Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:08pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 197339 times)
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #360 - Jul 23rd, 2015, 4:57pm

Quote from JasonMartin on Jul 23rd, 2015, 4:04pm:
Hey guys, thanks. I will come to Barbecs tonight to meet n greet. Might even bring the trike in the trunk. Looking forward to it. Now then, where in the heck IS barbec's?

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.  The Clowns meet at Barbec's in the mornings so unless I'm on vacation, I don't ride with them.  If you're retired, then have a lot of fun with them on Tues. and Thurs. morning.  They're a great group.  The rest of us "benters" hopefully will see you on some weekend rides.

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #361 - Jul 23rd, 2015, 5:41pm

Guess I should have put a 0 in front of the 8:00--sorry!  Yes, we meet in the morning and ride when it's nice and warm.  Barbec's is at 8949 Garland Rd., a little North of the arboretum, and not far South of Richardson BikeMart's Garland Road store.  We like guest visitors.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
JasonMartin

rbent member

Reply #362 - Jul 23rd, 2015, 5:52pm

Awww maaan! !! Yeah, the post said 8 pm,  so I already had the trike in the trunk. Oh well, next week then...

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #363 - Jul 23rd, 2015, 6:04pm

Quote from diannalightning on Jul 23rd, 2015, 4:57pm:
Quote from JasonMartin on Jul 23rd, 2015, 4:04pm:
Hey guys, thanks. I will come to Barbecs tonight to meet n greet. Might even bring the trike in the trunk. Looking forward to it. Now then, where in the heck IS barbec's?

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.  The Clowns meet at Barbec's in the mornings so unless I'm on vacation, I don't ride with them.  If you're retired, then have a lot of fun with them on Tues. and Thurs. morning.  They're a great group.  The rest of us "benters" hopefully will see you on some weekend rides.

Our Summer schedule is to arrive at Barbec's earlier than 8:00 AM, then order breakfast at 8:00. After breakfast, we drive (some may ride their bikes or trikes) to WRL's Sunset Bay parking lot. We're usually ready to ride somewhere between 8:45 and 9:00.  

If you ride at WRL in the late afternoons, you may run across several RBENTers.

Come join us this Saturday (Jul 25) on the Richardson Bike Mart recumbent ride. There will be a number of us RBENTers in attendance, with the majority probably riding trikes. The ride starts at 8:30 AM in front of the RBM Richardson, TX shop at 1451 West Campbell Road (located in shopping center South of Campbell). Ride distances will be 10, 20, and 30 miles.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2015, 6:06pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Parachristo

rbent member

Reply #364 - Sep 15th, 2015, 5:00pm

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!

I go by Parachristo and I found you guys in a most interesting way!!!

A couple of years ago my wife came home and told me that she wasn't happy. She wanted to drastically change life. Her boss at her work place recently went out and rode 40 miles in some bicycle rally and she wanted to do this kind of stuff too. (wiping sweat from my brow) I asked her "what do you mean." she said "I want to get back into riding bicycles." All I could think of is a fat guy in spandex riding some silly bike.... I gave her time to talk and wisely refrained from making any comments. i honestly thought that this would all jus blow over. Boy was I wrong!!!  

Next thing I know we are at Richardson Bike Mart purchasing two new bicycles. A year and one major life style switch later and we were collectively 185 lbs lighter (120 for my wife and 65 for me). I looked up to discover that I am an avid cyclist!!!

The one major detriment to my new found hobby was winter. I grew up in a much colder climate than Texas and so i can't take the cold as well as many other people. My hands and feet go totally numb with out feeling very rapidly and take an act of congress to warm back up. So I have trying to figure out a way to ride in the winter. I eventually discovered Velomobiles. Even tho i have never seen one in person I decided to start building one anyways.

My part time job, working for Performance Bicycle in Plano, had me helping to lead the beginner ride this past saturday. We were taking a break at the gazebo when I look up and spot a group of recumbents riding by. One of them was Mr. Wizard in his Sinner Mango. I FREAKED!!!! jumping on my Cervelo I left my group and sprinted to catch up. Eventually catching him just before Country Club. We talked briefly and he hooked me up with this page.  

I am extremely excited about my little Velo that i am building and would really love to on rides with you guys. I am currently using Atomic Zombies plans and designing my own velo body to go around it. Here are some pictures

My Trike

The designs for my Velo

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #365 - Sep 15th, 2015, 5:19pm

The plan's a beaut!  Welcome to the club!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #366 - Sep 15th, 2015, 6:20pm

Welcome to the Forum. I too have a problem with my hands and feet, during cold weather. Have been wearing heated gloves from Cozy Winters (http://cozywinters.com/heated-gloves.html) and Hothands toe warmers (http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-HOTHANDS-TOE-WARMERS-2PK-KEEP-TOES-WARM-8-HRS-TOSTIE- TOES-HEATMAX-/271662588715?hash=item3f405a232b) and shoe covers. Thinking about replacing my old Cozy Winters gloves with their glove liners, plus extra batteries.

