Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:58pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ticking Wheel (Read 1926 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Ticking Wheel
Sep 26th, 2014, 2:15pm

Have a front wheel on my trike that has developed a ticking sound when riding. I checked the spokes and tightened a couple but it didn't fix it. Checked the QR but found it tight. Headset doesn't have any play in it. Any ideas where else the sound might be coming from? Gremlins?

IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Ticking Wheel
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2014, 4:55pm

Have you tried a drop of oil on each place where spokes cross another and touch?

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2014, 5:00pm

Nope. Hadn't thought of that but will give it a try. Thanks!

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2014, 9:48pm

That usually means a loose (or broken) spoke. Check to see if one is loose.

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2014, 9:49pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2014, 10:57pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Sep 26th, 2014, 9:48pm:
That usually means a loose (or broken) spoke. Check to see if one is loose.

That is what I expected but, although I found a couple that were a slightly loose, tightening them didn't stop the problem.

IP Logged
Ldoc1234

rbent member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2014, 11:02pm

Have you checked the computer /speedometer sensor and magnet- may be just barely making contact as wheel spins.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2014, 4:22pm

Also .. check that presta stem nut, valve core (if you have the newer style) and the valve itself..      I've had my OCD flare up before over tick tick tick sounds and tracked it down to that nut not being tight .

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2014, 5:37pm

Well, I followed up with all suggestions but still haven't located the problem. Just gonna wait and see. If it gets worse, it will eventually show me where it is. Until then, ignoring it will have to do.   Smiley

Thanks very much for all suggestions!

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2014, 6:12pm

There's one more thing to check, Patti. One of our members had a clicking in one of the wheels on his bike and finally traced it down to a broken-off spoke nipple head inside the hollow space in the rim. Had apparently been left in there either when the wheel was being built or later work was done on the wheel. Lift your trike until your clicking wheel clears the ground, then spin the wheel. If it clicks, take the tire and rim tape off and check for a broken-off nipple head.

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2014, 6:13pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2014, 12:13pm

Quote from jayg on Sep 28th, 2014, 6:12pm:
There's one more thing to check, Patti. One of our members had a clicking in one of the wheels on his bike and finally traced it down to a broken-off spoke nipple head inside the hollow space in the rim. Had apparently been left in there either when the wheel was being built or later work was done on the wheel. Lift your trike until your clicking wheel clears the ground, then spin the wheel. If it clicks, take the tire and rim tape off and check for a broken-off nipple head.

I think he is talking about me.  If that is the case it wasn't a broken nipple head - it was a large metal shaving from where they drilled the valve hole.  In the end the remedy is the same.  It was a new wheel that took a few hundred miles for the shaving to break loose and start rolling around in it.  You could hear it roll by spinning the wheel while it was in the air but it had to be really quiet.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2014, 9:03pm

Kathy's old Speed had Sun wheels that made a ticking noise whenever you turned.  I had Mike's guy true them and that eliminated the problem.  I had tried tightening loose feeling spokes, to no avail.  I presume they were all too loose.  A loose spoke may also have a stripped nipple which loosens after you try to tighten it, making noise again.  Flat bearings might also make noise.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print