Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:02pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2014 HHH (Read 5898 times)
Bud_Bent

2014 HHH
Aug 23rd, 2014, 8:55pm

Today's blog entry:

I traveled to Wichita Falls yesterday and rode the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred today. This was the eighth straight year I've done the 100 mile route at HHH. I finished the route today, but it wasn't easy. With the miles I've been riding and my fitness level, I had no illusions about being able to challenge my personal best time at HHH, but like always, I did hope to make it around the route in less than six hours. I didn't accomplish that this year.

I stayed at the Lamar Baptist Church recreation building again this year. As always, the hosts there did a great job for the riders. And I enjoyed my visiting with friends last night, most of whom I hadn't seen since last year's HHH or longer. But, just like last year, there were some cancellations  by riders, and there weren't as many recumbent riders as many previous years. The bike show was great fun as always, too. The weather at Wichita Falls was trying to live up to the ride's name this year. It was 103 degrees this afternoon.

Things didn't start out smoothly at the ride. A quarter mile after the start, my Garmin quit. Apparently, its battery has reached the age where it won't hold its charge overnight, and you need to leave it on the charger until right before a ride if you want it to last out the ride. Since I always have it on the charger at home, I had no idea this would happen. I really missed the heart rate monitor. With the extra adrenaline a big ride like this brings, it's easy to misjudge how much effort you're expending, and that heart rate monitor is a good way to tell that.

But the first sixty miles of the ride were a blast. I rode with friend DJ Boyd, who I used to travel to HHH with every year, while we only lived five miles apart. Now I only seem to see him at HHH. His riding mileage was down this year, and he wasn't sure how strong he would finish 100 miles, so we were both trying to draft some, and conserve enough energy to finish strong. At Burkburnett at mile 60, DJ stopped at the rest stop, and just like I had good sense, I rode on.

I don't know if it was because I had misguaged my early effort from not having my heart rate monitor, or if I rode too hard after turning against the considerable wind later in the ride, but at mile 82, I cratered. I had leg cramps so bad I had to stop, and I was on and off the bike the rest of the way. I don't have an official time yet from my timing chip, and of course my Garmin didn't record the time, but I think I finished the 101 miles in something like 6:20. Not good, but like they say, sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. I felt very much like the bug today.

Still, it was a fun trip, and for the eighth straight time, I completed the 100 mile route there. No small accomplishment for a lung challenged old f*rt, I'm thinking.

The sea of cyclists at the start.

DJ at the start.

The HHH 100 mile route.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2021, 4:41pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 2014 HHH
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2014, 10:18pm

I ended up doing the 75 mile route to avoid that south wind as much as possible. You are right that first 60 was an absolute blast, I think I spent most of the eastern route in the highest gear and was doing almost 30 on some sections.

Not sure but I thought the rider count looked to be down this year, they also didn't seem to do the start as well as last year by releasing everyone into staging groups, it was a bit of a mess.

IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2014, 7:16am

Bud's post is right on target.  As he said about the first 60, non-stop, we were doing pretty good.  I had to bail at Hell's gate to refill though.  I couldn't get anything out of the bladder in the seat bag and that left me with only the one 24 oz bottle I had to drink from, for those 60 miles.  I fixed the bladder, refilled and hit the road.  Backing the pace down some, I managed, somehow, to finish just before Bud.  So I'm pleased with my time considering the lack of miles this year.  And no cramping.  I thought I might have a real problem later because of drinking just the one bottle for 60 miles, but no.  Must have been the Pei Wei I ate for supper Friday nightSmiley

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2014, 4:06pm

It was great seeing both of you guys at Lamar Baptist Church and at the start.  Of course, that was the last that I saw of you.  I'm glad you both had a good ride even though there were some issues for you.  Patti and I did the 50, while Urbinrider did 62.  It was a good ride but did get a little toasty around 11am.  I'm glad I got back to the finish by noon.  The poweraid snow cones and pickle juice snow cones at the rest stop before Sheppard Air Base were GREAT.

IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2014, 11:10pm

There's my ride in a nutshell.....notice anything missing? How about the last 21 miles? I made a makeshift tail box out of pink insulation that I think worked okay. Best comment of the day was a guy passing me in a pace line yelling out, "Does that R-40 insulation keep you cool?" Ha!  

I started hearing a really faint 'thump, thump, thump' sound and couldn't figure out if it was just the tail box rubbing on the tire in the sidewind or if it was my tire coming unseated, which has happened to me before. At any rate, I figured there was nothing I could do about it because I forgot my pump. In hindsight I should have stopped at one of the rest stops that had bike mechanics--20/20--I see it soooooo clearly now.

I actually did stop once to examine the rear tire to see if it had come unseated. It usually happens right at the valve stem, so I looked it over pretty closely there and saw nothing. Turns out it had come unseated opposite the valve stem. At mile 79 the thumping got really loud for a second or two and BOOM my race was over. I couldn't even move the back wheel because the inner tube wound around my rear cassette. A huge group of riders that took up both lanes of the road was coming up just behind me and started yelling at me to get off the road. I am afraid I yelled a few things back at them that I am not proud of in my anger and disappointment.

