Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Feb 23rd, 2018, 4:31am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 532 533 534 535 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 805081 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #7995 - Feb 10th, 2018, 6:08pm

SCOUTING COMBINE 101K
Bob Millay and I were planning to do this ride. I think he planned to ride his 2-wheel recumbent; I planned to ride my trike. But the weather forecast went downhill and Bob bailed. After doing this ride, I realized that doing it on the trike would not have been fun at all. Glad that plan didn't work out.
Then I was going to do this with friends, Cindy and David. As the forecast and actual conditions deteriorated, they bailed. I did too. But then, faced with the prospect that I wouldn't get a ride this weekend, I decided to do it anyway. Got over to Duncanville just in time to get ready and leave with the group. I rode the velomobile as this seemed like a good ride to try it on, keeping in mind my issues with shifting from the small ring to the big ring (34 to 61). Fortunately, it was a 10 AM start, so I had time to change my mind and head to the ride start. The ride starts out with huge, fairly steep rollers. Then there's a drop in elevation, gradual, with more rollers but trending downhill. The ride goes through the flat lands east of Lancaster and crosses the Trinity River. Then there's a bit of a climb as we headed toward Combine. I had never been to Combine. That was another attraction for doing this ride. I wanted to see what the roads are like around Combine and what kind of a store is there. Fearful of shifting off the big ring, I kept it in the big ring for the entire outbound ride. Some of it was pretty difficult leaving it in such a high gear, mainly starting from a dead stop at a light on an uphill. At one point I needed to stop for a whiz. I had been pretty much keeping the pace of the 2 road bikes, tandem, and a recumbent on the ride. After my whiz, I had some catching up to do. I held 26 mph in the process of catching them, which I did, easily. It was nice to have an opportunity to see what it would do without interruption from traffic lights, stop signs, and turns in a tough crosswind. We had a short stop and got going back toward Duncanville. Now we had a stout 3/4 headwind for much of it. The road bikes were doing 12 to 15 mph. I stuck with them but needed a couple more whiz stops, and then I could see what it would do in a headwind: 20 mph into the headwind and on a slight uphill gradient. I was pleased with that. Even though the all day avg temperature was 35, I wasn't cold, except the part of me sticking up out of the cockpit. My upper lip would get cold. I would then pull the balaclava up over my lip for awhile. The rest of me stayed warm even though I wasn't dressed that warmly. That's a win-win! I did have to shift onto the small ring a couple times. Fortunately, I successfully shifted back to the big ring when the need for ultra low gears was past. Really pleased with how it feels to ride it in temperatures that I would probably not enjoy that much on a 100k ride on my road bike. So, mid 30s temperature and cloudy, misty conditions - that's the acid test for gauging comfort - velomobile gets an A!
CLOUDY; wind: NW 14-20; start  temp: 36; min: 32; avg: 35; max: 39; end: 32
bike: DFxl; start time: 10:08; end: 14:12; avg:16; max: 35.6; climb: 1578; miles: 63.21
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2490529097

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2018, 7:53pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7996 - Feb 12th, 2018, 4:36pm

New days off digging trenches. noticed it warming up. Off to the pond. Still cold. Daniel passes, doesn't notice the fine American classic steel I'm riding. I go home. 13 miles.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7997 - Feb 12th, 2018, 6:17pm

What fine American Classic steed? Right, I didn't notice...
Wasn't planning on doing this much. Planned on 5 laps. When I got to 5 laps, I decided to do just one more. Did that until I got to 8 laps and at that point decided to do 2 more. Nice riding during the first 4 laps as it was cloudy, in the 30s, and practically no one was out there. Saw 2 road bikes during the first 4 laps. Then the sun started breaking through and after another lap it was completely sunny. There were more and more riders, runners, and walkers arriving at the lake then. I kept thinking there were too many and I should just quit. But every time I came around by my car, I just went on by. When I finished, there was Butch at his car. He was just leaving for a 3rd lap. This might have been the nicest day of the week to get some miles. That's what motivated me to keep going. Seems like there are chances of rain almost every day this week, starting tomorrow.
CLOUDY, then sunny; wind: E 6 - 9; start  temp: 30; min: ~; avg: ~; max: ~; end: 44
bike: DFxl; start time: 10:19; end: 16:02; avg:19.3; max: 29.1; climb: 1352; miles: 104.86
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2494785337