Like your aircraft-inspired velo design. Would have been appropriate for our Saturday-before-last's Lancaster Air Show ride. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #367 - Sep 15th, 2015, 6:32pm

I also have Raynaud's, and really struggle to keep feeling in my hands and feet in the winter. I use chemical hand warmers in my gloves and socks, ride a bike with a fairing, and keep my rides shorter in the winter.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #368 - Sep 15th, 2015, 7:22pm

That will be one awesome machine when finished, can't wait to see the pics.

Welcome to the forum and a new way of life.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #369 - Sep 15th, 2015, 9:26pm

Hi - Again.

Glad you found us ..    Performance isn't too far from me and I'm out in the mango a lot in the evenings if you want to catch up some day with more time its easy enough to do.      You should definitely check out the "official" RBENT ride which happens the 4th Saturday of the month starting from RBM ..     Since the weathers cooling off, more of us might show up ..   A lot of us also do the PBA/GDB east side ride Saturday mornings too - -thats what you caught up with.  I'm planning on doing the Cottonpatch classic payride on saturday unless I get home late friday from work.    I'll also be at the PBA ABCD rides most wednesdays

In regards to winter riding ..  gloves with finger covers,  shoe covers, a chest-vest and shell etc.   ..  Winter in a velo is still cold .. especially when you start out  ..  A insulated water-bottle of hot chocolate for the first few miles was one of my tricks for winter riding to stay warm until my body warmed up enough to maintain its own heat ..  

Your velo pattern looks pretty awesome ..  Can't wait to see it out on the road!

Email   IP Logged
Parachristo

rbent member

Reply #370 - Sep 16th, 2015, 11:33am

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!

I absolutely want to hook up with you guys and do some rides! Cycling is my passion. It is actually great to feel like I am an athlete again!!! Every time I get on my bike I realize that I am adding life to my years.  

Thanx for the compliments to my design. I have been woking my bootie off on trying to keep it Aero and gorgeous as well. I am a HUGE airplane buff and so I knew from the onset the direction that I wanted to take my Velo.

Here is a picture of the original design that I have abandoned (for now)....

I do have a question for you guys... I need some help. I am not completely happy with my current trike frame. It is a little to flexy for my taste. I really love a fast stiff frame that is as light weight as possible (like my Cervelo). The frame that I built is made from 1 1/8" 4130 ChromMoly. I have been thinking about switching to thin wall square ChromMoly tubing (for stiffness and light weight) I just don't know about what size would be the best for a trike. Atomic Zombie builds his trike with 1 1/2 1020 mild steel... but mild steel is REALLY heavy!!!

What would you guys suggest for a fast light weight stiff frame???

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #371 - Sep 16th, 2015, 10:03pm

Quote from Parachristo on Sep 16th, 2015, 11:33am:

What would you guys suggest for a fast light weight stiff frame???

In order --  
Carbon Fiber
Titanium - this is what the high speed streamliners use for sub-frames.  
Aluminum - double butted square tubes  (this is what mango's, stradas and quests use)  
4130 chromoly, what catrikes and others are made of  Reynolds #s  531, 631, 725 or 853 which is used to describe the particular blend.   http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/1.htm is a good source of double butted tubes, blades and stuff already made up for you to build frames off of.  

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #372 - Sep 17th, 2015, 5:34am

Would it be possible to put a gussett at the joint where the rear section mates with the front section?  Something like is used on some of the S-framed bikes...

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
TadpolePilot

rbent member

Reply #373 - Oct 3rd, 2015, 7:54pm

Bud, Thanks for letting me join the group.
I am Tadpole Pilot and I ride a Catrike Speed CS 1103 Orange in color and New in 2011.
I am 74 years old; Can't hear, walk with a walker but ride;  My Recumbent like a Bat going to a feast after a long nights sleep!
Just installed Ceramic hybird bearings in the two front 16" wheels  and in the bottom bracket.
Ceramics are going to help me keep up: I hope. ;D ;D ;D
Paid $128 for the parts. Labor was $78.00  so spent $ 208.00.
I can tell the difference.
The pros who install hybirds on their race bike do know so I just followed them down the path! [smiley=cheers.gif] [smiley=cheers.gif]
If any one wants any information I will be happy to supply details.
Rolling along till the end of the road
steve
TadpolePilot@outlook.com
210 852 3134[font=Sans-Serif]

[/font]

Just rolling along until the end of my road...
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #374 - Oct 3rd, 2015, 9:01pm

Quote from TadpolePilot on Oct 3rd, 2015, 7:54pm:
Bud, Thanks for letting me join the group.
I am Tadpole Pilot and I ride a Catrike Speed CS 1103 Orange in color and New in 2011.
I am 74 years old; Can't hear, walk with a walker but ride;  My Recumbent like a Bat going to a feast after a long nights sleep!
Just installed Ceramic hybird bearings in the two front 16" wheels  and in the bottom bracket.
Ceramics are going to help me keep up: I hope. ;D ;D ;D
Paid $128 for the parts. Labor was $78.00  so spent $ 208.00.
I can tell the difference.
The pros who install hybirds on their race bike do know so I just followed them down the path! [smiley=cheers.gif] [smiley=cheers.gif]
If any one wants any information I will be happy to supply details.
Rolling along till the end of the road
steve
TadpolePilot@outlook.com
210 852 3134[font=Sans-Serif]

[/font]

Welcome, Tadpole Pilot!
You've got wings to fly.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28
Send Topic Print