Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 16th, 2024, 8:34am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214500 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #15 - Dec 14th, 2011, 7:30pm

Quote from jdviz on Dec 14th, 2011, 6:32pm:
That's great to know! Do you usually head round the lake the same direction you went the first time we met?

No, we normally ride clockwise. The day we met, Tony W. and I had seen you and your wife riding counterclockwise past Sunset Bay and gave chase. We spotted y'all on the high road and waited at the Culture Center for y'all to come down the access road.

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Dec 20th, 2011, 10:15pm

Tried out some of Jay's toe warmers and all I can say is they failed miserably.  I was wearing my normal "winter" socks (a pair of old soccer socks I have).  They are fairly thick and fit in my shoes without causing circulation problems.  I couldn't tell at all while I was riding that they were warm and when I took them off you couldn't tell either.  I left them out about 30 minutes and now they are blazing hot.  I guess this is going to take some experimentation.  Next time I'll try them with some summer socks.  Seems like they aren't getting enough air to warm up.  I am supposed to put them on the underside of my toes correct?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2011, 11:25am

Quote from TonyWard on Dec 20th, 2011, 10:15pm:
Tried out some of Jay's toe warmers and all I can say is they failed miserably.  I was wearing my normal "winter" socks (a pair of old soccer socks I have).  They are fairly thick and fit in my shoes without causing circulation problems.  I couldn't tell at all while I was riding that they were warm and when I took them off you couldn't tell either.  I left them out about 30 minutes and now they are blazing hot.  I guess this is going to take some experimentation.  Next time I'll try them with some summer socks.  Seems like they aren't getting enough air to warm up.  I am supposed to put them on the underside of my toes correct?

I use medium weight acrylic or wool socks. The warmers are adhered to the bottom of the socks at the toes. The instructions indicate they are intended to function in an oxygen restricted environment.

My toes get cold even during the Summer in a air conditioned room. The "Toasti Toes" warmers keep them comfortable in the cold weather we are now experiencing. When it's really cold, I use shoe covers in addition to the warmers. They are not going to feel hot when you're wearing them, because their average operating temperature listed by the manufacturer is 96 degrees F.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2011, 12:41pm

The most difficult problem I ran across when building my new "Gallop" low racer was getting the front derailleur to shift properly. I purchased a Shimano Sora down-pull triple derailleur to use in conjunction with a SRAM "Attack" twist shifter. While many of the SRAM shifters are not compatible with Shimano derailleurs, the Attack is advertised as being compatible. The problem I was having was I couldn't apply enough twisting effort to shift the chain to the big ring. I don't think it could even be done with channellock pliers. A minor problem is the shifter cable is angled from the cable housing termination braze-on the left side of the boom to the derailleur's shifting arm (See photo), which increases required twisting effort, compared to that required if the cable is making a straight pull (w/ braze-on mounted on derailleur mounting post). The main problem was the short 15 mm lever arm on the Sora road bike derailleur. I solved it by extending the derailleur's lever arm to an effective length of 28 mm (See photo). The first extension I fabricated was too long. Required twisting effort was really low, but the shifter's range was exceeded. With the 28 mm lever arm twisting effort is low, and the derailleur shifts fine from the small to the big ring.

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Dec 28th, 2011, 8:42pm

Yesterday I bought 10 2.1 Ah NiMH cells and a switch, today I bought a light unit to add to the other light unit I already had on hand to make Honkin' Huge Taillight II The Doublingtm. Twice the light output with half the current draw, from a battery that had 70% more energy storage in 1/3 the weight than the original Honkin' Huge Taillighttm. I have a light that can run 2 nights straight through the Winter Solstice, or all 3 nights of the Summer Solstice, on a single charge.

Mrs. the Poet pronounces it as "too bright, it gives me a headache". Blind people give it 2 thumbs up. Coming soon to a night ride near you.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Dec 31st, 2011, 7:34am

Finally bought a new Road ID (ankle version), to replace the 6-yr old one that still had my ex-wife's contact info on it...   Roll Eyes  Got one for Terrie, as well...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #21 - Jan 2nd, 2012, 9:54pm

Removed and cleaned the chain on the Xstream as year-end maintenance, at 6500+ miles over two years, and after cleaning it took the feeler (Go/NoGo) gauge to it... I was a bit surprised to get readings from 0.75% to 1.0%, since about 500 miles ago I was only getting 0.75% in the occasional location -- but a lot of the last 500 miles has been night/trail riding, with more dust and stuff being thrown up, so I guess it accelerated things a bit.