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7998 - Feb 13th, 2018, 2:48pm

Six at breakfast this morning when Keith showed up.  He's riding in his neighborhood occasionally as his back is healed up.  I did a pre-breakfast lap and got sprinkled on.  A shower passed as we ate, but it wasn't raining when I came back out.  Only John and I were riding.  I decided to get a few more miles, and took off anticlownwise.  The rain held off, and I completed the lap for 22 miles.  I decided not to press my luck.  I drove through some rain on the way home.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7999 - Feb 13th, 2018, 5:58pm

Quote from rmillay on Feb 13th, 2018, 2:48pm:
Six at breakfast this morning when Keith showed up.  He's riding in his neighborhood occasionally as his back is healed up.  I did a pre-breakfast lap and got sprinkled on.  A shower passed as we ate, but it wasn't raining when I came back out.  Only John and I were riding.  I decided to get a few more miles, and took off anticlownwise.  The rain held off, and I completed the lap for 22 miles.  I decided not to press my luck.  I drove through some rain on the way home.

Kenny J, Daniel S, and I didn't do any riding, but we did talk about bikes, trikes, and velomobiles inside Barbec's, until 11:15. So, we should get some credit for that.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8000 - Feb 14th, 2018, 7:10pm

Another 11 mile day, and 1 mile of that was with the two grandsons. I have a whopping total of less than 60 miles since November. Makes me want to  Smiley. At least I am finally over all the health issues for now.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
rbentdude

rbent member

Reply #8001 - Feb 14th, 2018, 8:22pm

I got out to WRL about 11:30 and did 30 miles. Kenny got there while I was on my last lap but I didn't get to talk to him.  
Butch

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #8002 - Feb 15th, 2018, 7:01am

Its chinese new year / spring festival  in china (where I am at the moment) Its also a mandatory  vacation for everyone here ..    Which means its epic riding time..   If you ever wanted to know what it was like to ride on a mega freeway with basically zero cars .. this is the week to be in china ..

Most of the days have been 100-150 miles of *freeway* riding between major cities .. sometimes with a group sometimes just with myself ..  

Bike P38 voyager, total miles since monday about 400, averages have varied but seem to be around 15-17mph .  

Strava has blocked my velomobile rides; this is roadbike
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8003 - Feb 15th, 2018, 4:13pm

Went with my new next door neighbor and chased a little white ball for about 5-6 miles, first time since June 2006. Then when we get back home, he says let's go ride our bikes. He is a fast roadie. I told him I was tired from all the sprints yesterday, chasing grandkids, and all the walking at golf. We will ride easy. Yeah right, 22 miles at a very hard pace with several sprints too. He still can't believe I can stay with him and I can't either in my present condition.  

What is not to like about this neighbor. He likes doing just about all the things I like to do and he lets me do most of the talking!  Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2018, 4:14pm by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8004 - Feb 15th, 2018, 7:23pm