A spectator family picked me up in their Honda truck and gave me a ride back in. I had to borrow a knife from a couple of motorcycle riders to cut my inner tube off of my cassette.

At Hell's Gate I was at 19.9mph average. After I stopped to examine my tire I was down to 19.5mph. I had worked my way back up to 19.8mph when the stuff hit the fan.

Here's what my tire looked like after 40-50 miles of rubbing on my brakes. And what my inner tube ended up looking like.....

Wish I could have done the thing differently!!!!!!!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2014, 11:39pm

Anyone know how/where you view the data from the GPS chip on the number tag?

IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2014, 3:43am

A lot of fun this year in the Quest.

Jim - Sorry about your tire troubles. Good seeing you on the ride!

Write up about the whole HHH weekend here: http://danhansenjr.com/2014/08/23/quest-hotter-n-hell-hundred-ride-report.html

Lots of videos with the Quest.

Email WWW   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2014, 3:45am

Quote from mleuck on Aug 25th, 2014, 11:39pm:

Mark,

Check HERE.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2014, 10:07am

Dan, you do such a great job of recording your rides! I watched all of your videos with my mouth wide open.

You know what I was surprised to see as you passed me was the way the velo was able to rock side to side as you pedaled. I guess the front wheels have independent suspension, huh? Nice for bumps.

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2014, 12:46pm

One more thing about the HHH ride. I know that we recumbents don't throw much of a wake for upright bikes, so we are not valued by them in group rides, BUT when it's just us.....a group of recumbents.....wouldn't it be a good policy to share the load of leading every once in awhile??? I was mildly irritated by a couple of guys who just hung on me for miles without ever offering to take the lead. We can't be a bunch of leaches. Let the DFs be known for that. We've all seen how drastically their speed falls off when they lose their pack. While we are more rugged individualists, when we find ourselves in a group of recumbent riders.........don't be a clocker!

Email   IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2014, 1:28pm

Jim - When I really get after it the Quest does rock side-to-side. Once I lose some weight and smooth out my peddle stroke the side-to-side mostly goes away. Yes, the Quest does have independent suspension on all three wheels.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2014, 8:03pm

Quote from reever on Aug 26th, 2014, 12:46pm:
One more thing about the HHH ride. I know that we recumbents don't throw much of a wake for upright bikes, so we are not valued by them in group rides, BUT when it's just us.....a group of recumbents.....wouldn't it be a good policy to share the load of leading every once in awhile??? I was mildly irritated by a couple of guys who just hung on me for miles without ever offering to take the lead. We can't be a bunch of leaches. Let the DFs be known for that. We've all seen how drastically their speed falls off when they lose their pack. While we are more rugged individualists, when we find ourselves in a group of recumbent riders.........don't be a clocker!

I'm no doubt one of those who irritated you. I didn't realize it was you at the time, but I fell in behind you for a couple of miles while I was pacing myself back up to DJ, after we got separated when I got trapped in a slow group. You could have easily fallen in behind me, I was moving at a similar pace, but you chose to zoom past. And when someone is right behind you, if you simply move left and stop pedaling for a few seconds, whoever is behind you will take that as a sign to take the lead for a while.

Your speed profile is way wrong for most, though. You were slower up the hills than I was willing to ride, and hammered the flats and downhills more than I wanted to (except when I was trying to catch up to DJ).

Sorry you had mechanical issues. I wondered what happened. You still looked strong after a stop, when you passed DJ and I again, so I was curious about what had happened when I saw you in the back of that truck.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2014, 8:20pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2014, 8:11pm

Quote from dd5339 on Aug 26th, 2014, 3:45am:
Quote from mleuck on Aug 25th, 2014, 11:39pm:

Mark,

Check HERE.

Yep, that's the link. Just type in your number or name and it will find your result.

My results weren't so impressive this year, but I was still 17th in my age group, so I guess that's something. That time is too low though, again this year. It makes me wonder if the chip ignores the early start we recumbents do.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2014, 8:32pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2014, 8:32pm

Yes, my speed profile was all over the place. If I didn't have my brakes rubbing on my tire I might have been faster up the hills. I was just trying my best to average 20mph with two chicken legs. I've got very little power, but I have staying power if I keep my revs up.

I wasn't trying to step on any one's toe clips in particular.....just suggesting general practices.

If we rode together more often you might be able to help me even out my speed profile..... Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2014, 9:06pm

Quote from reever on Aug 26th, 2014, 8:32pm:
If we rode together more often you might be able to help me even out my speed profile..... Smiley

More riding with groups will teach you the ins and outs. But as low as your ride is, you're always going to have a different speed profile, and be on your own a lot. And if anyone is right behind you, they definitely aren't doing it for the draft. There just isn't much behind a bike that low.

FWIW, I always carry two spare tubes, even on my 30 mile rides. They don't weigh much or take up much space. But if a tire won't stay on the rim, you need a new tire.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2014, 9:09pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print