Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 17th, 2024, 8:05pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214584 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

W.I.B.T. Thread
Dec 8th, 2011, 7:59am

BikeJournal has a popular thread called What I Bought Today, where people chime in about new purchases, reasons why, and report on what they think about what they got after putting it into use...  So why not put it into the "Technical" column here, since it generates discussion on build quality, performance, etc...?

Post about what you bought and why -- whether it's a bike (Jay will have the most posts), component, accessory, clothing/apparel, or whatever -- and how it's working for you, later on.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2011, 8:15am

I just received a dual-pak of MagicShine lights -- one 1000 lumen and one 1600 lumen.  My TrailTech MR11 HID is about 4+ years old, and while it still puts out a pretty nice beam, I'd been thinking about replacing it -- my night vision isn't the greatest, so "prison searchlight quality" is desired...  I had read some very positive reviews about the MagicShine (and the GeoManGear company) on the BikeJournal WIBT thread, from people doing commuting, so I checked out their website http://www.geomangear.com/ .

The MagicShine lights use CREE XM-L emitters, and have high/med/low settings.  I decided to get the Dual pack after discovering that besides the sale price they're taking an additional 20% off the top during the first part of December -- so if I want to, I can have both a handlebar mounted and a helmet mounted light.  So I have what appear to be two excellent, very bright lights, for about $200 total...

I'll take a couple photos to try to show the light patterns -- the 1000 lumen is a single LED, and the 1600 lumen unit is a four-LED, and throws a nice wide field.  I think these lights are gonna be AWESOME...

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2011, 8:47am

Very nice Paul, looks like a great light!  Nothing today so far for me, but this week has seen me order a front fender for the baron, hope it works without interfering with the pedals and chain too much.  If it does I'll just put it on the Tour Easy instead.  Also ordered a Terracycle Power side idler kit for the baron to drop the chain and hopefully get rid of some of the drag in the drive line.  On a non-cycling note I ordered a power rack to finish out the garage gym.  My daughter and I will be able to safely do all our weightlifting with that in place.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2011, 10:51am

I scrounged Dave a Fastback Toolpouch for his F5 which he likes.  I also got a pair of Shimano WM-61 womens shoes (mtb) that are super!  Far more comfortable than my old Specialized mtb shoes.

As far as Magicshine lights, just understand what you are getting into with Lithium ion battery packs and how you need to treat them, and what their inherent dangers are.  Read here for an idea of what can go wrong with Li-Ions...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?107-Smoke-and-Fire-Hot-Cell s-and-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries

and a general guide to Li-Ions here.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?235164-Using-Li-ion-cells-in- LED-flashlights-safely&highlight=magic+shine

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011, 10:55am by Monkeywrangler22 »  

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2011, 4:36pm

I got my Sidi mtb shoes (Giaus) yesterday.  They're black, to go with any bike or jersey, and were 40% off from Nashbar.  I put new cleats on them, but I wore my old blue shoes today, since they went with the trike and my jersey.  I'm a Sidi fan because they fit me reliably and have always performed well for me.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2011, 4:48pm

Quote from rmillay on Dec 8th, 2011, 4:36pm:
I got my Sidi mtb shoes (Giaus) yesterday.  They're black, to go with any bike or jersey, and were 40% off from Nashbar.  I put new cleats on them, but I wore my old blue shoes today, since they went with the trike and my jersey.  I'm a Sidi fan because they fit me reliably and have always performed well for me.

Bob, I noticed you were a little bit faster on the Clown Ride this morning. It must have had something to do with that color coordination thing.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2011, 5:02pm

Where I grew up, you could always add some speed with mud flaps and a foxtail on the antenna! Wink

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2011, 10:17am

Quote from rmillay on Dec 8th, 2011, 5:02pm:
Where I grew up, you could always add some speed with mud flaps and a foxtail on the antenna! Wink

Don't forget the playing card in the spokes....    Smiley

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re:  MagicShine lights
Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2011, 11:29am

The MagicShine set is, indeed, very nice...  the 1600 lumen unit, on high, is literally equivalent to an auto headlight, and throws a wide, even field thanks to its four LEDs.  While we were riding on the SantaFe trail section, the entire width of it was lit up.  There are four output levels, and even on 2 and 3 (4 being highest) it's plenty of light.  I also used the 1000 lumen unit as a helmet lamp -- it has a concentrated spot, but is also plenty powerful for looking off to the side and around upcoming curves.  I'm VERY pleased with the amount of light thrown by these units.

