Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:07am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 213724 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #660 - Nov 22nd, 2016, 12:06am

DeFeet Reflector Gloves

http://tinyurl.com/henllbg

I received these in mail recently.  They have reflective threads in the yarn so the entire glove is said to brighten when light is shown on them.  I have not taken them out yet as nighttime this period is pretty cold, but the Hi-Viz yellow alone is enough to be seen for a mile.  Check 'em out, if you're looking for illuminated hands.  I need 'em, as I have on every single ride over the past eight years, to urge the Lookie Loo motorons and videots to take the empty lane and pass on.  
 Smiley    

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2016, 12:09am by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #661 - Nov 23rd, 2016, 5:10pm

Ordering the 700c Sprint X trike from ICE apparently exposed some bugs in their online configurator. There were some complications with specifying v-brake vs. Disc parking brake on the rear, and an unspecified limit on tire size when ordering a 700c, where they didn't offer the correct size option.  Apparently, you are limited to 28mm width on the back, with a 700c, and you can only do 700c with the hardshell seat.  John has spent some quality time on the phone with ICE over the last couple days, and it's all getting resolved, quickly - and they should have their configurater fixed, soon, as well.  I should have the machine Friday!   Smiley   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #662 - Jan 25th, 2017, 7:28pm

Quote from jayg on Oct 15th, 2016, 6:39pm:
Was thinking about installing some 700c x 25 mm Schwalbe One clincher tires on my Metaphysic, since I've been pleased with the performance of the Schwalbe Ones on my Ice VTX+ trike. Then, I read a tire test report that showed cheaper 700c x 25, 320 TPI Vittoria Open Corsa CX-III tires, paired with latex tubes, slightly out perform Schwalbe One clinchers. It was reported the Vittoria tires provide near tubless tire performance. So, I ordered a set of Vittoria tires and latex tubes. Replaced the Meta's Specialized 127 TPI, 700c x 25 tires and butyl tubes with the Vittoria tires and tubes last night, and did a 40-mile ride in Plano this morning with the tires inflated to 115 psi (Had been inflating the Specialized tires to 95 psi). The Meta is probably the roughest riding bike I own, due to its stiffness and short wheelbase. It definitely rode smoother with the Vittoria tire/latex tube combination. Was there an improvement in speed, since the Vittoria tire/tube combination has lower rolling resistance than the Specialized tire/tube combination? Not sure. There are two long downhills on the ride route where I just coast. Today on a N. Plano Rd. downhill, the bike coasted 1.9 mph faster than on a previous ride (31.5 vs. 29.6 mph). On a Los Rios Blvd. downhill the bike coasted 6 mph faster than on the previous ride (32.7 vs. 26.4 mph). The uncertainty is due to the fact that there was a tailwind on today's ride, and there might not have been one on the previous ride.

The rest of my day, yesterday, was ruined when after weighing the tire/tube combinations, I found out the Vittoria set (2 tires and tubes) weighed 3 oz. more than the Specialized set. Arggg! I swear I could feel that extra 3 oz. on every hill I climbed, today.  Cheesy

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC01001_zpsqgt5l7mb.jpg

Vittoria Open Corsa CX-III Tires and Vittoria Latex Inner Tubes

OK, so I pull my Metaphysic out of the garage Monday night and pressure the tires to 120 psi for Tuesday's Clown ride. I pressured them to 120 psi, because latex tubes lose pressure at a rapid rate. Loaded the bike in my van. Later on I return to the van to put some riding clothes and gear in it. All of a sudden I hear a loud Psssssssss! Front tire goes flat as a pancake. Out the bike comes. If that had happened while I was riding 26 mph down the hill at WRL's dam, bad things could have happened. Replaced the latex tubes with Bontrager Race X Lite tubes. They are 1-1/2 grams lighter than the latex tubes, so everything's OK on the weightweenie front.

IMO latex tubes belong here, not on bike wheels.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #663 - Jan 25th, 2017, 8:45pm

Bought a T-Cycle dual idler for the SprintX, removing three of the four chain tubes.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #664 - Jan 26th, 2017, 3:59pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 25th, 2017, 8:45pm:
Bought a T-Cycle dual idler for the SprintX, removing three of the four chain tubes.

