Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:01am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
East Texas State Park Cycling Tour (Read 1606 times)
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

East Texas State Park Cycling Tour
Apr 4th, 2014, 11:11pm

Hopefully some others will chime in here with additional details and pictures.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/473026584
Four riders (Kenny, Richard, Cookie and I) left Winnsboro around 10 am Sunday morning headed to visit 3 different State parks in East Texas.  We traveled 41 miles all towing our camping gear in trailers and followed/supported by Sweeper (thanks again for going with us Sweeper!) and headed to Daingerfield State Park where we spent our first night relaxing and swapping stories around the camp fire.  

pt1 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/473026598
pt2 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/473026622
Day 2 saw us heading out of Daingerfield SP and going to Caddo Lake SP.  Our route for the day was 45 miles and had heavy traffic - we vowed next time to find a better road for this stretch.  As we sat in camp that evening we watched a lighning storm off to our north and were fortunate it just sprinkled for a minute or two on us.  The 5 of us hopped into Sweepers car and went looking for a place to eat finally finding a backwoods bar that surprisingly served food though we were the only people there that weren't 3 sheets to the wind.  Most of our group was disappointed to find out we were too early for the Testicle Festival that was planned for the end of April (calf fries were leading the menu along with some bands).....I wouldn't be surprised if someone would be making the trip out there again in the next couple of weeks  Grin

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/473026641
Day 3 took us to Atlanta SP via Atlanta TX - the hills sure seemed to pick up and start building but the road north up to Atlanta was great with some long smooth wide shoulders.  We had the wind at our back and made it in record time (for us).  We stopped for breakfast at a convenience store and I have to tell you there is nothing like seeing an Asian convenience store clerk that opens his mouth and sounds just like any east Texas good ol' boy you have ever heard.  I found it quite humorous - I guess you had to be there.  After arriving at the park and setting up camp and cleaning ourselves up we headed into Atlanta to eat at Luigi's Italian food which was really good and highly recommended.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/473026670
Day 4 was Atlanta SP back to Daingerfield SP and traveled straight south for a good stretch into some decent headwind.  It was strong enough to require pedaling downhill otherwise you would begin to slow.  We all kept expecting rain was it was overcast the entire day and I think I might have even felt some sprinkles at some time but nothing more than that.  They were calling for rain and high winds overnight so we debated all day to on what to do on the last night and ultimately decided to spring for a $100 cabin in the campgrounds in hopes of staying dry.  When we got to the campground we found out all 3 cabins were already reserved so we had to stay in the tents.  Fortunately it lightly rained for only a few minutes in the middle of the night and did't get much wet (other than our tents) so we dodged a bullet there and saved some money.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/473026694
Day 5 was Daingerfield back to Winnsboro and our cars.  I think we were all anxious to get back home after several long tiring days pulling 50+ lb trailers.  That morning Sweeper headed back home and left us riders to our own devices.  About half way back Kenny, Cookie and Richard decided to pull into Mc D's - having had enough of that place on the trip and being ready to get home to see the wife and kids I pushed on finishing the last 20 miles of the day solo.  I think those were probably the longest 20 miles of the trip...... there is nothing like seeing a sign  for a town being "only" 6 miles away, I mean 6 miles normally is trivial for me and I can finish it in 20 minutes or so....then you realize you have been averaging 9 miles an hour all day and have been taking a break every 5 miles for the last 2 hours.  But we all finally made the 218 miles and had a good time.  

I appreciated the opportunity to learn from the guys about how to do bike touring as this was my first self contained tour.  I got some good pointers, had some laughs and really disconnected from life for a while. Thanks for letting the 'KID' come along!  I'm already thinking about my next adventure.  Oklahoma anyone?

I don't have many pictures as Sweeper was doing a good job covering the events of the days but I think this sums up my thoughts pretty well.  It's the small victories!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: East Texas State Park Cycling Tour
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2014, 2:59pm

Good picture, Tony!   Grin

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2014, 5:25pm

Nice report Tony. Richard said he was going to make a report and put it on some web site, he will let us know where it can be found. Hope Sweeper can get a few pictures on the Forum. I found the speed chart very interesting, if you look at all the times you fell below 10 mph we were going up hill. Anyone care to count all the hills? I don't, just remember there ain't NO HILLS in Texas!! Went for a 25 mile ride today and picked a rode wit NO hills!!! See you Clowns Tuesday.. (this is how I feel  Smiley)

IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2014, 12:39pm

I just love the rolling hills and scenery of East TX.  This sounds like so much fun!!!  I'd love to join in someday, but having only 2 wks PTO makes it next to impossible...  Thanks for the report!

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print