Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:44am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Musashi vs. Trike (Read 2669 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Musashi vs. Trike
Mar 27th, 2015, 10:28am

Quote from JimFPU on Mar 27th, 2015, 1:18am:
Quote from jayg on Mar 25th, 2015, 10:22pm:
Took my Performer X-Low racer to WRL to test out changes I made to it this morning. Rode 14 miles both with and against high winds. The bike lives up to its name "Performer". Unfortunately, its Tektro 725 brakes don't. Followed Mark L for about 3/4 of a mile with the wind. Could not have made a short emergency stop at the speeds we were riding. Going to have to switch to more effective brakes.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/Me20amp20X-Low20Racer_zps0zh mdn8s.jpg

The Performer and I

Am considering a Musashi.  Since you have one tell me the comparisons. What is it you like about yours, and what are the comparisons to a trike?

Jim,

Where do I start. I'll repeat what I've previously posted: "If I could have only one recumbent, it would a Musashi." I have over 13,000 miles on my 2011 bike. The most miles I've put on any one recumbent. Obviously, for me it's a keeper. The most comfortable recumbent I've ever owned. Great handling characteristics. Maneuverable and stable at both low and high speeds. Its 451/700c wheel format provides a better ride on chipseal than the 349 and 406/? formats on Catrikes. With a triple crankset (Stock crankset is a 34/50 compact) it performs well on hilly routes. Its 29 degree seat angle is a nice compromise between aero and comfort (Riders head is not uncomfortably cocked and use of headrest is optional). Arkel "Expedition" bags can be installed for plenty of storage and no detrimental effect on the bike's aerodynamics. The bike's height is somewhere between that of a mid racer and low racer. Just the right height to get nice drafts off of road bikes. Not high enough, though, for a road bike to get a good draft off of it.  Smiley  In my opinion the only weakness of the stock bike is its brakes. For some reason Catbike elected to use Avid FR5 brake levers on the bike. These are long-pull disc brake handles. The bike's caliper brakes are much more effective when paired with short-pull caliper brake levers, such as Shimano BL-R550's.

Bob M owns both a Musashi and a 700, so I'll defer to him for a comparison between the two, rather than comparing my Musashi to my Catrike Speed.  

Jay

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Re: Musashi vs. Trike
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2015, 12:03pm

Didn't mean to pester you about it, just wondered how it compared to the Performer and then the Speed.  I'll wait to see comparisons with the 700.  I do know you liked the bike, but also remember stories about it kicking you off and throwing you on the ground!

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2015, 2:11pm

Quote from JimFPU on Mar 27th, 2015, 12:03pm:
Didn't mean to pester you about it, just wondered how it compared to the Performer and then the Speed.  I'll wait to see comparisons with the 700.  I do know you liked the bike, but also remember stories about it kicking you off and throwing you on the ground!

The Performer is faster, but is not a rally or social ride bike, like the Musashi. If you want to go fast and enjoy riding with others or by yourself, and observe the scenery in total comfort, get a Musashi. The reason the Musashi kicked me off a bunch of times is because midgets and standard frame Musashis don't work well together (165 mm crank arms hit the front tire with the boom pulled way in.). When I installed a 150 mm crankset, and extended the boom, didn't experience crank strike anymore. Medium and tall riders will not experience heel or crank strike on the bike. I'll just make one comparison between the Musashi and the Speed - The Speed requires somewhat more cranking effort to sustain 20 mph than the Musashi does.  

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2015, 6:29pm

When are you going to break down and get a power meter so you can quantify that for us?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2015, 8:53pm

Quote from TonyWard on Mar 27th, 2015, 6:29pm:
When are you going to break down and get a power meter so you can quantify that for us?

Hey, you're a highly-paid data analyst and I'm just a poor retired guy, so I think you should buy some Garmin Vector pedals and loan them to me, along with your Garmin 800.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2015, 6:50pm

I love my Musashi but it's the only recumbent I've ever owned so I'm not sure many help here. Smiley

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2015, 6:51pm

I  can't add much to Jay's evaluation of the Musashi.  A big-footed rider can still get foot interference with the front wheel on low speed turns.  It is, indeed, a comfy bike, although the reason I have mine is the previous rider couldn't make the one-size-fits-all seat comfortable for him.  He is fairly tall and long-waisted.  Though it's not a lightweight, it's not heavy, and the frame is so rigid, it has good efficiency for acceleration and hills.

As for the 700, the new model addresses rolling and air resistance concerns, but mine were neck comfort and weight.  The trike is fun to ride, and handling is easy, but it was a poor choice for touring.  I ride it regularly because it is fun, but also it gives me a workout and keeps my legs in better shape.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print