Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:28am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Rocketman... (Read 3443 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

The Rocketman...
Feb 10th, 2014, 1:26pm

I FINALLY got the chance to take the new Rocket build out for a spin, yesterday, in between business trips and crappy weather...  Thanks to those who generously donated parts to the project -- I had John Paulus do final cabling and assembly.  I went out for about 10 miles around Rowlett late in the afternoon, after the streets had dried out and before it began to get too chilly/damp again!   A ride report:

*  Before I went out, I added a couple pieces of inner tube inside the seat V-clamp, to help prevent it from slipping -- I  have done that on my Xstream V-clamp as well -- works nicely, I can take off at full power with no clamp slippage!

*  A SWB is a somewhat new experience for a dedicated LWB guy like myself, although I did ride the Rocket for 10-12 miles up at the RANS rally back in September....  I was instantly reminded that the steering is more "twitchy" -- the front end moves more than I'm used to, with typical steering adjustments, and my first couple of turns were a little sharper than I intended!  However, I got acclimated quickly - LIGHT touch on the steering!!!

*  Gearing is standard 28/39/52, with 11-32, so it's got nice climbing ability and top end as well...    

*  I've got the Slingmesh seat on it, at a recline of 45-50 degrees -- very comfortable, with still decent support against a "push" -- and I had cut about 6" off the riser, to drop the bars to a comfortable position out of line-of-sight, but yet without significant leg interference to the grips.

*  I do like the maneuverability and smaller turning radius -- as I crossed over the vehicle sensor to open our neighborhood gate, I could then swing around and circle within the single lane as I waited for the gate to swing open!  Fun... (watch that heelstrike!)  

*  Shifting is smooth through all ranges of gearing, and the overall ride is very comfortable.  I've got a 1.1" Durano on the front, and a 1.5" Marathon Plus(?) on the 20" front -- Going over railroad tracks and bumpy streets wasn't as rough as I thought it might be -- having the 1.5" tire on the front probably helps with that (and helps traction).

*  It's rear disc brake and front V-brake...  Front braking is solid -- but rear disc braking felt insufficient.  I figured that was due to the "alligator" brake rotor I had installed, that has a lot less braking surface than a standard AVID rotor.  I changed out the rotor to a AVID, but now something's a little off -- one side edge of the rotor hits the BB5 housing at the end of the slot, so I'm going to have to play with it a bit before riding it again.

*  Riding it out on the highway service road, up and down hills and into/with the wind, I can really tell the difference in aerodynamics compared to the Xstream...  which isn't much of a surprise, I suppose.  However, speed is very engine-dependent, no?  

*  RANS didn't do the clearcoat finish on it, apparently due to complications with red paint / decal bleeding -- so the decals can get damaged if you're not careful, like on the old StratusXP.  A little disappointing.

To summarize, I do like it...   variety is good, I've just got to re-train my brain/legs to avoid any heelstrike in sharp turns, and be a little more careful in turns (in general) than I'm used to due to the shorter wheelbase.   It's a very easy-handling bike -- but I doubt I'll every suggest that Terrie ride it, due to the heelstrike potential.   I even got two "Cool Bike!" comments from drivers when I was stopped at lights....  (grin)  The XStream is still my main steed, for sure, but the plan for now is to use the Rocket on casual to moderate-paced club/group rides like the Lancaster bike shop group, or especially the GDB Sunday Roll, where we explore various parts of Dallas and often go onto paved trails and such.  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rcko

rbent member

Re: The Rocketman...
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2014, 8:16pm

Nice looking bike!

IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2014, 7:27am

Paul, how exactly is the Rocket as shown, different from the Vrex?  Other than the stick frame instead of the Vrex's space frame.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2014, 2:18pm

Looks like the new Rocket would be more friendly to short-legged riders than the V Rex (Seat height is lower). Probably a little more aero than the V Rex, as it has a higher bottom bracket.

Quote: "I've just got to re-train my brain/legs to avoid any heelstrike in sharp turns...". Short cranks might alleviate the problem, as they did for my Musashi. I had bruises on top of other bruises from hitting the pavement so often, before I installed the short cranks.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2014, 3:58pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Feb 11th, 2014, 7:27am:
Paul, how exactly is the Rocket as shown, different from the Vrex?  Other than the stick frame instead of the Vrex's space frame.

I think the pedal position is a bit higher relative to the seat, and the frame is probably stiffer.  It's a VERY easy reach to the ground...   It's also disc rear brake, to be able to swap easily between 26" and 20" if you want to.

