Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jan 23rd, 2018, 9:22am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 527 528 529 530 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 791406 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #7920 - Jan 7th, 2018, 7:43am

I haven't ridden for 33 days! I have always hated riding indoors on a trainer, but I got in 15 minutes on my new fluid trainer. I guess I will have to get use to it as my respiratory system can not tolerate cool or cold air. Actually, it felt good to just be on my bike. I have the Musashi on the trainer.  

Action Lad, Key, when it warms up and I get back in shape, I'll be coming to WRL a few times. Maybe we can get together and push each other a little. Smiley

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7921 - Jan 7th, 2018, 4:59pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Jan 7th, 2018, 7:43am:
I haven't ridden for 33 days! I have always hated riding indoors on a trainer, but I got in 15 minutes on my new fluid trainer. I guess I will have to get use to it as my respiratory system can not tolerate cool or cold air. Actually, it felt good to just be on my bike. I have the Musashi on the trainer.

Action Lad, Key, when it warms up and I get back in shape, I'll be coming to WRL a few times. Maybe we can get together and push each other a little. Smiley
I share your aversion to indoor riding.  My problem, besides not having any evidence of motion, is that I can never get enough air moving past me to keep from overheating.  What I would do in my upright days, was to take my Kreitler rollers outside and ride for as long as I could.  
Sure, as it warms, I'll be spending my after work hours to get back into shape.  Typically, it'll be a while of patient 3-and-out laps before I'm in proper shape again and zooming along, but I'll be happy to ride with you, but again, I'll be there only after 5:30 or so, if I'm still interpreting for sports after the school day.  I'm a Sign Language Interpreter in Irving.  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7922 - Jan 7th, 2018, 7:37pm

i can be there in the afternoon. i look forward to riding with you.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7923 - Jan 8th, 2018, 4:35pm

VELO VETS RIDE
Skipped a Sunday ride because it was dreary and I wasn't in the mood. Rode today instead - beautiful day but didn't enjoy the wind except when I was going south! Velo Vets provides an opportunity to do a ride with others and enjoy some conversation. Every once in awhile I take advantage of that.
bike: Neuvation Road Bike; start time: 09:30; end: 12:45; avg:15.6; max: 26.6; climb: 571; miles: 40.59
sunny; wind: N 15; start  temp: 45; min: 43; avg: 51; max: 55; end: 55

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7924 - Jan 8th, 2018, 4:51pm

Instead of taking a senior lap after work I took the CG down to the pond and back. 13 is better than nothing.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7925 - Jan 9th, 2018, 4:25pm

CLOWN RIDE
This was a generally crummy day - foggy and misty, much colder than expected, and the cold lasted for the duration of the ride. I rode 2 laps+ before breakfast. Then, because it was too cold to stand around I did another lap straight after breakfast. I had to make a phone call after that lap, then chatted with some who were just leaving, and started another lap in the opposite direction of normal to find Larry and Bob, at which point I u-turned. The next lap, I rode with Bob, and the final lap I rode with Larry. By that time, everyone else had gone home. I made my objective for the day but ignoring the chill and getting it done was the challenge of the day!
bike: Catrike 700; start time: 07:16; end: 14:16; avg:14.9; max: 25; climb: 853; miles: 60.66
fog, mist, overcast; wind: SE 9 - 11; start  temp: 37; min: 36; avg: 40; max: 46; end: 43

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7926 - Jan 9th, 2018, 5:16pm

Nine at breakfast this morning, with Doug joining us.  Guess the day was too pretty to stay home.  I felt partially recovered from Saturday, but my first lap in the cold fog was pretty slow.  The second was, also, with less moisture on my glasses.  Daniel pushed me to a slightly improved average on my third, and it was less foggy and a few degrees warmer!  I quit, anyway.  32 miles for me today.  I got home before the sunlight started falling.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7927 - Jan 11th, 2018, 2:35pm

CLOWN RIDE
Much nicer day than Tuesday or Wednesday. But the fly in the ointment is the strong, approaching cold front. So I got an early start, completed 2 laps before breakfast with the Clowns. Then did 3 more laps after breakfast. Wind was South about 10 before breakfast. By the first after breakfast lap, the wind was SW about 15. Rode with Bob and Jay. The next lap the wind had shifted to the west at about 20 and the temperature started dropping. Rode that lap with Bob. By the last lap, which i did solo, the wind had shifted to the NW and had then picked up to about 25. There were pronounced white caps on the lake and in places the crosswind was fierce. But balance is never an issue on the recumbent trike - the perfect conveyance for such conditions.
bike: Catrike 700; start time: 07:33; end: 12:33; avg:15.2; max: 24.6; climb: 758; miles: 53.89
cloudy, then partly sunny; wind: NW 18-25; start temp: 52; min: 50; avg: 54; max: 59; end: 50