CLOWN RIDE
Brought the velomobile to White Rock Lake today so I could test it in the very strong wind we had today The result was stellar - I expected slower than Monday, but it was the opposite. Was strong in the tailwind and strong in the headwind. It slices through the headwind like a hot knife through butter. It was good crosswind training, too. Had my fastest lap ever today, lap #6, 21.9 mph. Lap #10 came in at 21.2 mph. Laps #7 & 9 came in at 21.0. Lap #6 was a new personal best lap of 28:45 min. Lap #10 was 29:31 min. 4 laps were in the 30+ min range. 2 laps were at 31+ min range. With a start just after 11 AM, my finish was around 5 PM. By that time, you get a totally different crowd at the lake. Most of the people at the lake during mid-day are jaded - they've seen everything and a yellow and lime colored velomobile does not attract much attention. It was a totally different story later on, especially during my 8th thru 10 laps. It got a lot of attention. Unfortunately, I was trying to finish before dark as I'd had some long interruptions in my quest so I didn't stop even when spectators probably would have liked me to.  
CLOUDY, then sunny; wind: SW 14-25; start  temp: 68; min: 64; avg: 70; max: 79; end: 70
bike: DFxl; start time: 11:04; end: 17:03; avg:20.37; max: 29.1; climb: 1417; miles: 105.01
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2500675640

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2018, 7:27pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8005 - Feb 15th, 2018, 7:53pm

Quote from square_corners on Feb 15th, 2018, 7:23pm:
CLOWN RIDE
Brought the velomobile to White Rock Lake today so I could test it in the very strong wind we had today The result was stellar - I expected slower than Monday, but it was the opposite. Was strong in the tailwind and strong in the headwind. It slices through the headwind like a hot knife through butter. It was good crosswind training, too. Had my fastest lap ever today, lap #6, 21.9 mph. Lap #10 came in at 21.2 mph. Laps #7 & 9 came in at 21.0. Lap #6 was a new personal best lap of 28:45 min. Lap #10 was 29:31 min. 4 laps were in the 30+ min range. 2 laps were at 31+ min range. With a start just after 11 AM, my finish was around 5 PM. By that time, you get a totally different crowd at the lake. Most of the people at the lake during mid-day are jaded - they've seen everything and a yellow and lime colored velomobile does not attract much attention. It was a totally different story later on, especially during my 8th thru 10 laps. It got a lot of attention. Unfortunately, I was trying to finish before dark as I'd had some long interruptions in my quest so I didn't stop even when spectators probably would have liked me to.
CLOUDY, then sunny; wind: SW 14-25; start  temp: 68; min: 64; avg: 70; max: 79; end: 70
bike: DFxl; start time: 11:04; end: 17:03; avg:20.37; max: 29.1; climb: 1417; miles: 105.01
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2500675640

Sweet! That is a beautiful ride you have.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8006 - Feb 15th, 2018, 9:27pm

Sweet is right - money well spent!

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8007 - Feb 15th, 2018, 10:17pm

Quote from square_corners on Feb 15th, 2018, 9:27pm:
Sweet is right - money well spent!

I'll be going that route in a few years. For now I will try and enjoy the NoCom. It is sweet also. But I do love the DF. When I get one it will be the DFxl. Enjoy that beautiful ride of yours.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8008 - Feb 16th, 2018, 1:22pm

Five Clowns, including Richard R and Meta Ken, did breakfast at Barbec's, yesterday morning. Richard is back from a vacation in New Mexico and the warm, dry weather apparently lured Ken out of Frisco. Regular, Bob M, was absent. We were met at the lake by Joe F (back from two bouts with pneumonia), Butch Y, Larry K, Lynn M (back, after working on a sculpting project for 3 weeks), Mark McD, and Ken #3. Craig B, Tim L, and John and Heidi G joined us later in the morning. Daniel S tore the trail up in his velo, while the rest of us fought strong headwinds on our trikes and bikes. Did 4 laps (41.6 miles) on my M5 CMR. Enjoyed companionship with my fellow Clowns, but not riding into the wind. After riding, Craig and I did lunch at Jimmy Johns, then drove to my house, where we replaced a squealing brake disk on his VTX and dialed in the trike's shifter/rear derailleur combo to correct a shifting problem.

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2018, 1:23pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8009 - Feb 16th, 2018, 4:09pm

60 miles on the F-5 in yesterday's wind, 40 miles on the F-5 in today's wind. I rode the same route both days, just doing more laps in the state park yesterday.

Bud
* 2014 WAW
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 534 535 
Send Topic Print