So, I laid out the dough for three new SRAM 970 chains, through Performance...

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012, 2:56pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 3:03pm

I just replaced mine at 11,000. 135 links. Had to do the big ring also.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 7:43pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 2nd, 2012, 9:54pm:
Removed and cleaned the chain on the Xstream as year-end maintenance, at 6500+ miles over two years, and after cleaning it took the feeler gauge to it... I was a bit surprised to get readings from 0.75 to 1.0, since about 500 miles ago I was only getting 0.75 in the occasional location -- but a lot of the last 500 miles has been night/trail riding, with more dust and stuff being thrown up, so I guess it accelerated things a bit.

So, I laid out the dough for three new SRAM 970 chains, through Performance...

Paul, I was confused at first when I read you were using a "feeler" gage to judge chain wear. I was thinking leaf-type thickness gage, commonly known as a feeler gage. Did a little research and found out you used a bike chain specific wear gage (sometimes called a feeler gage, depending upon the design) that puts the chain in tension and measures wear in percentage. What brand gage are you using?

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #24 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:39pm

Maybe it is a fealer gauge

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:06pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:39pm:
Maybe it is a fealer gauge

John, this is a perfect example of why you are Clown #1.  Grin

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #26 - Jan 4th, 2012, 7:19am

Yes, my use of the term "feeler gauge" was incorrect --  I guess it's a "Go / NoGo" gauge instead, where "NoGo" is the desired result when you're using it.  I've got the Spin Doctor version from Performance..  

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1030356_-1_1630511_2000 0_400140

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2012, 7:20am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Jan 4th, 2012, 9:27am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 4th, 2012, 7:19am:
Yes, my use of the term "feeler gauge" was incorrect --  I guess it's a "Go / NoGo" gauge instead, where "NoGo" is the desired result when you're using it.  I've got the Spin Doctor version from Performance..  

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1030356_-1_1630511_2000 0_400140

Paul, I think I gave the wrong impression with my comment. I have never used a chain wear gage before, and was not familiar with how they worked and the units of measurement of the .75 and 1.00 readings. The intent of my comment was to relate to others, who may have been as much in the dark as I was, what I had learned. Now that I have several "keeper" bikes, I'm going to have to pick up one of these gages the next time I go to Performance. By the way a webpage for a gage of similar design to the Spin Doctor gage lists it as a "feeler" gage.    

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #28 - Jan 4th, 2012, 11:39am

Quote:
John, this is a perfect example of why you are Clown #1.

Nobody is perfect.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #29 - Jan 5th, 2012, 3:11pm

Quote from jayg on Jan 4th, 2012, 9:27am:

Paul, I think I gave the wrong impression with my comment. I have never used a chain wear gage before, and was not familiar with how they worked and the units of measurement of the .75 and 1.00 readings. The intent of my comment was to relate to others, who may have been as much in the dark as I was, what I had learned. Now that I have several "keeper" bikes, I'm going to have to pick up one of these gages the next time I go to Performance. By the way a webpage for a gage of similar design to the Spin Doctor gage lists it as a "feeler" gage.    

Well pointed out, Jay!  I modified my earlier posts to put "%" after the numbers...  Of course, it doesn't say that on the gauge itself, either!!!   The concept as I understand it (courtesy of the late great Sheldon Brown, my namesake), is that as the roller pins wear, the link centers essentially move further apart under tension, and don't precisely match up with the sprocket teeth any more, eventually resulting in additional tooth wear on the sprocket...  and if the sprocket gets too worn, the old chain will start to slip, and a new one will really slip...  http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

At the bottom of the Sheldon Brown article, there is a link to a very cool article on chain wear and measurement gauges, that shows that most gauges give a greater wear indication than is actual...  http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-004/000.html#shimano-tl-cn40

Paul

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012, 4:08pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 45
Send Topic Print