Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Nov 17th, 2017, 3:01pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 519 520 521 522 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 755361 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #7800 - Nov 9th, 2017, 6:13pm

Clown Ride
Got a later start and a lap less than Tuesday. Planning on a 100k tomorrow so decided I didn't need to push for miles today. That, and the relatively cold day dissuaded me from going much beyond 4 laps.
BIKE: Bacchetta CA2 recumbent; start time: 9:24; end: 12:48; avg:17.1; max: 26.8; climb: 607; miles: 44.36
CLOUDY; wind: N 4 - 7; start  temp: 50; min: 45; avg: 48; max: 54; end: 48

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7801 - Nov 10th, 2017, 7:04pm

A Qwik Tiger Tale 104k
Cindy and I took several breaks, totaling 1h 22min - quite a bit for a 65-mile ride, which started in McKinney, went right through Blue Ridge and turned back after reaching Leonard. But, neither of us was in any big hurry and when she wanted to stop, we stopped. We had one official stop, at Leonard. Given how much climbing there was in a mere 65 miles (climbing 2300+ ft) we had a decent avg when we were moving. I rode my 2-wheel recumbent as I am still recovering from a saddle sore which developed during my cross-country tour. Enjoyed riding the recumbent though - it felt good, and Cindy was able to get a partial draft, so the ride went well!
BIKE: Bacchetta CA2 recumbent; start time: 10:21; end: 15:43; avg:16.2; max: 31.9; climb: 2323; miles: 64.95
HIGH CLOUDS; wind: SE 5 - 9; start  temp: 54; min: 54; avg: 63; max: 65; end: 61
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2325332832

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7802 - Nov 12th, 2017, 12:51pm

Four Clowns and surprise guest Bud_Bent came out to Lancaster to ride with Paul yesterday morning.  Paul and I were on our trikes, Butch on his antique Vision, Bud on his F5, Jay, loaded for bear, on his Carbent, and Kenny, better prepared than all of us, on his motorized EZ.  It didn't take long for me to wish I were motorized on the Ferris Rd. hill.  Jay hadn't gotten his mojo working yet, and had to dismount and walk the steep part.  I chuffed up it at 5mph, narrowly avoiding cardiac arrest.  After our first official rest stop, we had to negotiate the hills on Sugar Ridge Rd.  It's a good thing my 700 rolls so well, because I sure lost a lot of ground on the ascents.  We had a point-of-interest stop at the estate of the guy who patented highway reflective paint--nice place--then went through Palmer to our second official rest stop.  Paul was buying.  After that, we headed in a more northerly direction, taking advantage of the wind.  We got a brief stretch of sunshine, then clouds dominated again, but the terrain was more agreeable to recumbent riders, if not the road surface (I had to re-tighten my mirror twice).  A brief traffic jam, involving two manouvering semi tractors, was the only incident of note on our way to the finish.  We all got a tour of John's Bike Shop, and enjoyed a tasty, if somewhat limited lunch fare, at the neighboring restaurant.  In all, a mostly enjoyable 41 miles.  Paul should have a birthday every year!

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2017, 12:55pm by rmillay »  

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7803 - Nov 12th, 2017, 1:40pm

Yes, it was a fun ride. At lunch, we treated Paul to a heart disease and Medicare discussion, to give him a preview of coming attractions. Happy Birthday, Paul!

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2017, 1:41pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2014 WAW
* 2009 RANS F5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7804 - Nov 12th, 2017, 4:06pm

Quote from rmillay on Nov 12th, 2017, 12:51pm:
It didn't take long for me to wish I were motorized on the Ferris Rd. hill.  Jay hadn't gotten his mojo working yet and had to dismount and walk the steep part.  I chuffed up it at 5mph, narrowly avoiding cardiac arrest.  After our first official rest stop, we had to negotiate the hills on Sugar Ridge Rd.  It's a good thing my 700 rolls so well because I sure lost a lot of ground on the ascents.
Wow, looks like I missed a good one.  Had to work.  Oh well, I get to afford a few more franks and beans.   Roll Eyes  
Happy Birthday again, Paul!

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7805 - Nov 12th, 2017, 5:08pm

Well I got the X out and went down to the pond. fairly moderate traffic out with semi warm/cold temps. Saw one trike loaded down at t&p. Three new copsicles  were being chased down by "ride like you stole it" Mark L. wearing his con outfit. 22 for the day.

