Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 23rd, 2017, 2:13am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 511 512 513 514 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 709717 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #7680 - Sep 12th, 2017, 6:21pm

Only Bob M, Meta Ken and I showed up for breakfast at Barbec's. Kenny J was camping somewhere and John S (No. 1 Clown) is out of commission for the week. Riders meeting us at the lake were: E. Bob (Most senior Clown, and teller of tall tales), Butch Y, Mark McD, Craig B, Larry K, Tim L, and Jim A. Tim was not up for fast laps around the lake, so I rode a slow lap with him. Rode a second lap with fast group member, Bob M. After a long break, Craig and I accompanied Meta Ken up the White Rock Creek Trail to the Anderson Bonner Park parking lot. Bob M took a longer route, and rolled up soon after Ken, Craig and I had arrived at the parking lot. Afterwards, Bob, Craig and I proceeded to the turnaround at the end of the trail, then headed back to Sunset Bay at a moderate pace (Bob was babying his sore knee). Bob and I bypassed, then returned to, Sunset to get in at least 50 miles. Got in 50.4 miles.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2017, 8:13pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7681 - Sep 12th, 2017, 7:16pm

Did my first lap with Larry at a pretty good pace.  The second, I let Jay draft me all the way to Mockingbird, where he pulled the old Let a Car Block Your Opponent While You Go Behind the Car trick.  Once he got on the trail there was no catching him.  My knee bothered me going up the trail from the third lap, against the wind.  But coming back with the wind was easier.  A karma reversal at Mockingbird allowed me to get ahead on W. Lawther, but when my Camelbak tube acted up, I had to give up my lead.  I wound up with 50 miles, for another entry into BJ's 50 mile challenge.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7682 - Sep 13th, 2017, 7:32am

I went to my daughter's house yesterday to baby sit and ride the Cotton Belt Trail. I needed to go to Home depot over on Precinct Road. I rode up to the Trail, and as I got on it, two DF's were just ahead of me. I say, on your left, and pass the two. I look in my mirror and they are both standing up to catch me. I kicked it up a few notches and off I went. I made it to Precinct Rd. and pushed the button for the traffic light and had to sit for 3-4 minutes waiting for it to change. Just as the light was turning green, one of the Df guys came riding up out of breathe. He asks me, do you have an electric motor on that thing or something?No, it is just me. He says then it must be the tires. No, they are 28mm touring tires. Well then, how much air pressure do you run? It says 85-115. That is how you out ran us then. Yeah, that is it. LOL!  

Got in a total of 25 miles on the trail. Got home around 7 pm and by the time I was ready to go ride, it was close to 7:30. Got back to the Rv with 20 more miles just as it got really dark for 45 miles total. A little over 240 miles for the last 6 days. That is the most mileage for me in a week in over a year. I didn't ride  Saturday, so it was really 5 days. Trying to get in good enough shape to ride the Natchez Trace Parkway and back to my Mom's house, about 1,300 miles total.

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2017, 7:33am by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7683 - Sep 13th, 2017, 8:21am

Took the train down to WRL station at 5PM, and did a couple of solo laps, then encountered Mark coming the other direction, so turned around to ride with him for a lap, pushing 19-22 most of the way 'round...  let's just say nobody passed us...  Caught the 7:15 train back to Rowlett, with just enough daylight to ride home without lights, for 36 miles total.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bob wand

Reply #7684 - Sep 13th, 2017, 10:46am

Quote from jayg on Sep 12th, 2017, 6:21pm:
Only Bob M, Meta Ken and I showed up for breakfast at Barbec's. Kenny J was camping somewhere and John S (No. 1 Clown) is out of commission for the week. Riders meeting us at the lake were: E. Bob (Most senior Clown, and teller of tall tales), Butch Y, Mark McD, Craig B, Larry K, Tim L, and Jim A. Tim was not up for fast laps around the lake, so I rode a slow lap with him. Rode a second lap with fast group member, Bob M. After a long break, Craig and I accompanied Meta Ken up the White Rock Creek Trail to the Anderson Bonner Park parking lot. Bob M took a longer route, and rolled up soon after Ken, Craig and I had arrived at the parking lot. Afterwards, Bob, Craig and I proceeded to the turnaround at the end of the trail, then headed back to Sunset Bay at a moderate pace (Bob was babying his sore knee). Bob and I bypassed, then returned to, Sunset to get in at least 50 miles. Got in 50.4 miles.

