Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 23rd, 2017, 2:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 499 500 501 502 503 ... 514
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? (Read 709719 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today?
Reply #7500 - Jul 15th, 2017, 10:01pm

Bent bike has a "bent" wheel. Need to replace the wheel  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7501 - Jul 16th, 2017, 8:32pm

Celestial Jaunt 200k
Got a message last night from Sharon - David and Sharon would be doing a 200k today - would I be interested. Well, I wasn't sure. After 80 on the trike on Saturday, I didn't think so. Yet, what else would I do? I knew David and Sharon would be doing a social pace so after some internal debating, I decided I'd give it a try. I figured my legs would be dead after Saturday. If I'd done Paris on a road bike, it would have been no problem. But this is more akin to doing a couple 200k rides on consecutive days. So I said OK. Well, during about the first half of the ride, my legs were pretty dead. My endurance on climbs was practically non-existent. But eventually I felt better. We came across Stephen Duke at the intersection of Wolf Creek Dr and Forest Grove. We told him what we were doing and he decided to tag along. He was fine to Princeton. But then we hit the chip seal in earnest and some big rollers and by the time we reached Merit, he was showing signs of fatigue. By the time we reached Celeste, he was done, with 55 miles, one lost bottle and one remaining, and the heat taking a toll by then, as well. Wisely, he decided to contact his wife for a rescue mission. Right after the original 3 of us left Celeste, we hit a fairly significant rain shower - it lasted about 10 minutes and felt great! Our next destination was the grocery in Blue Ridge for some refreshing cool air and a refreshing drink. Then it was back to Princeton down FM1377, with a nice push from the ENE wind. Our saved bag of ice left over from the morning visit was still there and we topped off camelbaks and bottles. The heat was waning and we had some cloud cover at times. Our route took us along some tree shaded lanes in the next few miles and we stopped in Allen for another refreshing a/c stop. Finally wrapped it up after a very slow ride and some long and relatively frequent stops. I knew it wouldn't be fast but during the latter half of the ride my legs had partially recovered and the heat was no longer a problem. I'd say it was a successful outing, albeit pretty slow at times but nice to catch up on Sharon's stories and recent experiences!
BIKE: Orbea Opal road bike; start time: 6:54; end: 18:30; avg:14.4; max: 30; climb: 4190; miles: 126.8
PARTLY CLOUDY & a rain shower; wind: E 3 - 5; start  temp: 72; min: 72; avg: 88; max: 102; end: 91
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1858939352

Email   IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #7502 - Jul 17th, 2017, 6:44pm

Was out of town meeting family in Colorado.    Dillon area has nice paved trails that I did my best to take advantage of.  (I wish I had the endurance I had 15 years ago or so.)    

These essentially start from the LaQuinta hotel in Silverthorne, CO,  climb the back side of the Dillon lake dam,  ride up a toward Keystone, CO.    Climbing did my legs in before I made it past there to Montezuma, CO.   Looks like there are paved paths from Dillon lake to each of the ski resorts in the area.  (Probably alpine ski trails in winter.)

Thursday 20.6miles / 2:33 @ 8mph
Friday 24.9miles / 3:05 @ 8mph
Saturday 12.27miles / 1:27 @ 8.5mph

I gave up trying to fix all the pictures imgur ate and shuffled on me.   I may eventually get the whole set there. (all from my rear facing camera.)

pictures

Some of the areas (especially the route I rode) have enough traffic that you probably can't keep your faster paces,  due to pedestrian and bike traffic,  especially true if your trike fully takes up your half of the path.    

IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7503 - Jul 18th, 2017, 12:48pm

So I actually did ride a short bit on the Trail de Paris on Saturday, but having forgotten my gps, I have no idea how far.  Oh well.

Today Dave and I went out to see how his hip would feel on the CA2.  All went better than expected regarding the hip, though he did have a front wheel flat half way through.  Gate 2 Road appears suitable for me to take the kids out on, to practice group riding, and low traffic so they can learn how to hold their line and cope with the occasional car.

Total 11 miles.  Hey, it's a start anyway!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #7504 - Jul 18th, 2017, 1:57pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Jul 18th, 2017, 12:48pm:
So I actually did ride a short bit on the Trail de Paris on Saturday, but having forgotten my gps, I have no idea how far.  Oh well.

