Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214710 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #645 - Aug 10th, 2016, 9:42pm

Got me a pair of new choos. Most expensive footware I've ever bought. Fine handmade Italian shoes...Bought a pair of Sidi Dragon carbon sole megas from Performance Bike. Had them shipped to the store, paid full price for them. They fit a little small, so returned them and ordered a half size bigger. When I did that transaction, they had a big sale going on, and the guy refunded me 20% to get me the sale price...mighty nice of him! I really like the spin dial tighteners on these shoes.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #646 - Oct 8th, 2016, 11:38am

I finally wised up and followed the advice of several wise people on this forum and others.  I have purchased from bike smith a set of SRAM APex 150mm cranks set up with 36/52 Rotor Q rings.  

I have to say this is probably the best add on purchase I have ever made to a bike.  The difference in my pedal stroke is truly phenomenal, it is so smooth that I am in awe when riding it.  I have made comments before about knee pain and jay on several occasions has said "you need to try shorter cranks", wish I had listened a long time ago.

Mark Stonich is an amazing guy and was very patient in guiding me through the decision process.  The guidance Mark provided as to setup and how to adjust my seat(CA2) was spot on.  I followed his directions and had the bike set in the perfect position for me in about 10 minutes.

Yesterday I logged 28 miles and another 60 this morning with NO KNEE PAIN at all.  I haven't seen any significant change in speed but my cadence is up by 5 strokes as of this morning and my body feels much better when I get off the bike.  I'm confident that as I get stronger from learning to spin more that I will also see increases in speed and cadence.

For those of us who are weight conscious I removed a FSA SLK Carbon 170mm 30/39/52 with a stock BB and believe it or not the weight is identical, so no gain or loss.

If you've been thinking about shorter cranks or Q rings, get off the fence and spend the money.  I am now finally convinced it was worth every penny I spent.

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2016, 11:40am by Phantom Rider »  

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #647 - Oct 8th, 2016, 3:32pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Oct 8th, 2016, 11:38am:
I finally wised up and followed the advice of several wise people on this forum and others.  I have purchased from bike smith a set of SRAM APex 150mm cranks set up with 36/52 Rotor Q rings.  

I have to say this is probably the best add on purchase I have ever made to a bike.  The difference in my pedal stroke is truly phenomenal, it is so smooth that I am in awe when riding it.  I have made comments before about knee pain and jay on several occasions has said "you need to try shorter cranks", wish I had listened a long time ago.

Mark Stonich is an amazing guy and was very patient in guiding me through the decision process.  The guidance Mark provided as to setup and how to adjust my seat(CA2) was spot on.  I followed his directions and had the bike set in the perfect position for me in about 10 minutes.

Yesterday I logged 28 miles and another 60 this morning with NO KNEE PAIN at all.  I haven't seen any significant change in speed but my cadence is up by 5 strokes as of this morning and my body feels much better when I get off the bike.  I'm confident that as I get stronger from learning to spin more that I will also see increases in speed and cadence.

For those of us who are weight conscious I removed a FSA SLK Carbon 170mm 30/39/52 with a stock BB and believe it or not the weight is identical, so no gain or loss.

If you've been thinking about shorter cranks or Q rings, get off the fence and spend the money.  I am now finally convinced it was worth every penny I spent.

Joe, there's no info on the Bikesmith website regarding setting the seat position (or boom length for fixed seat recumbents). What guidance did Mark give you on that subject?

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #648 - Oct 8th, 2016, 7:21pm

Quote from jayg on Oct 8th, 2016, 3:32pm:
Quote from Phantom Rider on Oct 8th, 2016, 11:38am:

Joe, there's no info on the Bikesmith website regarding setting the seat position (or boom length for fixed seat recumbents). What guidance did Mark give you on that subject?

Jay, Marks guidance was very straightforward.  Divide the amount of the distance between the old cranks and the new ones by 2 and move the seat back (or boom forward)that distance.  In my case I went from 170 to 150 so I moved the seat back 10mm.  Mark said once this is done ride the bike about a mile or so and move either the seat or boom that distance (in my case 10mm) again and ride again.  At this point you should know which feels best and that is your solution.  For me the first 10mm was perfect and I now have about 90 miles on that setting.  I have not adjusted the seat incline as it went from 22 to 23 degrees and I plan to leave it there for awhile.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #649 - Oct 14th, 2016, 7:00pm

Enduro XD-15 ceramic BB

Received and installed the new BB yesterday evening to complete my drive train upgrade.  Rode a short 30 miler  today just to see what the difference is.   I do not ride with a power meter so there is no hard data to prove anything, I wonder how that would prove anything anyway since power is just power and would have no bearing(that was funny) on how the power was generated.  I am confident I can feel the difference in the ease of the crank rotation, even beyond the greatness of the 150mm cranks and Q rings.  I've read and been told by others it takes about 50 miles to "break in" a ceramic BB so who knows what tomorrow holds for me.

