Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:54am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Texas Time Trials (Read 727 times)
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Texas Time Trials
Sep 21st, 2014, 12:41pm

I'm back, and the time trials were bigger than ever with more than 200 riders.  The 503 mile race had several top ultra racers in it, but the over all winner was a guy from Ohio, Scott Luikart, who beat the old course record by two hours with a 26:16 (he even beat the fastest team).  Ron Swift was the second soloist, also under the old record, with 27:51, on a Carbent.  Maria Parker was the highest placing woman on her Cruzbike, but she struggled, getting sick one lap and hurting her elbow in a spill on a sharp turn.  She was 13th with a 35:28.  Her teammate with Cruzbike, Ted Barnett was 11th.  38 riders started, 26 finished.  Notably, a couple who looked to be in their 60s teamed up to finish 4th overall, and the oldest rider was Bob Page from Ft. Worth, new to ultra-distance riding, who finished 21st in 43:59 on a modified Catrike Road!  He is in his late 60s.  At the other end was a relative youngster who managed 9 of the 19 laps in 44:05.

Among the locals, new Clown Daniel Square-Corners Schaaf got 16th in the 12 hour race with a little over 6 laps.  He started two hours late because the spring broke on his front brake, and he had to wait until daylight to find out what was wrong.  Aikigreg did two laps, for 36th in the 6-hour race,  with his wife, Alexis, a few minutes behind.  The winner, Brian  Reid, did just under 5 laps.

There were no 'bents in the 24 hour race, but a guy came in 10th on a single-speed with 10 laps.  The oldest rider, in his early 60s, came in last with 5 laps.

The 12-hour winner was Rich Pulich on a recumbent, with 8 laps in11:16, ahead of 46 starters.  Two other recumbents were also there (a Musashi came 31st).  And the oldest rider, over 70, was in the 12-hour.  He was 29th, with 5 laps in 10:19!

There were 40 starters in the "sprint," one lap, two DNFed.  Jim Parker came in 6th at 1:12:38 on a modified Cruzbike Vendetta.  The oldest sprinter was James McCan, 17th with 1:29:46 (about 17.6 mph).  He is in his late 60's.

You can see the electronic results at  www.edsresults.com/ttt2014 .

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Texas Time Trials
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2014, 2:45pm

My race ended before i started.  Hadn't trained in a month, woke up sick, and my rear derailleur busted on the first lap.  I thought it was lack of training keeping my hr in the 170s, then pedaled backwards and felt grinding.  Oh well.  It was enough to clinch the ultra cup and have me more time to hang out with Chris who was supporting Maria, and the rest of the cruzbikers.  Thom ollinger, Ron, Jim Parker and I chatted most of the day away.

Sorry I missed you Bob.  I did get to chat with Frank who was volunteering too.  If I can clinch the ultra cup early next year, I'll take back my 1 lap record from Jim Parker, who bested me by a minute yesterday.  I hadn't ridden for three months when I set it three years ago, so I can do it I think.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print