Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:31am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 195659 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #300 - May 8th, 2014, 10:36pm

Hey, Chris!
I am in the 700 club as well.  I work for a school system, so during the summers I am at White Rock Lake with the rest of the guys.  Come on down, you'll love it!  How's the riding up there?  If there are smooth (non-chipseal) roads, perhaps I can come up to ride your routes.  You come here, or we go up there, either way...let's RIDE!

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Ldoc1234

rbent member

Reply #301 - May 25th, 2014, 4:40pm

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to the site and compared to you all a newbie on a trike, having only been on one for under a year.  My name is Lawrie Friedman [ sorry guys I am not a girl- in South Africa where I was born Lawrie is an abbreviation for Lawrence] and am a Doctor in Richardson.
Having blown out my knee in Tennis exactly 2 years ago, I decided to try cycling in August 2012, and borrowed my Iron Man son's tribike and started riding round the neighborhood. Later bought a road bike and in April 2013 got hit by a car from behind and dislocated my shoulder and tore up all the attachments and was told not to fall again!
So, in June bought a catrike 700 from RBM. Best move ever!! Close to the ground so not far to fall and no unclipping . Just love it. Have done Hotter than Hell 100 k 2013, Munster 2014, MS 150 Dallas 2014 , Wild Ride 2014 and Ride of Silence last week. Usually ride RMB rides Saturday am and White Rock Sunday am and occasionally a weekday evening as well at White Rock lake..
Met Shellbear on the second day of MS 150, rode with me approx last 30 miles.What a nice lady. She suggested I join the forum so here I am. Planning on Hotter Than Hell 2014 maybe 100 mile.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #302 - May 25th, 2014, 5:55pm

Quote from Ldoc1234 on May 25th, 2014, 4:40pm:
Hi everyone, I am a newbie to the site and compared to you all a newbie on a trike, having only been on one for under a year.  My name is Lawrie Friedman [ sorry guys I am not a girl- in South Africa where I was born Lawrie is an abbreviation for Lawrence] and am a Doctor in Richardson.
Having blown out my knee in Tennis exactly 2 years ago, I decided to try cycling in August 2012, and borrowed my Iron Man son's tribike and started riding round the neighborhood. Later bought a road bike and in April 2013 got hit by a car from behind and dislocated my shoulder and tore up all the attachments and was told not to fall again!
So, in June bought a catrike 700 from RBM. Best move ever!! Close to the ground so not far to fall and no unclipping . Just love it. Have done Hotter than Hell 100 k 2013, Munster 2014, MS 150 Dallas 2014 , Wild Ride 2014 and Ride of Silence last week. Usually ride RMB rides Saturday am and White Rock Sunday am and occasionally a weekday evening as well at White Rock lake..
Met Shellbear on the second day of MS 150, rode with me approx last 30 miles.What a nice lady. She suggested I join the forum so here I am. Planning on Hotter Than Hell 2014 maybe 100 mile.

Welcome to the Forum. I've seen you on your trike in front of RBM and on Renner Rd., riding with another group, when I've participated in monthly RBM recumbent rides. Also, was riding close to you between the start and Rest Stop No. 1 on Wild Ride. Finally passed you, but it wasn't easy. You can make that 700 fly.  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2014, 5:57pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #303 - May 25th, 2014, 7:41pm

Welcome to the forum, its always refreshing to see the bent family growing in the metroplex.  sounds like your have a wealth of experience behind you and enjoy the 700.  I took a test ride on one today and now understand why everyone is going cray over these things.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #304 - May 25th, 2014, 9:18pm

Welcome, Sir Lawrence...   Smiley  Sorry to hear about your car incident, but good choice on the trike!  Several of us do the Hotter 'n Hell, and it's always interesting seeing a trike in the mix of 15,000 of your closest riding friends....

Look into joining the Barbec's gang for breakfast and riding on Tuesdays/Thursdays....  Several of us are also involved with the Greater Dallas Bicyclists club, at www.greaterdallasbicyclists.com

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Ldoc1234

rbent member

Reply #305 - May 25th, 2014, 11:46pm

Can you tell me more about ' Barbec's gang for breakfast and riding on Tuesdays/Thursdays' ?