Today Dave and I went out to see how his hip would feel on the CA2.  All went better than expected regarding the hip, though he did have a front wheel flat half way through.  Gate 2 Road appears suitable for me to take the kids out on, to practice group riding, and low traffic so they can learn how to hold their line and cope with the occasional car.

Total 11 miles.  Hey, it's a start anyway!

It's great to see you and Dave getting back out there.  Sometimes life hands us an obstacle and with a little patience and perseverance we overcome them. Congrats to you both  

2014 Bacchetta CA2
2014 Catrike 700
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7505 - Jul 18th, 2017, 3:52pm

Five at breakfast this morning.  Jim and Bob W. were at the lake.  Butch had to ride his mountain bike, and Diana rode her folder.  Later John and Heidi showed up.  Larry pulled in after a half lap as I was getting ready, so we rode together for three laps at a pretty good pace before he ejected.  I got in my fourth lap without spoiling my average, for 42 miles and 37 minutes a lap.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7506 - Jul 18th, 2017, 9:52pm

Rudy Lite - McKinney /Hackberry
Very stressed about doing this ride for some reason. As it turns out, I had nothing to worry about. As I do the ride more, my stress level should decrease. At least I was able to eat before the ride - hate to start a ride with nothing eaten before hand. There were some challenging hills but nothing I couldn't handle. The biggest drawback to doing these rides in the trike is I've already got a relatively heavy vehicle. Adding the camelbak in the rack trunk boosts the weight to about 45 lb. That weight contributes to making some of the climbs challenging. But that's why I'm riding it - a greater workout effect!
BIKE: Catrike 700 recumbent; start time: 7:30; end: 10:40; avg:16.3; max: 30.7; climb: 978; miles: 42.92
MOSTLY SUNNY; wind: SE 3 - 7; start  temp: 75; min: 75; avg: 86; max: 95; end: 90
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1862962758

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7507 - Jul 18th, 2017, 9:53pm

Mesquite /Sunnyvale ride
I'd seen a post on Facebook that the monthly Pop C ride would happen today. Was going to do it. But as the day progressed, I got cold feet. I remembered all those tough climbs in the first 10 miles before I'd be warmed up. Talked myself out of it. So, went over to Mesquite and did what was familiar to me. But it was hot and a very low turnout. I figured I'd struggle to keep up on the long climbs. I gave it my best and kept up. I'm always surprised when I dig deep and rescue myself from the jaws of defeat!  
BIKE: Catrike 700 recumbent; start time: 17:30; end: 20:03; avg:17.1; max: 30.6; climb: 919; miles: 38.02
MOSTLY SUNNY; wind: SE 9; start  temp: 90; min: 84; avg: 91; max: 100; end: 86
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1862962781

80.9 miles, 1897 feet of climbing for the day

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7508 - Jul 19th, 2017, 9:40am

Did a couple of lake laps on yesterday's Clown Ride, then Kenny J, Butch Y, Tim L and I headed out for a trip up the White Rock Creek with Meta Ken. When we reached the Tennis Center the siren call of frozen Fudgsicles got the best of Kenny and Butch. They peeled out of formation, and we never saw them again. Tim and I left Ken at the Anderson Bonner parking lot, rode to the end of the trail, then returned to WRL's Sunset Bay, where we found Bob M loading his Musashi into his van. Sat at the covered picnic table with Bob for a while and fed nuts to four squirrels, before packing it in. Got in a total of 44.7 miles.  

As Tim and I were riding on our second lap on the narrow trail between Mockingbird and N.W. Hwy, we came up on an ambulance and police car. The ambulance doors were closing and there was a cop there talking to a road bike rider with a bloody knee. Seems the bloody-knee guy came up on a slower rider and said "on your left", as he was passing. The slower rider looked to the left and veered to the left at the same time. They collided and went down, with the slower rider suffering a broken arm (They took him off in the ambulance). That narrow trail is doing good to be 6-feet wide. Pretty hairy meeting oncoming riders, particularly at the curves.

Fellow Metabikes Metaphysic rider, Meta Ken, passed along some good news, yesterday. RBR (Recumbent Bike Riders) in State College, PA has resumed production of aluminum Metaphysics  
(http://rbr.info/blog/). Really great bikes, and their lightweight tiller assemblies, when purchased by themselves, are excellent for converting a bike to tiller steering or replacing an existing tiller (I installed one on my M5 CMR).