However, I've already determined that I'm going to exchange the 4.5Ah batteries for 6.0Ah ones instead.  The 1600 lumen unit shut off in a little less than two hours, despite running it on 2 or 3 most of the time, and the headlamp was indicating it was getting near the end after two hours.  Perhaps the cold temps reduced the battery life a bit -- they were supposed to go longer.

The lightheads have a curved plastic base designed to fit onto a tube, with a front/back "horn" at both ends of the base -- two thick o-rings are provided with the light (of different sizes to fit large or small tube diameters) which hooks around one horn, go around your handlebar, and hook on the other horn.  It was a secure mount for me, with the smaller o-ring.  The helmet light fits similarly on a helmet mount, which velcros to your helmet.  They also offer a separate "clamp" bar mount.

I'll take some pics and post 'em later...

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011, 11:42am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re:  MagicShine lights
Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2011, 5:01pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 9th, 2011, 11:29am:
The MagicShine set is, indeed, very nice...  the 1600 lumen unit, on high, is literally equivalent to an auto headlight, and throws a wide, even field thanks to its four LEDs.  While we were riding on the SantaFe trail section, the entire width of it was lit up.  There are four output levels, and even on 2 and 3 (4 being highest) it's plenty of light.  I also used the 1000 lumen unit as a helmet lamp -- it has a concentrated spot, but is also plenty powerful for looking off to the side and around upcoming curves.  I'm VERY pleased with the amount of light thrown by these units.

However, I've already determined that I'm going to exchange the 4.5Ah batteries for 6.0Ah ones instead.  The 1600 lumen unit shut off in a little less than two hours, despite running it on 2 or 3 most of the time, and the headlamp was indicating it was getting near the end after two hours.  Perhaps the cold temps reduced the battery life a bit -- they were supposed to go longer.

The lightheads have a curved plastic base designed to fit onto a tube, with a front/back "horn" at both ends of the base -- two thick o-rings are provided with the light (of different sizes to fit large or small tube diameters) which hooks around one horn, go around your handlebar, and hook on the other horn.  It was a secure mount for me, with the smaller o-ring.  The helmet light fits similarly on a helmet mount, which velcros to your helmet.  They also offer a separate "clamp" bar mount.

I'll take some pics and post 'em later...

Paul - lets get together one evening in the near future - maybe this week - and do a cruise around Rowlett.  I'd like to check out the effectiveness of your setup.  I need something more than my pitty sub 100 lumen light I feel.  Let me tell you - upper 20s with < 100 lumen light is exciting!!!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2011, 12:37pm

Here's what the Magic Shine combo looks like...

4-LED 1600 lumen on handlebar

1-LED 1000 lumen on helmet

1600 at garage from 20 feet, on LOW

1600 at garage from 20 feet, on HIGH

1000 at garage from 20 feet, on low

1000 at garage from 20 feet, on high

1600 on high

Combo - 1600 on 75% setting, with helmet light on medium, about 50 feet from fence

Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Re: MagicShine Lights
Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2011, 10:10pm

SmileyJust remember, it's rude to look someone in the eye when your helmet mounted Klieg is turned on! I've got a set of Dinotte lights on my Xstream, and I like them pretty well. The tail light is awesome, and the headlight is good up to about 15 MPH before it starts to feel like I'm over driving it.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2011, 12:46pm

Got myself a Garneau breathable windbreaker & gloves. Heading out in about 30 minutes to test them out around WRL.

JD-

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2011, 11:59am

Quote from jdviz on Dec 13th, 2011, 12:46pm:
Got myself a Garneau breathable windbreaker & gloves. Heading out in about 30 minutes to test them out around WRL.

JD-

JD, if you happen to be at WRL between 1:00 and 4:00 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays, look for some of us Clown riders either hanging out at Sunset Bay or doing bonus Lake laps. Better yet, if you can take a full Tuesday or Thursday off, come have breakfast at Barbecs and ride with us.  

Jay G.  

Email   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2011, 6:32pm

That's great to know! Do you usually head round the lake the same direction you went the first time we met?

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 45
Send Topic Print