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2014, 4:00pm

Quote from jayg on Feb 11th, 2014, 2:18pm:
... I had bruises on top of other bruises from hitting the pavement so often, before I installed the short cranks.  Smiley

Precisely what I want to avoid.........    Smiley

Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2014, 9:42pm

I can't imagine a better all-around bike. And, after you have scuffed the new off of it and it has blown over in your driveway a time or two... It would be easy enough for the newbie to get on a ride, especially since adjustment is so easy.

{jealous!!}

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2014, 12:22pm

Quote from Rat Rider on Feb 23rd, 2014, 9:42pm:
I can't imagine a better all-around bike. And, after you have scuffed the new off of it and it has blown over in your driveway a time or two...

Especially since they don't do the clearcoat over the paint on the Rocket...   Angry

After a half-dozen rides and ~150 miles, I'm getting a feel for it...    definitely a different beast.  I put a 1.3" Kojak on the front, replacing the 1.5" Marathon Racer.  Compared to the Xstream, I notice bumps a lot more, due to the combination of the smaller front wheel and it being right underneath me - going down the WRTrail, seam bumps get transmitted right up into the handlebars.  Fortunately, John P installed "ergo" grips with a bit more surface area and traction for the hands, and the grips are fairly widely spaced, allowing good "control torque".

It can zip along, although the seating position is definitely not as aero.  I was sprinting along West Lawther at one point Thursday night, and had a bit of instability on one of the curves at speed, and had to slow down a bit -- which was simply my own oversteer inexperience related to the shorter wheelbase.  Gonna have to watch myself in faster situations...  but this isn't the bike I would use for that, typically.

Still, it responds nicely, the main tube is solid with no noticeable flexing.  The slingmesh seatback saps a bit of power, but not much - that's just due to it being a mesh.  I was able to climb Flagpole Hill without any particular trouble.    

As mentioned, it's a very easy reach to the ground at stops, as well - and with the 20" front wheel, there isn't a lot of "rise" in the seat/frame if you have to move it forward for a shorter rider.  Matter of fact, a shorter rider might even consider changing to 20/20 mode, further dropping the seat, and going with higher gearing.  The startup is very easy as well, without the low-speed wobble that can happen on a LWB.  Surprisingly enough, I've had no instances of heelstrike, which has been a pleasant surprise.

Curiously enough, I've gotten several comments from other GDB riders, about "is it faster than your other bike?"  and "it looks like a fast bike"...  Smiley    I simply mumble something about aerodynamics, and go on my way...  Cheesy  I don't have a computer/speedo on the bike, so I don't know exactly what mph I'm doing when hitting it hard - but it's definitely in the 20's.

Looking at the back wheel, I think I could put a 700 on it if I wanted to...  however, I can pretty much top out due to wind resistance already with the 559, so it wouldn't do much for me.

I got on the Ghost yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks, and it took me a few moments to readjust to the different steering...   Shocked  but then I was fine...  Felt like it missed me...  sure was nice riding into that north wind for 10 miles or so!!!

PB

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2014, 12:29pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2014, 10:13pm

The specs for the Rocket on the RANS website say that the Hoagie seat isn't recommended...  but I've put it on recently, and did a century last week (the Harder 'n Hell Hundred), and it worked quite nicely...  I had to cut an extra couple of inches off the riser to get the bars out of my line of sight, but it worked great.

When I put the Slingmesh seat back on later in the week, I had to raise the bars back up, but there is plenty of tube length on the fork stem...

So, the Hoagie works, and gives you better aerodynamics than the SM seat.

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2014, 10:19pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2014, 8:10pm

Thats a beautiful bike, Paul. I wish they made it in a size small enough to fit short folks. Rans says minimum x-seam on that one is 36" -  WAY to long for my short legs   Grin

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2014, 10:55am

Yes, my pal Justine just barely was able to ride one of the Regular length frame Rockets last year at the RANS rally.  Must be similarly leg-challenged!!!  Putting on shorter cranks at least helps with the issue...  she had the seat clamp all the way forward, and the recline minimized, which obviously isn't the optimum situation.

Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2014, 4:55pm

Typically, for me, its either reach the pedals OR reach the ground but not both.   Smiley

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2014, 10:13am

Getting the Rocket set up for night/trail/winter riding -- put 1.75"  Marathon Plus tires on, front and back...  Slingmesh seat for more upright seating, putting the 4-LED MagicShine light on the handlebars.

Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2014, 5:50am

Do you get any strobing from the light being on the handlebar? I've always been afraid of being freaked out by the shadows created by my own furiously flailing feet.  

Yes, I'm a weirdo.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2014, 11:08am

Nah.....

Pages: 1