"It anit bragging if you can do it"

Bob Wand

Longest Ride-Los Angeles - Boston

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7685 - Sep 13th, 2017, 1:31pm

Quote from bob wand on Sep 13th, 2017, 10:46am:
Quote from jayg on Sep 12th, 2017, 6:21pm:

"It anit bragging if you can do it"

Grin

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7686 - Sep 14th, 2017, 12:32am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 13th, 2017, 8:21am:
Took the train down to WRL station at 5PM, and did a couple of solo laps, then encountered Mark coming the other direction, so turned around to ride with him for a lap, pushing 19-22 most of the way 'round...  let's just say nobody passed us...  Caught the 7:15 train back to Rowlett, with just enough daylight to ride home without lights, for 36 miles total.

I was there and saw Mark passing by Sunset Bay twice as I was equipping the trike for the night's ride.  I only saw him with an upright guy.  You?

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7687 - Sep 14th, 2017, 6:53am

Rode my new most favorite ride yesterday morning. It is 50 miles of beautiful country roads riding. I saw a total of 8 cars/trucks and one tractor on the entire ride. Come on out for a nice, peaceful ride. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1772036276. Anyone needing to ride DART, I could pick them up in Denton, and transport them to ride. The ride has some nice hills, farm animals, wild life, fresh air, and very little vehicle traffic. If you need a longer ride, no problem. You can go over 200 miles on these back country roads.

Here is a partial video of my ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iWF4nb1_gQ.

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2017, 11:36am by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7688 - Sep 14th, 2017, 6:18pm

Only 3 Clowns showed up for breakfast at Barbec's - Kenny J, Meta Ken, and me. Already at WRL, getting in laps, were Larry K, Craig B, E. Bob, and Tim L. Bob M showed up, as I was completing a lake lap with Tim. My second lap was a fast one with Larry, Bob M. and Tim. John and Heidi G. arrived in the parking lot, as the rest of us were taking a break. E. Bob lived up to the "E" before his first name by trying to run me over with his 700 in the parking lot.   Cheesy  After the break, just Craig and I accompanied Meta Ken up the White Rock Creek Trail to Anderson Bonner. After Ken left, Craig and I proceeded to the trail's end, then headed South. We stopped at the Tennis Center for ice cream and conversation, then returned to Sunset Bay. From there we rode to Jimmy Johns for lunch. Afterwards we rode back down the hill to the trail with Craig turning right for Sunset and me left, heading for the dam and back. Got in 51.4 miles on my Aero trike. Two hundred and forty total miles on the trike, as of today. Liking it more and more. What a great little trike.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7689 - Sep 14th, 2017, 6:43pm

Kathy's Prius wouldn't start, and was behind my car in the driveway, so I had to solve that before I could get to the lake.  Turned out the 12v battery was low, and a jump start worked.  I did my first lap with Larry, Jay, and Tim.  Jay took off on us; my lap was not so fast.  I was using mostly my right leg to pedal, hoping my sore knee would like that.  My second with Larry was even slower, as it was the end of a long day for him.  When everybody else took off, John G., I, and Tim dribbled out for another lap.  My knee allowed a little more speed, but I couldn't catch John on his old Pugeot.  I got an easy 32 miles.  I'll see if an easy ride with Ferd this weekend puts my knee in a better state.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
bob wand

Reply #7690 - Sep 14th, 2017, 7:07pm

Quote from jayg on Sep 14th, 2017, 6:18pm:
Only 3 Clowns showed up for breakfast at Barbec's - Kenny J, Meta Ken, and me. Already at WRL, getting in laps, were Larry K, Craig B, E. Bob, and Tim L. Bob M showed up, as I was completing a lake lap with Tim. My second lap was a fast one with Larry, Bob M. and Tim. John and Heidi G. arrived in the parking lot, as the rest of us were taking a break. E. Bob lived up to the "E" before his first name by trying to run me over with his 700 in the parking lot.   Cheesy  After the break, just Craig and I accompanied Meta Ken up the White Rock Creek Trail to Anderson Bonner. After Ken left, Craig and I proceeded to the trail's end, then headed South. We stopped at the Tennis Center for ice cream and conversation, then returned to Sunset Bay. From there we rode to Jimmy Johns for lunch. Afterwards we rode back down the hill to the trail with Craig turning right for Sunset and me left, heading for the dam and back. Got in 51.4 miles on my Aero trike. Two hundred and forty total miles on the trike, as of today. Liking it more and more. What a great little trike.  Smiley

I had a chance to take a shot at jayg up on the White Rock Trail but he was hiding behind the lead rider. The fat tires on the 700 help smooth out the
trail. Maybe I will ride it more often. 61 miles total I am cutting back.