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7928 - Jan 11th, 2018, 6:50pm

Seven at breakfast this morning.  I did my first lap before breakfast a little overdressed, to catch water from the wet roads.  There must have been a heavy dew earlier.  As Daniel related, the wind increased as we rode, later, but the sun also peeked out to warm us up when we got into a protected area.  I wasn't brave enough to do a fourth lap with with him. as the front was obviously impending, but with a couple of side excursions, I managed to get 34 miles.  Next:  Sunny Mexico for a week!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7929 - Jan 14th, 2018, 7:03pm

Decided to get some miles in at WRL, since riding conditions will not be good the rest of the week. When I arrived at Sunset Bay, noticed that Butch Y's van was parked there. Set out counterClownwise on the Aero to see if I could run across him. Spotted him on the portion of the Trail that parallels N.W. Hwy. Rode back to Sunset Bay with him, then he and I did two laps together. The trail was unusually crowded for a cool day. Lots of rental bike riders, kids on bikes, pedestrians, and dogs. Got in 32.4 miles. We ran across John and Heidi G in the Sunset Bay parking lot. They had come to the lake to do some walking.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7930 - Jan 14th, 2018, 8:05pm

MAYPEARL METRIC 100K
A cold start to the day, in the 20s but a big warm up thanks to bright sun and a south wind gave great incentive to go do this ride. It was nearly an hour drive but worth it today to have a group to ride with in some fresh scenery. Although I've been doing LSR rides since 2004, I had never done this ride. So it truly was fresh scenery. Despite the big warm up, it was still a brisk start. However, a big climb starting within the first 4 miles warmed me up and I had no more feelings of being chilly - I was toasty warm after that climb, and that was reinforced by several long or steep climbs on the way to Maypearl. On the way back, we had more of the same but with a nice tailwind then. The ride started at Joe Poole Lake and went south over very lumpy terrain to Maypearl. The return from Maypearl was equally lumpy but a nice tailwind helped. All in all a great ride capped by a nice Catfish dinner at the nearby Oasis Restaurant with the group!
bike: Neuvation Road Bike; start time: 10:31; end: 15:05; avg:15.3; max: 33.1; climb: 2451; miles: 63.02
SUNNY; wind: SE 10; start  temp: 41; min: 41; avg: 48; max: 54; end: 52
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2435624638

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2018, 4:46pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7931 - Jan 15th, 2018, 4:45pm

Garland/Mesquite/Sunnyvale
Planned to get a ride in today ahead of the next big cold front, which promises to keep me off the bike at least until Thursday. I waited around for it to warm up a little but by the time I got out there, it was in the mid 50s. There was full sun, too, with light to moderate SW wind. But I'd waited a good hour too late as it actually felt balmy out there. The cold front was expected to come in by 3 PM so it caused me to have to "short" my ride. I did however finish before the front arrived, but just! I aborted my plan to go back to White Rock Lake as I had the road bike in the car. I don't care for riding the road bike at the lake, so that prompted me to change plans. It worked out well, though, as I got a decent ride and more climbing than I would have at the lake!
bike: Neuvation Road Bike; start time: 11:45; end: 14:34; avg:15.5; max: 30.6; climb: 1450; miles: 42.47
SUNNY, becoming cloudy; wind: SW 10-16; start  temp: 55; min: 54; avg: 58; max: 61; end: 54
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2437346599

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7932 - Jan 16th, 2018, 9:48am

No ride report, just a breakfast-eating report. One Clown showed up at Barbec's this morning. When I passed by WRL, going to and coming from Barbec's, all I saw on the trail was parked rental bikes. It was 21 degrees and the wind velocity was about 10 mph.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7933 - Jan 16th, 2018, 4:16pm

I managed 50 miles yesterday afternoon, out to Purtis Creek State Park, and some laps there, before the front got here. It started raining just as I pulled in my driveway, so I finished just in time. Between the cold weather, my own terrible cold, then cold weather again, it was my first ride of the year. It was also my first ride on the F-5 in three weeks. My last December rides were done in the WAW, as chilly as it was outside.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2018, 4:19pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2014 WAW
* 2009 RANS F5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7934 - Jan 17th, 2018, 2:28pm

Nuthin' but trainer miles on the Rocket, lately...   Actually broke the seat support bolt at the frame, pushing a bit too hard...    Been riding to a combination of Spinervals videos and music CDs...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 529 530 
Send Topic Print