Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:07pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 195649 times)
duncanjames

rbent member

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #45 - Nov 6th, 2008, 9:06pm

Hi all,

I am Duncan, I joined your forum to read about your performance in the Texas TT.  BTW - congratulations!  I live in Seattle, WA and so probably won't see many of you on a ride soon but you never know.  I am 39.  I ride recumbents because of back pain, butt pain, and hand numbness when I ride a diamond frame for 50+ miles.  No issues so far on my bent.  I ride a Rans Vivo, a TT Tour trike and a Corsa (being picked up tomorrow).

I love your forum, it looks like a great group of people.

Here I am test riding a corsa

Email   IP Logged
season

rbent member

Reply #46 - Jan 9th, 2009, 5:22pm

Help!  Howdy, I've never ridden a bent.  The doctor tells me it's my best option.  Where do I start?  I'm 49 and haven't been an active rider for about 20 years.  Where do I go to learn about bents?  I live in North Dallas.  I'll be going to the Richardson Bike Mart Saturday morning to take a test ride.  I don't want to buy without learning something about them first.

Sam

Sam
Email   IP Logged
brry_wood

rbent member

Reply #47 - Jan 9th, 2009, 6:03pm

You can also go to planocycling 605e 18th street thats where I got my rans. There are many choices. Long wheel base short wheel base trikes. test riding as many as you can get your hands on would be your best bet.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #48 - Jan 10th, 2009, 5:03pm

Quote from season on Jan 9th, 2009, 5:22pm:
Help!  Howdy, I've never ridden a bent.  The doctor tells me it's my best option.  Where do I start?  I'm 49 and haven't been an active rider for about 20 years.  Where do I go to learn about bents?  I live in North Dallas.  I'll be going to the Richardson Bike Mart Saturday morning to take a test ride.  I don't want to buy without learning something about them first.

Sam

You're in the right place to ask questions...  Recumbents come in such a variety of designs, it can be difficult to make ANY decision, much less the 'right" one.  But in the end, test riding is a very important factor, because theory only goes so far.

Read these -- there is some redundancy, but you'll get an excellent overview of "recumbency":  (hey, I made a rhyme!   Cheesy )

http://www.angletechcycles.com/why_a_recumbent.htm

http://www.bentrideronline.com/bentfaq.html

Long wheelbase or short wheelbase is often decided by how you are able to both store and transport your bike.  ALL of them will be comfortable - the rest is up to your wallet!  Post questions in a different section of this forum, so they don't get lost in the "introduce yourself" section...  We have members across the DFW area and outside it as well, but several of us are in the NDallas area.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #49 - Jan 10th, 2009, 7:04pm

Hi,

An interesting site to learn about recumbents and see a lot of bikes is www.bicycleman.com.  I think the three largest shops in this area are Richardson Bike Mart, Plano Cycling & Fitness, and Bicycles, Inc.  Please ask a lot of questions and go back and review the topics for the past six months.

Tim

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #50 - Jan 10th, 2009, 10:54pm

Depending on what you are looking for you might also look on craigslist.  There are several bents for sale there currently including my old Cycle Genius which has changed hands several times. It appears that the owner after the owner I sold it to is now selling it.  It's a decent bike for the price.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2009, 10:55pm by irodguy »  

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
Magma

future trike owner

!
Reply #51 - Jan 17th, 2009, 9:12am

Greetings all!  I am a soon to be owner of either a Catrike Trail or Road.  I am not sure which one I will get, a lot will depend on how much of the stuff I have for sale ia bought Cool.

My name is Shawn and I am almost 31.  I have a DF, but never ride it because it is not comfortable.  It was given to me and I think the frame is too large.  I decided that for the comfort and cool factor to look at the bent trikes.  I have just quit smoking(10 days) and need to loose a few pounds, but most of all want the conditioning I had many years ago.  