Bob Wand

Longest Ride-Los Angeles - Boston

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7691 - Sep 14th, 2017, 11:30pm

EL CENTRO TO BLYTHE: Day 3, Pac Tour Southern, El Centro to Blythe, last day in California: this was a 103 mile day that was to be significantly hot for most of it. I was intimidated and with good reason. I was increasingly nauseous as the ride progressed. I couldn't eat lunch. Fortunately by the time I finished that feeling had passed. It was a little cooler today - only 115! Had 1900 ft of climbing while crossing the Imperial Dunes and the miles of rollers after that. This ride put me over 9000 miles for the year!
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 6:37; end: 15:13; avg:15.8; max: 32.2; climb: 1913; miles: 102.6   SUNNY; wind: S 0 - 10; start  temp: 73; min: 72; avg: 95; max: 117; end: 111
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1976425154

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7692 - Sep 14th, 2017, 11:32pm

BLYTHE CA TO WICKENBURG AZ: Day 4 of the Pac Tour Southern: we left California this morning and headed for Wickenburg AZ, 116 miles from Blythe. We climbed over 2 mountain ranges, each followed by very nice downhill runs. Sometimes we had a headwind or crosswind. But for the downhill, we had some strong tailwind! There was 3400 ft of climbing in total but it wasn't that easy. The temperature topped at 115. But thanks to some cooler air toward the end, and cloud shade at times, conditions improved. It was still 95 at the end but I felt better by then than I had the previous 2 days.
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 6:39; end: 15:54; avg:16; max: 34.6; climb: 3425; miles: 116.42
SUNNY; wind: N 4; start  temp: 70; min: 70; avg: 98; max: 115; end: 95
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1976425200

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7693 - Sep 14th, 2017, 11:34pm

WICKENBURG AZ TO COTTONWOOD AZ: Day 5, Pac Tour Southern Transcon: Wickenburg to Cottonwood - another Century done and this one with 8000 ft of climbing! We crossed 3 mountain ranges - the first one up to 4700 ft, the second up to 6100 ft and the 3rd up to 7000 ft. There were great, fast descents after each. I hit 46 mph on the last descent. I would have gone faster if I'd let it go longer. 46 was fast enough. Along the way we passed through Prescott and Jerome. Jerome was especially interesting but unfortunately no time to explore. Most importantly, no heat to contend with. It was a gloriously cool day. I finally was able to upload more Garmin data - Tuesday's high temperature was 117 with an ending temp in Blythe, of 111. Wednesday's high temperature was 115 with an ending temp of 95. No wonder I was dealing with heat related issues!
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 6:44; end: 16:06; avg:13.1; max: 46; climb: 8035; miles: 103.89
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: S 15-35; start  temp: 66; min: 64; avg: 78; max: 88; end: 86
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1977886261

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7694 - Sep 15th, 2017, 8:33pm

Quote from Action Lad on Sep 7th, 2017, 5:44am:
Quote from square_corners on Sep 6th, 2017, 6:48am:
I have a bug headnet. Unfortunately, you can't drink through it very well if at all. But if you can hold off drinking for the extent of the bug infestation, it works very well!

At WRL, the onslaught lasts about 25 minutes.  I carry water on every trip, but if I am only doing Clownlike laps, stopping after every circus circuit, I don't bother drinking.  Just too busy producing speed.  Thanks for the report.   Smiley
Net already on order.  
So the head nets came in, and I've used them on two rides around WRL.  The Verdict?  The net is very light, barely there.  The darker it is, the less you notice.  There is just a little wispy-sounding noise as the wind goes by your ears and the lightweight net is against your face but compared with zero bother from those little white gnats...well those issues fade to nothing.  I highly recommend the use of these nets if you are bothered by light, flying bugs.  If it were not for my lights lighting them up, I wouldn't have known they were there.  By the way, I did dare to drink through the net.  Not a problem during the drink, but you have to blow the water from the mesh after the drink.   http://tinyurl.com/y72ef2gn

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 513 514 
Send Topic Print