Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 16th, 2024, 6:12am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Disc brakes vs rim brakes (Read 7829 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Re: Disc brakes vs rim brakes
Reply #15 - Apr 20th, 2015, 8:23pm

Lots of interesting points made. What I've gleaned from this is there isn't a super compelling performance reason to choose one over the other. Wet performance isn't all that important to me....I don't plan on riding in downpours, and when I did get caught in one I found that rain striking my face at anything above 10 mph was really unpleasant, and the wet braking performance with my rim brakes was adequate.

The reason I posed the question originally is that I'm undecided if the P38 is going to replace my commuter bike or my "go fast" bike. Micah at Easy Street suggested it could do both roles if I was willing to swap out wheels. Disc brakes would definitely simplify changing between the wide rim, heavy duty fat tire commuter wheel set and the skinny speed set. That convenience comes at a pretty high cost though...going to discs means I can't use any of my existing wheels, and the disc brakes are more expensive, especially if I go with the high end ones Vicki likes. It becomes a bit of a triple whammy if I start out with a frame set and build exactly what I want. Next to buying a used one, an "off the rack" bike is certainly the next affordable.  

I dunno what I'm going to do yet, but it sure is nice to have first world problems like this!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Apr 20th, 2015, 8:44pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Apr 20th, 2015, 5:25pm:
There are also brake levers which can adjust to be either long or short pull. Those are nice to help get the pressure just where you want it.

Yes, they are nice. The Shimano R550 is an example of a two-setting lever. A pair of them came on my new Performer low racer. Set them for short pull so the bike's caliper brakes would be as effective as possible.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2015, 10:08pm

Aluminum rims made rim braking far more reliable, but flooding reduces that reliability.  The solution is to learn how to use your brakes in compromising situations.  It may take practice, in the rain or going through puddles.  Riding the brakes in the rain may sound counter productive, but before a steep descent it could provide some control you wouldn't have otherwise.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #18 - Apr 23rd, 2015, 9:43am

Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #19 - Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:21am

You don't see things like this happening with rim brakes:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/trek-recalls-1-million-bikes-rider-para lyzed-article-1.2194234

For those with disc brakes, check your skewers.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
rcko

rbent member

Reply #20 - Apr 24th, 2015, 1:11pm

Even without disc... U should ck skewers before every ride...

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Apr 24th, 2015, 9:36pm

Kool Stop duals is what I use on my bikes. They work great in the rain, mud, or dry. I use the mtb ones for my 26" and 20" wheels. They are Salmon on the front and black on the other end. The Salmon for wet and the black for dry. The Salmon end has a tapered sort of tip for removing mud and rain. $11 and free shipping with no tax from Amazon per pair. They stop both my Rans  V2 and Phantom very well in all conditions. Good luck on your choice.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print