Truly wish I would have completed this drive train upgrade long ago when I first started researching it.  I continue to be amazed in the difference in my energy output and smoothness of the pedal stroke.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #650 - Oct 15th, 2016, 7:15am

Bought and installed a set of Tryker tires on Terrie's Tour II, to smooth out the ride for her.  I had originally put 1.1" Duranos on it, thinking it would help her speed, but, she doesn't ride it enough to take advantage, and the 100 psi made it a rough ride.  The Trykers are 1.5", ~70 psi, and they seem to still roll pretty nicely.  They're folding bead, not wire, so aren't as heavy as a Marathon.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #651 - Oct 15th, 2016, 6:39pm

Was thinking about installing some 700c x 25 mm Schwalbe One clincher tires on my Metaphysic, since I've been pleased with the performance of the Schwalbe Ones on my Ice VTX+ trike. Then, I read a tire test report that showed cheaper 700c x 25, 320 TPI Vittoria Open Corsa CX-III tires, paired with latex tubes, slightly out perform Schwalbe One clinchers. It was reported the Vittoria tires provide near tubless tire performance. So, I ordered a set of Vittoria tires and latex tubes. Replaced the Meta's Specialized 127 TPI, 700c x 25 tires and butyl tubes with the Vittoria tires and tubes last night, and did a 40-mile ride in Plano this morning with the tires inflated to 115 psi (Had been inflating the Specialized tires to 95 psi). The Meta is probably the roughest riding bike I own, due to its stiffness and short wheelbase. It definitely rode smoother with the Vittoria tire/latex tube combination. Was there an improvement in speed, since the Vittoria tire/tube combination has lower rolling resistance than the Specialized tire/tube combination? Not sure. There are two long downhills on the ride route where I just coast. Today on a N. Plano Rd. downhill, the bike coasted 1.9 mph faster than on a previous ride (31.5 vs. 29.6 mph). On a Los Rios Blvd. downhill the bike coasted 6 mph faster than on the previous ride (32.7 vs. 26.4 mph). The uncertainty is due to the fact that there was a tailwind on today's ride, and there might not have been one on the previous ride.  

The rest of my day, yesterday, was ruined when after weighing the tire/tube combinations, I found out the Vittoria set (2 tires and tubes) weighed 3 oz. more than the Specialized set. Arggg! I swear I could feel that extra 3 oz. on every hill I climbed, today.  Cheesy

Vittoria Open Corsa CX-III Tires and Vittoria Latex Inner Tubes

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2016, 8:40am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #652 - Oct 23rd, 2016, 11:55am

It's a WAW@2014

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #653 - Oct 23rd, 2016, 1:35pm

Gee, Bud. You really should put a picture of the rear end of that thing, because that's all we will be seeing of it!!! Really nice!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #654 - Oct 24th, 2016, 11:33am

Quote from reever on Oct 23rd, 2016, 1:35pm:
Gee, Bud. You really should put a picture of the rear end of that thing, because that's all we will be seeing of it!!! Really nice!

Thanks, man. But, I suspect you'll still be dropping me like a bad habit.

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2016, 11:49am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #655 - Nov 13th, 2016, 4:38pm

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #656 - Nov 13th, 2016, 5:25pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 13th, 2016, 4:38pm:

Super nice trike, Paul. Unsuspended, 10-speed, and 700c rear wheel?

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #657 - Nov 14th, 2016, 9:17am

Quote from jayg on Nov 13th, 2016, 5:25pm:

Fully suspended version, but otherwise correct!  I should have it next week, in time for some Thanksgiving riding!

PB

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2016, 9:17am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #658 - Nov 14th, 2016, 7:56pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 14th, 2016, 9:17am:
Quote from jayg on Nov 13th, 2016, 5:25pm:

Fully suspended version, but otherwise correct!  I should have it next week, in time for some Thanksgiving riding!

PB

This answers my question in the for sale thread...

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #659 - Nov 19th, 2016, 9:52pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 13th, 2016, 4:38pm:

Yeah, Baby!  
Nice looking trike.  Can't wait to see you on it.  Still having trouble imagining you on three wheels, though.    
I'll have to be Doubting Thomas and believe it when I see it.      Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 
Send Topic Print