Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 24th, 2024, 12:07pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A New Seat for the F5 (Read 6163 times)
Bud_Bent

A New Seat for the F5
Jun 1st, 2014, 12:00pm

My new F5 came without a seat. I pulled the Euromesh seat from my Corsa and have been using it. But, that seat is eight years old, and has over 25,000 miles on it. Plus, pulling it from the Corsa left the Corsa unrideable. I decided the F5 deserved a new seat.

I opted for one of the RailGun seats made by rbenter Kent Polk (goatstick). I received it last week and installed it yesterday. There is still quite a bit of tweaking to be done, but I think the adjustment is getting close. I did 30 miles on it yesterday. This is what the seat looked like when it arrived last week.

My F5 came with only the bottom half of the RANS sprint braces (or rear seat bracket, if you prefer), so I'm using the Corsa sprint braces until I get upper sprint braces fabricated. I didn't find hefty enough aluminum C-channel to suite me for the sprint brace brackets, so I just bought 3/4" square tubing from Lowe's and made this bracket.

I beveled the flat washers on the seat side of the sprint brace mounts, so the flat head screws wouldn't stick up, and since my front bracket is made for a flat head screw bolting from the bottom, I took a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum, bent it to match the curve of the seat, drilled and tapped two holes in it, mounted with screws from the bottom, then ground them off flush. It seems like a very solid mount. The Fastback Double Century bag setup mounts very well on the RailGun seat, and sticks out less on the sides than it did on the Euromesh.  

The headrest is from a Profile Design Aerobar II. I found one on ebay. It was in an obviously very old box, but looks like it was never installed. The pads had never been stuck on their mounting plates. I used a heatgun to bend the headrest bracket, plus added a longer mounting bolt, to get the headrest where I need it. I'm not sure if this is the final adjustment, but it's getting close.

The safety triangle I use on the back of the seat is attached to the Double Century bag. The RailGun is a longer seat than the Euromesh, so the triangle is too low and facing down instead of out. I need to move it higher up on the RailGun seat.

As advertised, the RailGun has a very solid feel. Of course, the down side of that is that it doesn't ride quite as soft as the Euromesh. The 2" thick filter pad that comes with the RailGun is the right pad, I'm thinking. The seat has a very different feel. While most seats seem like they grab and hold your behind, this one seems to grab and hold the lumbar area of your back. There really is no leg interference. And the narrow front of the seat makes it easier to get your feet on the ground, too. How it does for me on longer rides remains to be seen, but it seems very comfortable so far.

Edit: I forgot to mention how good the RailGun seat feels on my shoulders. Both my shoulders are bad. I've already had surgery on my left shoulder, and ruptured my right bicep at the shoulder. I have multiple rotator tears in both shoulders, and for some time now, very reclined longer rides on a narrow Euro style seat with zero shoulder support has been a problem. The RailGun is wide enough at the back that it actually gives some shoulder support. It feels very nice on my shoulders.

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2014, 7:44am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Re: A New Seat for the F5
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2014, 5:53pm

Good to hear the seat is working for you.  Great job on the seat stay mounts and headrest. As I tell all of my customers, the lower the seat angle, the more comfortable the seat tends to be and please try to put your power into the lumbar support instead of the seat back. Let me know if you have any questions or problems. Thanks!

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2014, 8:33pm

Awesome.  I really hope we're able to install mine when I get down there.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 9:54am

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 1st, 2014, 8:33pm:
Awesome.  I really hope we're able to install mine when I get down there.
Did you ever determine the history with the rear seat mount "fix"?

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2014, 9:51pm

I finally have the RailGun seat pretty close to finished. I raised the safety triangle up higher and bought some small automotive door molding to go around the edge of the seat. The carbon fiber was a bit ragged/sharp around the edges. This molding really looks nice on it. I then added two bottle cages to the back of the seat.

I used the three items below to modify the headrest.

With the hacksaw, I sawed about a half inch off the top of the headrest plate. So, instead of being round, it's now mostly round, but with a flat top. This 3/4 moon shape seems to fit the back of my upper neck/head better. Next, I followed Kent's suggestion of putting a pocket microfiber wax applicator pad over the headrest. Finally, I stretched a fabric eyeglass case over everything.

I never thought I would ever use this plush a headrest. All the years I rode the Euromesh seat, I only occasionally used the headrest. But, the RailGun demands more recline than the Euromesh. It just doesn't feel right unless you recline it a lot. With this much recline, I find myself using the headrest most of the time. Combine that with the rough roads I ride, and this plush headrest seems to be just the ticket.

Several years ago, I had bought a cover for the Euromesh pad. I liked it so much, I decided to make a cover for the RailGun pad. I bought 3557 Athletic Mesh from Seattle Fabrics to make the cover from. It seems very similar to the material used on the Euromesh cover, except it has bigger holes.

I traced the pad shape onto newspaper, and used that for a pattern. The RailGun pad is bigger at the back than the front, so I put the zipper there, rather than on the front where it is on the Euromesh cover. I got a friend to sew it for me. I think it's going to work great; no more scratchy filter foam to deal with.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2014, 9:53pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2014, 9:39am

That looks really well done.  Perhaps you could start a side business with Kent!  I dunno about the f5 seat, but the seat pad on the m5 looks like a giant dork Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2014, 10:44am

Great job, Bud! Everyone has different desires and expectations and it's impossible to meet them on a budget. My goal in all of this was to create something as a base for people to work from. Let them work out the details as they wish and you are doing it.

