Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Dec 16th, 2017, 11:50pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 522 523 524 525 526 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 766639 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #7845 - Dec 2nd, 2017, 8:30pm

Would have been nice to just settle for the East Side ride. But I had it in my head that I was going to spend this nice December day doing a 200k. I did at least ride the 2-wheel recumbent, true to my rbent roots! But it was not a pretty ride. What it was, was a beating. I decided to do Blurox mainly because I had a couple copies of the blank ppw laying around. The wind forecast looked iffy but I decided to go for it anyway, and I was going to do it solo. One of my lady friends wants to do a 200k with me in a couple weeks but who knows whether it will be a nice day? It was a very tough ride. I should have paid closer attention to that wind forecast. The final 70 miles, which has more than it's fair share of the 3600 ft of climbing, also had more than it's fair share of the headwind! To make matters worse, I started the ride with a mild headache which proceeded to worsen with every passing mile. By the time I finished, my head was in agony (and so was I). I usually avg about 16.5 mph on this one if I do it solo. This time it was 15.9 mph. I had a 17.3 mph avg at Roxton, mile 54. It went downhill from there while the terrain was doing a lot of uphill and the wind was ramping up. This was not fun! Probably just as well I didn't have a ride companion - I wouldn't have been good company.
BIKE: Bacchetta CA2 recumbent; start time: 07:35; end: 16:29; avg:15.9; max: 30.7; climb: 3645; miles: 125.54
HIGH CLOUDS; wind: S 8 - 15; start  temp: 52; min: 50; avg: 67; max: 79; end: 68
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2362030591

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2017, 8:34pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7846 - Dec 2nd, 2017, 10:03pm

Stayed up until 12:00 AM last night watching TV, so didn't make today's East Side ride. Took my Aero trike to WRL this afternoon. More bike riders than pedestrians on the trail, so riding conditions were very good. Was motivated to ride faster than I normally would have, because of the high number of roadies present. Spotted three recumbents. One of them was really unusual - a tandem trike with a standard crank on the front and a hand crank for its paraplegic stoker. Got in 31 miles.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7847 - Dec 3rd, 2017, 5:18pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Dec 2nd, 2017, 7:33am:
After the 15th sounds perfect! That gives my sore leg another week to heal. Maybe we could pick up the pace then. I'll be bringing the Musashi. As the 15th gets closer, maybe we can work out a time to meet. Looking forward to meeting up and riding with you.
Jerry

Ah, the Musashi.  I'll bring mine for the occasion.  What color is yours?  Don't worry, mine is black.  Black goes with everything, tee, hee! Can't wait.  
Check your PMs. Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7848 - Dec 3rd, 2017, 7:10pm

Quote from Action Lad on Dec 3rd, 2017, 5:18pm:
After the 15th sounds perfect! That gives my sore leg another week to heal. Maybe we could pick up the pace then. I'll be bringing the Musashi. As the 15th gets closer, maybe we can work out a time to meet. Looking forward to meeting up and riding with you.
Jerry

Ah, the Musashi.  I'll bring mine for the occasion.  What color is yours?  Don't worry, mine is black.  Black goes with everything, tee, hee! Can't wait.  
Check your PMs. Smiley

Black also. Nothing new in my PM's!

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2017, 7:14pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7849 - Dec 3rd, 2017, 8:44pm

Drove to WRL to get some more miles in on my Aero. Spotted Key L's car when I pulled into the Sunset Bay parking lot. Trail was not real crowded when I did my first lap. Key passed me, just past the Culture Center on the Trail's East side, and was waiting at Sunset Bay when I arrived back there. Butch Y arrived in the parking lot, while I was talking to Key. He had gotten in four laps, and was calling it quits. Key and I then did separate laps (He's much faster than I am, so we didn't ride together). When I arrived back at Sunset Bay, Key was talking to Johnny_bent who was riding his rat rod Schwinn (It's in primer). Rode with John, until he turned off on Fisher Rd. for home. Completed my lap, then headed for home. Got in 31 miles.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7850 - Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:57pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Dec 3rd, 2017, 7:10pm:
Quote from Action Lad on Dec 3rd, 2017, 5:18pm:
Jerry