Paul, please post before and after photos when you do the installation. Thanks in advance.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #665 - Feb 11th, 2017, 10:53am

I bought a new Performer trike a few weeks ago, and today bought a new to me Baron low racer. I will pick the Baron up in about a week from close to Houston. I will have to bring it to WRL one day. Now I have to go and explain to the wife why I need another bike. Ha. Smiley

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #666 - Mar 24th, 2017, 9:48pm

Today, I picked up the Trike Rack by Sea Sucker: https://www.seasucker.com/
Since the totaling of the car in August, (and with it, the trailer hitch), I haven't been able to get the trike around.  How frustrating.  During my wanderings around the net, I found out about these suction cup based bike mounts.  Like probably everyone who reads this, I was really skeptical about their ability to hold well enough, so I did some sniffing around.  I discovered that PC&F sells them, and they have seen how well they work.  Long story short, I went for it.  

As advertised, those things really, really hold.  I attempted to attach them to the Jetta as they recommended, trike facing forward, but with the car's sunroof, it was not happening.  I turned the trike around, as I had always envisioned anyway, and low-slung trike fit the roof just fine.  Next problem was how the front mounts' hooks fit these small, 16" wheels.  To hook the wheels centers them over only one of the suction cups, so I decided I would not hook the wheels, and let them be cradled from side to side.  The left hooks is around the back of the wheel, and the right around the front and for now, zip ties to hold the wheels to the mounts until I think of something more elegant and practicable later.  
Another downer is that the Trike Rack is recommended for only 40 lbs.  They conveniently don't put that on the website, as I could find.  The 700, as outfitted, is 43.6 lbs.   

Looks like the RBM Trike Recumbent Ride tomorrow is a go for me, God willing.  

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2017, 9:54pm by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #667 - Mar 25th, 2017, 10:52pm

Sea Sucker Trike Rack (epilogue)

So, with some trepidation, I set up the suction cups, secured the trike, and took off with no time to spare, heading off to RBM's ride.  Trepidation because I hadn't driven the set up five feet, let alone all the way to the Evil Empire.  My fears, though, were slowly wiped away with each windy mile seeing the vacuum on all cups tightly secure.  
Fear of the cups letting loose reminded me how low-slung trikes to the uninitiated, evoke so many skeptical comments and questions.  
The only problem I found with the system was that the hooks for the front wheels did not seem well suited to 16" wheels.  Not to worry.  The two mounts are set so, that one wheels will sit rearward to the hook, and the other is forward of the hook.  Along with their own supplied velcro webbing, and zip ties holding the wheels down employing conveniently placed loops at the base of the tire.

So far, so good.    

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2017, 9:30pm by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #668 - Mar 28th, 2017, 10:29am

Quote from Action Lad on Mar 25th, 2017, 10:52pm:

So, with some trepidation, I set up the suction cups, secured the trike, and took off with no time to spare, heading off to RBM's ride.  Trepidation because I hadn't driven the set up five feet, let alone all the way to the Evil Empire.  My fears, though, were slowly wiped away with each windy mile seeing the vacuum on all cups tightly secure.  
Fear of the cups letting loose reminded me how low-slung trike to the uninitiated, evoke so many skeptical comments and questions.  
The only problem I found with the system was that the hooks for the front wheels did not seem well suited to 16" wheels.  Not to worry.  The two mounts are set so, that one wheels will sit rearward to the hook, and the other is forward of the hook.  Along with their own supplied velcro webbing, and zip ties holding the wheels down employing conveniently placed loops at the base of the tire.

So far, so good.    

You have more guts than me!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #669 - Mar 28th, 2017, 9:46pm

Quote from TonyWard on Mar 28th, 2017, 10:29am:
Quote from Action Lad on Mar 25th, 2017, 10:52pm:

You have more guts than me!
That very quip is what the uninitiated say about recumbent cyclists.  It's all just a matter of experience, Tony, and when one is willing to dare, he is richly rewarded, as you yourself have experienced:  http://tinyurl.com/lr49gbn  We all miss seeing you riding feet first, but I hope you're still having fun!    

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 
Send Topic Print