I have a few car club friends that are avid cyclist and commuters, and seeing what they have accomplished through cycling is inspiring. Now, once the trike is home  all I have to do is see if I can haul it in the Miata Shocked.

Hope to meet some of you around town or at the LBS.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #52 - Jan 17th, 2009, 11:05am

Hey Shawn!  congrats on the new trike.  I've not ridden the trail but I know the road to be a solid trike.  Welcome!  What part of the metroplex do you hail from?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Magma

future trike owner

Reply #53 - Jan 17th, 2009, 7:41pm

Thanks for the welcome.  I hail from Carrollton, and have a line on a used Road for a good price.  Hopefully I will get it and not have to try spending all my extra money upgrading the few things that I want on the road that are not available on the trail.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #54 - Jan 18th, 2009, 7:16pm

One of the guys in this club has a Road that he is probably looking to sell.  Contact catroad254@yahoo.com, and ask for Ken, he lives in Frisco!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Magma

future trike owner

Reply #55 - Jan 18th, 2009, 7:31pm

Thanks for the heads up, The one I am looking at was traded in at RBM in Frisco, so it might be the same one.  I will contact him none the less.

Email   IP Logged
Magma

future trike owner

Reply #56 - Jan 20th, 2009, 8:57am

Smiley Smiley Smiley  Well I picked up a New-to-me Catrike Raod last night.  Got the lights on and went for a little ride around the neighborhood.  Had a blast.  I cannot wait till the engine on the bike is suited to joining some of you at WRL or on other rides.

Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #57 - Jan 20th, 2009, 10:29am

Quote from Magma on Jan 20th, 2009, 8:57am:
Smiley Smiley Smiley  Well I picked up a New-to-me Catrike Raod last night.  Got the lights on and went for a little ride around the neighborhood.  Had a blast.  I cannot wait till the engine on the bike is suited to joining some of you at WRL or on other rides.

You might want to invest in a Dinotte Tail flasher or two.  These are highly visible even during daylight.  http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&St oreType=BtoC&Count1=809246242&Count2=726386666&ProductID=5&Target=products.asp.   I use one on my bikes and use two on the trike, one on either side.  

Have fun with the Trike!

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #58 - Feb 10th, 2009, 2:38pm

Hello everyone!  Paul told me to get over onto the rbent site, so I figured this was a good place to start....

Many of you know me with my diamond frame, but I am happy to be making the conversion to the recumbent.  Thank you to everyone who has sent advice and encouragement.  I can't wait until I can keep up with y'all!

For those of you who don't know me, I love distance riding. 24 hrs on the bike is one of my favorite things, so that is my goal for this year.  One 24 hr race with as much distance as my body will allow.  Needless to say, that is a long way off, but it is good to have a goal.  

I can see that I have a ton of reading to do to learn who everyone is....May you all be safe and have some great rides, hopefully I'll be seing you out there.
Shellene

IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #59 - Feb 10th, 2009, 3:05pm

Quote from shellenefoster on Feb 10th, 2009, 2:38pm:
Hello everyone!  Paul told me to get over onto the rbent site, so I figured this was a good place to start....

Many of you know me with my diamond frame, but I am happy to be making the conversion to the recumbent.  Thank you to everyone who has sent advice and encouragement.  I can't wait until I can keep up with y'all!

For those of you who don't know me, I love distance riding. 24 hrs on the bike is one of my favorite things, so that is my goal for this year.  One 24 hr race with as much distance as my body will allow.  Needless to say, that is a long way off, but it is good to have a goal.

I can see that I have a ton of reading to do to learn who everyone is....May you all be safe and have some great rides, hopefully I'll be seing you out there.
Shellene

Shellene , welcome to the rbent group. I think you will find this an enlightening & entertaining resource for various recumbent & general cycling topics.  You & Bryan looked looked like naturals the day Greg & I ran into you you guys on the "pop" in Wylie.  

The Corsa SS crew in growing. Team Mellow Yellow.

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Send Topic Print