Thanks fir posting it......

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2015, 7:06pm

We were only comparing the non drafting races.  Otherwise, you'd be spot on.  Either way, he's a freaking beast.  especially considering he's had knee and leg surgery and that leg is dramatically smaller than the other.  And he's maybe 10 years older than me too.  Not that it means much in the bent world.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print