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7806 - Nov 13th, 2017, 5:57pm

Took X down to the pond. chilly. lonely. 22.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7807 - Nov 14th, 2017, 12:03am

You know how the pedestrians are always asking to be hit for various reasons?  Well, tonight I answered one of them.  
I had just started my second lap.  It was as dark and nearly as lonely as Johnnybent said.  I was between the Arboretum and Garland Road.  The two African Huskies up front were mushing to the tune of 22 mph when all of a sudden there appeared a stalky man with a dark gray shirt and medium blue shorts...invisible in the darkness and my lights didn't pick him up until I was about ten feet from him.  Well, the excellent brakes souped up by Garmin Industries hauled the speed down to perhaps 18 mph.  I swerved left to avoid him, his position was mid-lane.  My Musashi's right handlebar swiped him, breaking off the Zefal mirror, but with no other damage.  I was able to keep up the rubber side down by divine intervention.  I stopped to see if he was alright.  He was fine.  I told him that the fact that he had no bright clothing, reflective anything, or light attached to him made him impossible to see, that cyclists wear bright clothing like I was wearing, and lights to avoid collisions.  He, of course, in his broken English, asked if I were looking carefully at the road ahead.  To avoid having to call an ambulance after my reaction, I continued on.  
Geez, I don't know what's worse, motorons of the open road, or the brainless peds on the MUP.    I completed that lap and another for 32 and change at 19 mph.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7808 - Nov 14th, 2017, 6:30pm

Down to the pond....again on the X. Much warmer this late afternoon. Not much traffic. 22.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7809 - Nov 14th, 2017, 7:09pm

Four at breakfast this morning, including prodigal Richard R.  Larry, Jim, Butch, Mark and Ken III were down by the water.  Then Lynn arrived, and, later, John and Heidi.  I awoke late and only got a partial lap before eating, then did four laps, three with Larry, for 51 miles.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7810 - Yesterday at 1:08pm

Saturday afternoon - Garland / Sunnyvale / Mesquite:
Did an afternoon ride with Jenny. We again left from Garland taking the bike path over to Barnes Bridge. We couldn't do the full loop as she needed to be finished by 3 PM. If I hadn't done this ride, I probably would have skipped a ride.
BIKE: Bacchetta CA2 recumbent; start time: 11:54; end: 14:52; avg:15.6; max: 32; climb: 1480; miles: 42.37
HIGH CLOUDS; wind: SE 11-13; start  temp: 64; min: 63; avg: 66; max: 70; end: 66
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2326966619

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7811 - Yesterday at 1:09pm

Tuesday night - Poteet ride:
Joined the night ride with James, Wes, Jenny, Dean, and Melinda. Rode the 2-wheel recumbent with the dynamo wheel on front and had good front light with no worry about the battery as it is leg power and hub generator that powers it. Balmy air was the incentive to ride. This time of year, one must take advantage of balmy air!
BIKE: Bacchetta CA2 recumbent; start time: 17:43; end: 20:06; avg:16; max: 31.9; climb: 804; miles: 33.34
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: SE 7 - 15; start  temp: 68; min: 66; avg: 66; max: 68; end: 66
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2332596472

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7812 - Yesterday at 1:11pm

Wednesday night - Wednesday abCd with PBA from Spring Creek and Coit:
Poteet is definitely a better ride due to very few traffic lights or stops. This ride is a ton of traffic lights. We did get some light rain and a wind shift with the passage of the cold front but the rain wasn't enough to even wet the pavement. Pablo came out on the C ride with his velomobile. That was a surprise as I expected him to be on his trike. But he only stayed for a little more than half the ride. I'd been hearing noise coming from the seat bag during the ride. I decided that was because I didn't have spare clothing in there. At the end of the ride I found out the real reason - bag was completely unzipped! Fortunately, it didn't seem as though anything important fell out but wallet, phone, and car keys were at risk owing to that little oversight!
BIKE: Bacchetta CA2 recumbent; start time: 18:00; end: 20:13; avg:16.1; max: 32.6; climb: 663; miles: 30.11
CLOUDY/drizzle; wind: NE 0-11; start  temp: 68; min: 59; avg: 62; max: 68; end: 59
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2334234620

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7813 - Yesterday at 1:13pm

TODAY - CLOWN RIDE:
Woke up early enough so decided to head over to the lake this morning. Did 25 miles then went for breakfast at Barbec's with Jay, Kenny, Ken, and Bob. Had originally planned on 4 laps after breakfast but decided to save something for the night ride (and avoid trail morons) so I capped it at 3+ laps and will do another 30 miles later if it doesn't rain.
BIKE: Bacchetta CA2 recumbent; start time: 07:19; end: 11:35; avg:17.7; max: 28.5; climb: 646; miles: 50.46
CLOUDY; wind: E 3-12; start  temp: 61; min: 59; avg: 62; max: 68; end: 66

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7814 - Yesterday at 7:37pm

Five at breakfast this morning.  After I passed Lynn and Daniel gave chase to Larry, I wound up soloing that lap.  And I couldn't keep up with Larry and Daniel on the next.  That one saw a semi trailer come over into our lane on a curve, menacing me and a wedgie I was passing.  Larry rode with me on the third lap.  With the pre-lap, that gave me 43 miles for the day.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 521 522 
Send Topic Print