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7509 - Jul 19th, 2017, 11:46am

Got a short 15 mi in today in the heat.  Just ran up 271 to the CO and back.  Nothing to write home about, though I was able to confirm that when I wave at the big rigs as they come up from behind, they all move over to the far lane if they are not blocked from it by another vehicle.  If I don't wave, they usually don't change lanes, or just barely move over.  FYI, I am not in the lane on 271, it has a full width shoulder with a loud rumble strip, so I ride on the paved shoulder.  I can hear if a vehicle crosses the rumble strip from quite a ways in back of me.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7510 - Jul 19th, 2017, 6:46pm

I don't mind sweatin', don't like cookin'  I've fallin' to the pleasures of indoor sickin'.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #7511 - Jul 20th, 2017, 11:47am

Broke the hearts of the PBA "A" group ..  leaving them on 3 different occasions and then waiting to let them regroup ...  Now granted its a mostly flat route .. but they would have just as easily dropped me  -- given the chance.

Finished Cycle: Jul 19, 2017, 19:55:30
Route: PBA ABcd
Explorer Link: http://cyclemeter.com/92fe1c16190338f3/Cycle-20170719-1740
Import Link: http://share.abvio.com/92fe1c16190338f3/Cyclemeter-Cycle-20170719-1740.kml
Ride Time: 1:28:59
Stopped Time: 45:19
Distance: 30.15 miles
Average: 20.33 mph
Fastest Speed: 41.34 mph
Ahead of Best Ride: 2:35
Ascent: 330 feet
Descent: 330 feet
Calories: 1527

http://www.cyclemeter.com

And the video https://youtu.be/6b2BohyBR_E

Strava has blocked my velomobile rides; this is roadbike
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7512 - Jul 20th, 2017, 1:54pm

No one at Barbec's this morning, as it was closed.  I went down to the lake.  As I was preparing myself, Daniel rolled in, then as I got my bike out, Larry pedaled in.  Anon we headed out for a lap, got back, and chatted with John and Jim, then Bob W. and Butch showed up.  We three took off for another lap, and Larry went to fix boats.  Daniel and I did two more laps, but I was feeling the lack of nourishment, and was glad to get done with 42 miles. I ate with Kenny and Bob and cme home.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, another

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV ad.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7513 - Jul 20th, 2017, 4:56pm

Quote from rmillay on Jul 20th, 2017, 1:54pm:
No one at Barbec's this morning, as it was closed.  I went down to the lake.  As I was preparing myself, Daniel rolled in, then as I got my bike out, Larry pedaled in.  Anon we headed out for a lap, got back, and chatted with John and Jim, then Bob W. and Butch showed up.  We three took off for another lap, and Larry went to fix boats.  Daniel and I did two more laps, but I was feeling the lack of nourishment, and was glad to get done with 42 miles. I ate with Kenny and Bob and cme home.

So, I pull up a little early in the Barbec's parking lot. Kenny J is there in his van, but none of the other regulars' vehicles are present. Kenny and I go in the restaurant to find it vacant with all the chairs on the tables. As we exit, we see a City of Dallas Code Compliance sign on the door advising that the restaurant is closed. Not again! What's the problem? None of us have ever gotten sick, after eating there.  Smiley. While we are still in the parking lot, Meta Ken and Daniel S roll up on their recumbents and get the bad news. Kenny, Meta Ken, and I eventually wind up down the street at a new Chick Filet, where I consumed about a 620 calorie breakfast (didn't even have to eat lunch, later).  

Later at Sunset Bay, counted vehicles in the Sunset Bay parking lot and determined there were a total of 10 riders present. Kenny, Meta Ken and I never saw some of them, while we were doing a couple of laps and taking breaks at Sunset Bay. Afterwards, only Meta Ken and I were game for riding up the White Rock Creek Trail (Ken had to, because his car was parked near IH 635). I rode to the end of the trail and returned via the long route to Sunset Bay, where I discovered I was the only Clown left at the lake at 1:20 in the afternoon. After getting in a hot 47 miles, rewarded myself with a vanilla frozen yogurt cone at TCBY.

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2017, 4:59pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Sweeper

rbent member

Reply #7514 - Jul 20th, 2017, 6:19pm

CAN NOT believe that I rode more miles today then Jay or Bob M.  lol

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2017, 6:21pm by Sweeper »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 501 502 503 ... 514
Send Topic Print