Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:14pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
In Memory of Jman AKA Joe Martin (Read 4120 times)
Urbinrider

rbent member

In Memory of Jman AKA Joe Martin
Jul 31st, 2012, 4:17pm

I am sorry to say one of or friends passed away this morning. Joe Martin  or as we know him as Jman.  he loved riding his bikes all of them he has had many we have tried to count he could tell alot about how they handled and how much fun he enjoyed riding with all of us in the past rides.  He will be missed  
Rest in peace  

here we are getting reading to go for one of our rides to river legacy park  

and Joe on his Mach I  he enjoyed building it  

I Will post more pic if I can find some

Easy Racer Tour Easy got to love it
T W Bents Artifis
  IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Re: In Memory of Jman AKA Joe Martin
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2012, 4:37pm

This was Hotter N Hell 2008

Joe and rode the 100K  At the 40mi rest stop he had a flat and he thought he was done for the day.
 he told me to go on and he would get a ride back. Then someone in a SAG truck told me my friend  
got a tire and tube and he was coming and we finished together. he never wanted to give up.  

Joe At the 50mi rest stop  

T W Bents Artifis
  IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2012, 5:35pm

I bought my first bent from Joe several years ago.  Can't say that we were close friends, but we did chat from time to time by private message and phone.

We had planned on doing the Tour De Cure together, but Joe had to back out due to the injuries that he had received in an accident recently.  

Joe was scheduled to receive a brand new trike this weekend courtesy of ARFA of Texas.  He and I were planning on going riding as soon as he got it.  He was very excited about this.

He will be missed by the bent community.

Urbinrider, do you know any details about Joe's passing?  Was it related to his recent accident or just his physical issues that he has been living with.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2012, 5:38pm

RIP Joe - tailwinds

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2012, 6:59pm

Wow, I am shocked and so sorry to read this. Rose and I met Joe right after we started riding. RIP Joe. Condolences to his family and friends.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2012, 9:11pm

Quote from freakflyer9999 on Jul 31st, 2012, 5:35pm:
Joe was scheduled to receive a brand new trike this weekend courtesy of ARFA of Texas.  He and I were planning on going riding as soon as he got it.  He was very excited about this.

Yes he was very excited about getting his new trike and Urbinrider and I had planned on going down with our trikes to ride with him on the Trinity Trail. I've contacted Jane and Greg (ARFA)--their heart goes out to Joe's family and friends.  

Quote from freakflyer9999 on Jul 31st, 2012, 5:35pm:
Urbinrider, do you know any details about Joe's passing?  Was it related to his recent accident or just his physical issues that he has been living with.

According to Joe's oldest son, it was a respiratory issue which I wouldn't think was caused by his dislocated shoulder.  I'm  sure Urbinrider will post more as he finds out more from the family. This was quite a shock to us all.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2012, 9:33pm

Oh man...and  I just met him iirc, on aikigreg's Trinity trail ride.  What happened??  He seemed ok then...???

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
ARFAofTexas

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2012, 9:55pm

I received the called from his son today about Joe's passing. I was totally in shock when I heard the news. I talked to him just yesterday to let him know I had picked up the TerraTrike Cruiser and sent him pictures last night. He was so excited about receiving it next week and we were so looking forward to meeting him. Joe seemed to me to be a person just so full of life no matter what. We here at ARFA were thrilled to have known him for the short time we did. Our hearts reach out to his family and friends during this time of mourning and healing.

May there be a TerraTrike in Heaven waiting for you Joe and happy Triking.

ARFA of Texas
Renay Andrews
CEO

Email WWW   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2012, 10:12pm

Our prayers go out to the family..

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2012, 10:12pm

I am so sad to hear of this.  If anyone has info on his funeral or anything, let us know.  I'd like to send flowers, at least.  Joe was a funny guy, and very kind as well.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2012, 8:21am

Next week, Joe was to have been the first recipient of a new trike from ARFA of Texas.  The mission of ARFA of Texas, Assistive Recumbents for All, is to assist people with different types of disabilities, disorders and/or injuries who cannot ride traditional two-wheel cycles to receive recumbent style cycles.

As I and others have stated, Joe was very excited about this opportunity to continue riding.  He was very thankful for this and had communicated his gratitude in a letter to ARFA that Jane has posted on the Easy Street Recumbents Facebook page.  (I've reposted the text of his letter below).

I am sure that ARFA will find another deserving recipient for the trike they had arranged for Joe, however, their work doesn't end with just the one trike.  I think that it would be a fitting memorial to Joe, for those that are able, to make a donation to ARFA

Kenny G.

<Joe's letter of gratitude to ARFA>
Wow. "I can't begin to tell you what your gift of a TerraTrike has meant to not only me but my sons who have constantly worried about me and my riding on 2 wheels.
 The 4th of July should be for family fun as we celebrate our countries birthday. Not only was I in a great deal of pain because of my crash into a bike bridge but I had to push my long wheelbase bike abt quarter of a mile to the park road so I could be found, let me tell you you really do see stars when the sharp pain from an injury is rudely disturbed by each little bump in the road.
 My boy's (Josh age 32 and Justin 28) knew I would ride again rather than rot in my Lazyboy chair. So the news that a group was out there who was able to help folks in my situation was a godsend.
 They have seen me survive brain/spinal surgery I live with spinal chord damage and had to have the base of my skull carved out to relieve pressure where the skull allows the spinal cord connect to the lower part of brain.They were just little guys in 1990, when they watched me fight to walk again (not well but enough to take care of myself with just a little assistance) then just 2 years after my surgery we lost my mom to a stroke, dad passed away 3 years prior from sorted lung complications from 25 years of working for Shell Chemical Plant in Deer Park.
 So, I'm not a guy who opens up a lot about my life,, but in this instance wanted you to understand just what a really big positive this event is not only in my life, gut to my sons as well. Recumbents forge an alliance between folks who have chosen to say no to despair and yes to possibilities. From now on we are part of a great loving caring group of people from all walks of life. When you see another recumbent on the road, you instantly feel a common bond with them. When you smile at strangers as you ride, you usually are treated to smiles back at you.
 Here's mine  
God bless you in your mission to put even more smiles on the road and witnessing positive changes in our part of the world.
 Joe "

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2012, 9:46am

I think if folks are interested and the family ok with it, we should do a memorial ride for jman.  Maybe if diannalightning or someone knows one of his favorite routes?  And a good place to stop after to eat and chat would be good.  Maybe his sons would like to ride too?

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2012, 10:00am

Since he was going to ride the Trinity Trail with the new trike, that might be an acceptable choice. A ride from Benbrook up to the Stockyards perhaps?

IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2012, 10:08am

Quote from Patti on Aug 1st, 2012, 10:00am:
Since he was going to ride the Trinity Trail with the new trike, that might be an acceptable choice. A ride from Benbrook up to the Stockyards perhaps?

Yes, he rode the Trinity Trails often, since he lived in the Hulen area and his primary transportation was his bent.  I have a trike I could lend to one of his sons if they needed/wanted something to ride.

Though it would be a bit further for me, it might be a good idea to start at Gateway Park off of Beach St.  A bit closer than Benbrook for any of the folks who might want to join from the Dallas direction.  The Stockyards would still be a great destination.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2012, 11:00am

[quote Urbinrider, do you know any details about Joe's passing?  Was it related to his recent accident or just his physical issues that he has been living with. [/quote]
I don't think it had anything to do with his falling he has been battling with a condition in his spine for the last 20yrs. I also bought a bent from him that is when I meet him at River Legacy Park.

T W Bents Artifis
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print