Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 24th, 2024, 8:02am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cruzbike Silvio 2.0 (Read 18766 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Cruzbike Silvio 2.0
Reply #30 - Apr 13th, 2014, 4:05pm

Quote from rcko on Apr 13th, 2014, 10:37am:
Very nice looking Machine. Congratulations!

I like how it integrates road specific "hood" brake and shifter levers on the hybrid handle bar assembly.  Wonder if this a set up that could be duplicated on a stick high racer like a Corsa, Rifle etc by using a tiller?  Not sure how much tilt can be achieved from a tiller and or reach required to make it work.

The bottle mount location is very convenient as well.

Thank you.

Maybe a length-adjustable M5 or Metabike tiller in conjunction with Silvio handlebars would work on a stick bike. Tiller angle might be too great, though. Would be an interesting experiment. Riding the Silvio, I sure don't miss my shins hitting superman bars, like they do as a result of failed attempts to clip into stick bike pedals.  Smiley  

I really like the ease of operation of the SRAM Force brifters on the bike. Also, like that they give the rider something comfortable to hold onto, and the rider's fingers are at the ready to instantly apply the brakes when the need arises.  

Yes the water bottle location is convenient. I've replaced the standard bottle cage I initially installed on the bike with a small, aero bottle/carbon cage combo (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/airway.aero.water.bottle.cage.k it/562/56236/).    

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Apr 13th, 2014, 4:52pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Apr 13th, 2014, 1:07pm:
Jay

I think you made a wise decision by not taking up CruzbikeChris on his offer, I too was interested in the Silvio.  After a few attempts on his conversion I quickly decided that was not for me and made my transition from the P-38 to my Rifle.  After riding a couple thousand miles on the high racer i often wonder if I would have a different experience now.

Enjoy following your story, please keep the info coming and I'm very much intrigued by the silvio.

Joe, even with your current high racer experience, still think your initial impression of a Cruzbike might not be the best. However, I think you would definitely have a steep learning curve with your current experience, and take to it fairly rapidly. I started feeling real good about the bike when I could get it to go in a straight line and cruise at decent speeds without much hand/arm input. Took, maybe, 40 to 50 miles of riding for that to happen. It gets better and better, as the miles add up. A couple of weeks ago when it was warm, and I felt extra strong, climbed a steep, short hill faster than I've ever climbed it on one of my other recumbents. Hope that's going to be a trend, and not a one-time event. I have to grind it out on steep, long hills, because its lowest gear combination is 34T/32T. The bike was designed for road bike double cranksets. Some owners have installed triples by grinding tabs off chainrings and installing BB shims to shift the crankset off-center to the right.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #32 - Jul 27th, 2014, 9:25pm

Did an 18.1 mph WRL lap on the Silvio, several weeks ago. But, topped that on the Musashi, last Tuesday, with a 18.8 mph lap. Decided to add an 100 mm extension to the Silvio's front chainstay to raise the bottom bracket several inches in a quest for additional speed. I expected the $90 extension to be an aluminum/carbon composite to match the carbon stay, but it turned out to be a relatively heavy aluminum weldment. Killed me to add another 5.5 ounces to the already heavy front triangle. The extension raised the bottom bracket to about the same position as a Vendetta's BB is relative to its seat bottom, and the boom's position is similar to that of the Vendetta's. May make a speed run on WRL's West Lawther speedway, tomorrow morning, to test the new configuration.

All-aluminum chainstay extension.

Original configuration.

Configuration, after installation of 100 mm chainstay extension.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2014, 12:46pm

Ate a small breakfast at about 8:00 AM and headed for WRL, about 9:30 AM to test the new configuration. Rode counterclockwise to the Northeast corner of the lake to look for Kenny J. No Kenny, so headed back to Sunset Bay to adjust the bike's boom in about a 1/4". Headed out clockwise, feeling more power to the pedals as a result of the adjustment. Low energy, so I stop at the 7/11 for a big bottle of Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino and a bananna. Continued on to the West Lawther speedway. Waste of time, because my low energy persisted, and I was cruising at a very unimpressive 16 mph into a 10 mph headwind. Took the bike up to 28.4 mph on the run South of the Culture Center, but that was not impressive, because of the 10 mph tailwind. Rode a total of 16 miles. Will wait for a day when the Force is with me, and there is no headwind, before I conduct another test to see if raising the BB provides a perceptible speed increase. One thing I do notice about the bike is that it seems to climb better than my other bikes on WRL's short hills. Not too pleased with the 10-speed, 11T/32T cassette installed on the bike (too much cadence differential between cogs). May change to a 12T/27T, close-ratio cassette, like I have installed on my Musashi and Carbent. 

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2014, 12:58pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #34 - Jul 29th, 2014, 8:16am

Your sluggish speeds and excuses were probably a result of the extra 5 ounces.  I'm also suprised to see a water bottle mounted.  You're carrying way too much stuff on that thing Jay.

On another scientific note: adding a surrey may help with all of the speed/weight issues.  Talk to Kenny.

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2014, 8:17am by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Jul 29th, 2014, 5:07pm

Quote from JimFPU on Jul 29th, 2014, 8:16am:
Your sluggish speeds and excuses were probably a result of the extra 5 ounces.  I'm also suprised to see a water bottle mounted.  You're carrying way too much stuff on that thing Jay.

On another scientific note: adding a surrey may help with all of the speed/weight issues.  Talk to Kenny.

You don't know how bummed out I was when I pulled the packaged extension out of my mail box and felt how heavy it was. The front triangle has a mind of its own when loading and unloading the bike from my van and handling it on the ground. It wants to swing around the head tube. The new, heavy extension just exaggerates the problem.

Today was a high energy day for me, so I might have been crowing about how fast a bike it is, if I had been riding it.  Smiley

Had to break down and install a water bottle/holder combo. It's a midget one, though.  Smiley

The only way the bike would ever have a surrey top on it would be if you got your hands on it. And, that's not gonna happen.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Reply #36 - Jul 30th, 2014, 6:13pm

Way heavier then I thought it would be for sure. I still might want to try one, awaiting your analysis first though to see. I do see a lot of folks on CB forum bragging about it.

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Jul 30th, 2014, 7:31pm

Quote from CruzbikeChris on Jul 30th, 2014, 6:13pm:
Way heavier then I thought it would be for sure. I still might want to try one, awaiting your analysis first though to see. I do see a lot of folks on CB forum bragging about it.

Chris, I'm afflicted with weight weenie disease, so I might be more sensitive to the extension's weight than you would be.  Smiley  

IMO the extension makes the bike look better, because it positions the boom closer to horizontal.  

I have to slide into the seat, now, like I had to on my Baron low racer. May remove the water bottle and cage from the boom and move the handlebar towards the BB to open up the cockpit a little.

Tomorrow would have been a good day to test the bike's speed capability with the higher bottom bracket, but rain is forecast, so I'll be riding my mud bike (Musashi). Maybe I'll get a chance to do it next week.

Email   IP Logged
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Reply #38 - Jul 30th, 2014, 8:59pm

Yea Jay I'm not really concerned about weight like that with the old conversion, now that thing would flip around on me like no tomorrow. I will wait on your review.

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print