Email   IP Logged
brian_d

rbent member

Reply #306 - May 27th, 2014, 12:58am

Hi yall, Brian here.  Some of you have met me at the monthly RBM bent rides. Got my Catrike EXP in the summer of 2012 and have just reached 600 miles. I was not born with the athlete gene, but I still try to hang around with those who were. I turned 40 a couple of years ago while doing chemo to banish my testicular cancer and shortly thereafter realized I could never be the same couch tater again. I joined the Livestrong program at the YMCA and made a commitment to myself to get back into shape and stay active. After seeing a 'strange' looking trike with a wing covered with lights (Action Lad?) I started to learn about bents and trikes. I would often spend my lunch hour walking part of White Rock Trail near LBJ and see more bents. So I went to visit Joel at RBM and tried some trikes for myself. I've always owned a bike or two, but a trike was definitely a new kind of fun! I just completed my first 40+ miler in an organized ride at the Bosque Tour de Norway and checked off my first goal. Now I'd like to get a little faster and try for a little longer distance ride. Hopefully, I'll meet more of you folks and get some names and faces figured out.

Catrike Expedition
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #307 - May 27th, 2014, 5:44pm

Quote from brian_d on May 27th, 2014, 12:58am:
Hi yall, Brian here.  Some of you have met me at the monthly RBM bent rides. Got my Catrike EXP in the summer of 2012 and have just reached 600 miles. I was not born with the athlete gene, but I still try to hang around with those who were. I turned 40 a couple of years ago while doing chemo to banish my testicular cancer and shortly thereafter realized I could never be the same couch tater again. I joined the Livestrong program at the YMCA and made a commitment to myself to get back into shape and stay active. After seeing a 'strange' looking trike with a wing covered with lights (Action Lad?) I started to learn about bents and trikes. I would often spend my lunch hour walking part of White Rock Trail near LBJ and see more bents. So I went to visit Joel at RBM and tried some trikes for myself. I've always owned a bike or two, but a trike was definitely a new kind of fun! I just completed my first 40+ miler in an organized ride at the Bosque Tour de Norway and checked off my first goal. Now I'd like to get a little faster and try for a little longer distance ride. Hopefully, I'll meet more of you folks and get some names and faces figured out.

Brian, enjoyed riding with you on last month's RBM recumbent ride. Hope you will be able to make this month's ride, this Saturday. Those recumbent riders you used to see on the White Rock Trail, near LBJ Fwy, were a contingent of the Clowns riding to Anderson Bonner Park, where two of our riders' vehicles were parked. Sometime, when you have a Tuesday or Thursday off, come eat breakfast at Barbec's with the Clowns and ride with us at White Rock Lake. We currently order breakfast at 8:00 AM and start riding at WRL's Sunset Bay about 9:00. We ride in three separate groups. Average speed for first group is 10 - 11 mph; second is 13 - 14.5 mph; and third is 15.5 - 16.5 mph. The longest distance we usually ride is a little over 43 miles (Four lake laps). If some of us ride up the White Rock Trail and back, the total distance is somewhat longer.

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2014, 5:50pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #308 - May 31st, 2014, 3:25pm

Quote from brian_d on May 27th, 2014, 12:58am:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/bdillaman/Tn4_2274_zps155b3131.jpg
Welcome to the dark side of cycling, where all the enlightenment is!  
I did, indeed, have that winged 700.  It was one of three test structures made of PVC for the purpose of holding lights, and cameras for commuting, and regular nightly riding mainly.  They have all broken, which actually was the goal.  I wanted to see where all the stresses were.  When funding gets itself together, I will have an aluminum one.
I hope to see you on a Tuesday or Thursday, with the Clowns at WRL.  
Congratulations on your 600th!   Smiley

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #309 - May 31st, 2014, 3:39pm

Welcome to the life, Lawrie!  Good on ya, owning a 700.  I do too.  Let's ride sometime!

IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #310 - Jun 1st, 2014, 9:58pm

Welcome!  I hope you find lots of helpful info and make some new friends on the forum.  Smiley  Great group of folks here.

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #311 - Jun 4th, 2014, 9:38am

That Tour De Norway has got some tough climbs, for sure...  good on ya for doing it!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
dchoch

rbent member

Reply #312 - Aug 28th, 2014, 10:51am

I'm Denise Chochrek and I've been riding a number of years but just started riding my recumbent trike last year.  I was on a tandem before that.  I love my trike (except up hill) but I am incredibly slow.  Maybe once I build up some leg muscles I'll be able to ride with the group.  I did some of Bike MS last May and really loved the new bike.  So glad there are other low flying people.   Winkhttp://rbentonline.org/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2014, 11:06am by dchoch »  
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #313 - Aug 29th, 2014, 10:04am

Welcome, Denise!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #314 - Aug 29th, 2014, 10:12am

Hi Denise!  There are lots of trike riders here.  Some fast, some slow, some in between.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28
Send Topic Print