Greg, the shape is there for you to point out when the testosterone really gets thick.

Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2014, 1:52am

How's your seat? I'd be interested in an update. THX

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2014, 5:21pm

I like it. It's always going to ride like a carbon seat, which isn't quite as soft a ride as a Euromesh or Hoagie. The roads I ride around here are so rough, I'm reminded of that often.

When I fabricated the upper half of the sprint brace, I drilled two sets of holes, in addition to the ones where I wanted it adjusted, so I could raise or lower it a notch. Sure enough, I've lowered it a notch since then.  

The lumbar curve is a little more than I like, but with no real seat pan, it probably needs to be. I'm still getting used to that.  I had added a pad below the lumbar area to lessen that some, but ended up removing it.  

I did my first century on the seat last week. I had some aches and pains at the end. Part of that is because I'm still getting used to the seat and part of it is because I hadn't ridden a century since last year.

Between the lower handlebar ends on this bike and the wider seat back of the RailGun, my shoulders feel better on longer rides than they have in a very long time. I really like that wide back.

Seats are a very person preference, but I think this one will agree with lots of riders, as long as they like plenty of recline.

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2014, 5:43pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2014, 5:00pm

Much like the Republicans after the last presidential election, I did an autopsy after the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred this year, to try and figure out what went wrong. (Let's hope I learned more than they obviously have.) Leg cramps had me off the bike several times in the last 18 miles. I've ridden HHH the last eight years. I always give it a high effort, and considering that and the heat, it's not surprising that my legs want to cramp at times. Most of the time, though, I've been able to just ease up my effort, and finish the ride without an off-the-bike caliber of cramp. On two of those rides, however, cramps have stopped me.

The first obvious observation is that on all six HHH rides where I finished without stopping for cramps, I was riding a Euromesh seat on a Corsa. When I cratered with cramps, I was riding a CCK seat on a Roadster, then a RailGun seat on an F5. What do these seats have in common? If it had only been the RailGun, I would have probably blamed it on the extreme recline. But, with the CCK on the Roadster, there was enough rear wheel interference that I couldn't recline the seat as much as I wanted, not even as much as the Euromesh was reclined on the Corsa.

Besides being made out of carbon fiber, the other thing these seats have in common is that they don't have much of a seat pan. That is, they don't curve up at the front of the seat to give you something for your behind to rest against as you slide forward. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that this is the most likely cause of my lack of comfort, and leg cramps on long, hard efforts, on these seats. Not all seats work for all people, and I'm thinking that Euro style seats which have no seat pan just don't work as well for me. My first effort to help with this was to put a small piece of wally world camper pad at the front of the CCK seat, under the regular seat pad. I just put velcro on the top and bottom of it, to keep it in place. Here is that pad.

That lessened the feeling that I was about to slide off the front of the seat, but was never enough to get me really comfortable with the CCK seat. I had kept this pad, and used it again on the RailGun seat, but it obviously wasn't nearly enough to make the seat comfortable for me. On a short ride, it wouldn't be a problem. And I don't normally ride more than 10 to 15 miles without stopping, but I had noticed aches and pains if I went longer without a stop on the RailGun.

My first thought was to just go back to the Euromesh seat. But, I like that wide seatback on the RailGun, and the support it gives my cratered shoulders, so much that I decided to try creating a seat pan for it, first. I took the camper pad that I was already using, and glued several more camper pad pieces to it, to make a wedge.

Next, I put masking tape around the wedge and painted it black.

Finally, I wrapped it with the same material I had used to make the seat pad cover.

Here is the RailGun seat with it installed, and the Euromesh seat laying on top, for a rough comparison.

After installing this setup, I raised the seat two notches. It's still seems a bit more reclined than the Euromesh was, but it's close to what was comfortable for me all those years on the Euromesh. It's no doubt a bit less aerodynamic, but improves my view of the road. I rode the F5 for three weeks with this new setup, and it did seem like an improvement. It still didn't seem like enough, though. Behind the pad, and in front of the lumbar curve on the RailGun, is a valley that my behind and tailbone sat in. I felt like I needed to add one more longer piece of camper pad underneath the wedge, to fill this valley. Here is what I made.

It goes from the front of the wedge, almost to the start of the lumbar curve of the RailGun. Here is the wedge on top of it.

And here is the seat with its new configuration.

It does seem much more comfortable for me. I haven't done any really long rides on it, though. It will probably be next year's HHH before I know if it's as comfortable for me as the Euromesh was. We'll see.

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2014, 5:03pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2014, 9:45pm

Looks like your addition really adds height to the seat. How tall are you? I might like to try one of the seats sometime, if yours doesn't workout. Grin

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2014, 10:01pm

Actually, it doesn't add much height. The really narrow front of the seat just sits between your legs and is not what your arse is on, anyway.

I'm 5' 9", and the F5 Pro has 700C wheels, so it's kind of tall. I have no problem reaching the ground, but my legs are pretty long for my height (I was 5' 11" in my younger years, before my back deteriorated into the shape of a mountain trail).

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print