Check your PMs. Smiley

Black also. Nothing new in my PM's!
Oops!  Got busy.   Smiley  
PMs from here on.   embarrassed

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
kenbent6

rbent member

Reply #7851 - Dec 4th, 2017, 4:08pm

What a nice day for a ride, YES it was a bit windy 15-20 mph gust up to 30 (e-bobs hill training) BUT! BIG RED has new heavy duty shoes so I let him do most of the work while I enjoyed the ride, Smiley  had to feed him extra oats when we got home but it was worth it. 35 miles and no dogs sprayed.  Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7852 - Dec 4th, 2017, 5:50pm

Fall weather today, Winter weather preview tomorrow. So, I took the Aero to WRL, early this afternoon, to get in some of the miles I would normally get on a Tuesday Clown ride. Very few riders and pedestrians. Wind was blowing pretty good, but not like it's going to blow tomorrow. The Aero rolls well into headwinds, due to its 20 degree seat angle, so had some fun outpacing upright riders into the wind. Thought I might see Kenny J at the lake, but looks like he was riding country roads, looking for dogs to spray.  Cheesy  Got in 35 miles. See you Clowns at Barbec's in the morning. I can already taste the coffee and large glazed cinnamon bun.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017, 10:10pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7853 - Dec 5th, 2017, 2:31pm

Seven at breakfast this morning; Jay and Jim didn't come dressed to ride.  Lynn, Larry, Butch, Mark, and Craig awaited us down by the lake.  My first lap was done before breakfast.  It was not too cold, but the North wind was fearsome.  After eating, I did a similarly slow lap with Larry.  The wind had moderated only slightly.  Kenny donned his Captain America outfit, and I managed one more lap, then quit, leaving it to Larry, Kenny, and Craig to carry on.  The sun tried to come out to encourage the rest of us, but I wasn't having it.  33 miles for me today.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7854 - Dec 5th, 2017, 4:16pm

I got in around 20 miles in the corovelo. I rode Smithfield Rd to the Cotton Belt Trail to Grapevine Rd and back. Got some get comments from people about my ride. I wish I had remembered to turn on the GoPro at the start of the ride. I remembered to turn it on about 2 miles from my house. I love the reaction from the lady at the red light. I got several more comments like that, just didn't get them recorded. https://youtu.be/L-d8x4OxOWc

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7855 - Dec 7th, 2017, 6:51pm

Clown Ride
Hadn't ridden since Dec 2nd as I've had a number issues with home and van that needed to be addressed. Then, last night, fell down the attic access stairs and wondered how that would affect my plans to ride today. I did have some aches and pains as a result of that but nothing interfered with my ride. First lap, before breakfast at Barbec's, was a slow, difficult ride in the traditional clownwise direction - that wind! It really slowed me down. 14.7 avg for the lap. It was cold but I was overdressed and I was too hot. After breakfast, it was actually colder and getting colder. I made a wardrobe adjustment and was not too hot again (nor was I too cold). Did 30 more miles after lap 1, in a counterclownwise direction - seemed easier to me. Averaged 15.8 for the final 30 miles so a total avg for the day of 15.5.
Bob Millay was the only one to ride before breakfast besides me. Richard was prepared to ride after breakfast and I saw him taking his bike out of his truck, but I didn't wait around to see if he actually rode. So Bob did another lap and Lynn and Craig showed up later. I think they each did 2 laps, together, but I didn't finish before they left. I did 3 laps total including the run up to Barbec's but not a complete 4th lap. I just rode up to the north end of the trail before turning back to Sunset Bay. Needed to be at home by 1 PM so I left after 41 miles.

