Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:44am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lancaster Country Ride (Read 2180 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Lancaster Country Ride
Apr 13th, 2014, 6:19pm

Check out the following RBENTer photos on Bicycle-Stuff (http://www.bicycle-stuff.com/photo2014/04-GDB/page.html):

Shelley S on her Musashi - Photo No. 162

Steve S on his new Trail - Photo No. 169

Jay G on his Musashi - Photo No. 209

Bobcat in his banana velo - Photo No. 254

Steve E on his Expedition - Photo No. 285

Richard & Vicky R on their tandem - Photo No. 291

Patti E on her Road - Photo No. 318

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Lancaster Country Ride
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2014, 8:27pm

When I sagged a group in we followed the "new" banana for a while. I had to give a short history lesson of it's maker and aerodynamics.  And I get "but isn't it hard to ride in side winds"?

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2014, 11:59am

I handed my camera to Justine for a couple pics...  aerodynamics are good...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2014, 1:37pm

I'm totally buying this one from Pedal Pix: he caught me passing a DF rider who was walking up a particularly gnarly hill on the Bluebonnet Trail.  Muahahahaha.   Smiley
http://www.felixfotographer.com/p189238047/h2b8c684#h2b8c684

Thanks for the run-down on the bicycle stuff pics, Jay!

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2014, 2:07pm

Quote from shellbear on Apr 14th, 2014, 1:37pm:
I'm totally buying this one from Pedal Pix: he caught me passing a DF rider who was walking up a particularly gnarly hill on the Bluebonnet Trail.  Muahahahaha.   Smiley

Impressive you easily cranked a 14 lb heavier (than a road bike) bike up that hill in a 34/32 gear combination. I probably climbed that same hill on my Musashi in a 24/32 combination.

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2014, 3:28pm

Quote from jayg on Apr 14th, 2014, 2:07pm:

Impressive you easily cranked a 14 lb heavier (than a road bike) bike up that hill in a 34/32 gear combination. I probably climbed that same hill on my Musashi in a 24/32 combination.

*Takes a bow*  To be fair, IMO this was not the hardest hill on the course, probably because it was so early on (around mile 16 right?).  That distinction goes to a hill around mile 48, I think on Smith Cemetery Rd. after a left turn where the road winds gradually uphill and then peaks quite sharply as you pass a lovely house with huge trees and a big front porch, advertising goats out front for sale.  For some reason I found that one to be particularly difficult and I actually contemplated hopping off and walking.  But I spun it out at about 3.5mph and made it through!  Woo!  Definitely would have been easier with different gearing though.  Sometimes I wish I were more of a gear-head so I didn't suffer so much on what really is not much of a hill in terms of nation-wide offerings, but still pretty steep for these parts...

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2014, 5:48pm

Quote from shellbear on Apr 14th, 2014, 3:28pm:
Quote from jayg on Apr 14th, 2014, 2:07pm:

*Takes a bow*  To be fair, IMO this was not the hardest hill on the course, probably because it was so early on (around mile 16 right?).  That distinction goes to a hill around mile 48, I think on Smith Cemetery Rd. after a left turn where the road winds gradually uphill and then peaks quite sharply as you pass a lovely house with huge trees and a big front porch, advertising goats out front for sale.  For some reason I found that one to be particularly difficult and I actually contemplated hopping off and walking.  But I spun it out at about 3.5mph and made it through!  Woo!  Definitely would have been easier with different gearing though.  Sometimes I wish I were more of a gear-head so I didn't suffer so much on what really is not much of a hill in terms of nation-wide offerings, but still pretty steep for these parts...

I thought you were climbing one of the initial steep hills on the common portion of the 42 and 62-mile routes. Early on I replaced the stock compact double crankset on my Musashi with a triple. Then changed the granny gear from 30T to 24T. I don't like having to breathe hard on climbs, so I spin up really steep hills, like those first two on Sugar Ridge Road in a 24T/32T gear combination at 4 to 6 mph. Would have to stop and walk portions of both of those hills, if I tried to climb them in the lowest gear combination on your bike (34/32).

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2014, 6:45pm

Quote from jayg on Apr 14th, 2014, 5:48pm:

I thought you were climbing one of the initial steep hills on the common portion of the 42 and 62-mile routes. Early on I replaced the stock compact double crankset on my Musashi with a triple. Then changed the granny gear from 30T to 24T. I don't like having to breathe hard on climbs, so I spin up really steep hills, like those first two on Sugar Ridge Road in a 24T/32T gear combination at 4 to 6 mph. Would have to stop and walk portions of both of those hills, if I tried to climb them in the lowest gear combination on your bike (34/32).

Yes, that picture is from one of the first climbs, around mile 16, in the common 42/62 route.  I just thought it was funny to see that guy walking up when I didn't feel like it was the most challenging hill I encountered that day.  There were folks walking up the other hill I mentioned as well.  Just weird since we 'bents have the reputation for being poor climbers.

I never have cardio problems, only leg strength challenges up the steeper hills.  Long and steady is not as much of a problem for me but I can see how those concerned about cardio exertion would have issues.  I have found that I definitely exert myself more riding my upright Townie around the neighborhood or taking a jog than I do riding the 'bent.  Makes sense, the heart is pumping harder against gravity in an upright position.  

I really should upgrade my ride logging paraphernalia to include a cadence monitor and HRM along with a decent GPS computer, but that's not currently in the budget.  So I use a phone app instead!

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2014, 12:28pm

Yes, that's a tough climb, though...  and LOTS of riders walk it -- even the climb approaching Sugar Ridge road!  However, the Smith Cemetery climb is around 9% -- the steepest (albeit short) one out there on the course.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print