BIKE: Bacchetta CA2 recumbent; start time: 07:47; end: 12:29; avg:15.5; max: 25.8; climb: 935; miles: 41.59
CLOUDY; wind: NE 18; start  temp: 43; min: 34; avg: 36; max: 43; end: 34 (although it was warmer at 39° per my car thermometer)

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7856 - Dec 7th, 2017, 7:48pm

Five at breakfast this morning.  Jay and Kenny came for the victuals only.  Before breakfast, I was contemplating unloading my trike, with the cold and wind.  I could trundle around as slowly as I liked, and nobody would know.  Then Daniel drove up, and I had to unload the bike.  The wind was brutal, and my breathing was difficult, but I was still slow.  After we ate, the temperature had fallen to 41.  Daniel was delayed, and I was freezing, so I headed out for another lap.  I encountered Daniel on the other side, going the other way, then Richard a little later.  Got back to find Lynn and Craig preparing for another lap.  Then Daniel rolled in to declair the anti-clownwise lap to be easier, but it was too late for me.  I bailed with 22 miles (at 39 degrees).

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7857 - Dec 7th, 2017, 9:05pm

Quote from rmillay on Dec 7th, 2017, 7:48pm:
Five at breakfast this morning.  Jay and Kenny came for the victuals only.  Before breakfast, I was contemplating unloading my trike, with the cold and wind.  I could trundle around as slowly as I liked, and nobody would know.  Then Daniel drove up, and I had to unload the bike.  The wind was brutal, and my breathing was difficult, but I was still slow.  After we ate, the temperature had fallen to 41.  Daniel was delayed, and I was freezing, so I headed out for another lap.  I encountered Daniel on the other side, going the other way, then Richard a little later.  Got back to find Lynn and Craig preparing for another lap.  Then Daniel rolled in to declair the anti-clownwise lap to be easier, but it was too late for me.  I bailed with 22 miles (at 39 degrees).

Thanks to the Internet, I was able to learn what the word "victuals" means. Some of us call Bob "The Professor", because he has a science doctorate. Learned from him at Tuesday morning's breakfast that so-called "Stevia" sweeteners may have additional ingredients. Found out my favorite "Stevia" sweetener's main ingredient is Erythritol, an acid that in addition to being used as an artificial sweetener is used as an insecticide. Bob recommends I use it on my plants, rather than in my coffee and food.   Grin

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7858 - Dec 9th, 2017, 9:38pm

Haven't ridden since last Monday, because of cold weather. So, took my Greenspeed Aero trike to WRL this afternoon to get in some miles. Did a lake lap into, and with, a cool wind from the North on a lightly populated trail. Decided to do some exploring part way through a second lap. Turned off on Fisher Rd. and rode to the entrance of the Katy Trail Extension, then headed for Mockingbird Station. Discovered the portion of the trail leading to the new Mockingbird bridge has been completed, and is open. Rode over the bridge, then to the intersection of McCommas Blvd. and Central Expressway. The Katy Trail can be accessed by riding the McCommas bridge over Central to McKinney Ave., then riding North on McKinney to the Trail. Didn't ride to the Katy Trail, because I wanted to get back to WRL's Sunset Bay before dusk. Got into a race with an upright rider that was about to pass me on the Katy Trail Extention, heading back to WRL. Got the Aero up to 26 mph, and the other rider fell behind. The Aero is new, but has an 80 year old engine that could have thrown a rod at the 149 bpm heart rate it experienced.  Cheesy  The Aero is the real deal - I've never been able to get my ICE VTX even close to 26 mph, and it's supposed to be a fast trike. Got in 32.2 miles.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7859 - Dec 10th, 2017, 11:17am

Yesterday's East side ride looked like a Clown ride, with only Ferd on his DF Wilier.  We headed East on 18th to Shiloh, then did the North loop, cutting off the Old Stacy Road part.  Heidi was slow, so she and John turned back short of the rest stop, and Richard went back from there.  That left Daniel and Doug and me for Ferd to shepherd the rest of the way.  Ferd was nice enough to lay back with me, or maybe the Northwest wind was slowing hom.  I don't know.  Doug and Daniel cut off to Doug's place in Parker.  Ferd and I must have made good time, because the rest of the riders were still in the parking lot at PB&F.  I had to get home, with 41 miles on the odometer.  The rest met at Potbelly's.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 524 525 526 
Send Topic Print