Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:07pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 197344 times)
Don

rbent member

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #30 - Sep 21st, 2008, 3:48pm

Hi Guys, My name is Mike..........Kidding, its Don : )

I started reading the site 2 days ago and have really enjoyed all the tales of travel i have read about so far.  

Im 44 years old and am disabled with something called Ankylosing spondylitis. I have had 5 lower back surgeries and my neck is fused so that i have no head movement up down right or left.  Basiclly my chin is almost touching my chest so i cant see in front of me unless i am in a reclined position.  

I havent been able to look up and see the moon so long i dont even remember what it feels like to see the night sky. I used to train hunting dogs and walk all the time.  I have ruffly been a homebody since that time.  I am pushing 200 pounds now and my old 5 foot 9 inch frame is now ruffly 5 foot 2 on a good day and less on a bad day. I have tryed everything to get and keep some type of exersize program. I havent been able to do most for any period of time but i believe this bike is for me and designed for me........i see some hope.

I live in North east Texas, about 5 miles outside a small town called Quitman so i will be riding mostly blacktop roades in the county. Like many of you guys i am on a fixed income that ironicly keeps you broke : )

I started doing research on the recumbent bikes a few months ago, Utube and Ebay were my research tools. many of the bikes cast more than i make in 2 months so its taken me a while to find one i could get that might fit.  My search started with me looking for a used trike and i almost got one till i called a bicycle shop from the internet and told them my condition and what i was thinking about....the trink i was looking at only had one speed and the bike shop owner told me to stay away from anything with a single speed. but at that time he didnt have anything i could afford especialy in a trike.

I kept looking.  I liked the lwb recumbents but honestly didnt think i could ride them from the pictures i had seen. The over the handle bar peddling scares me as i didnt think i could ride one and still have my doubts.  Heck i cant even walk a quarter mile right now with out feeling like someone is trying to rip the lungs from my chest and tear my head off my shoulders.

Eventualy i saw a picture of a sun EZ1 bike and started calling different bike shops. I told them i needed something i could ride and explained my situation as best i could.  The bike shop owners all suggested i try one first but assured me that i could ride the bike and it would support my back with me leaned back so i could see in front of me. I slept and dreamed about riding and feeling fresh air on my face. I started doing the math as to what i could put together cash wise to get one of these bike and started making calls. Friday i ordered a used (1 year old) Sun EZ1 SX They said it would ship Monday.

I havent riden a bike since 1978 so this should be very fun. My hope is that this bike will last me as one day i would like to be able to ride with others on some of those trail things you do.

Sorry for the long post and for those to suffered through it, thanks for reading
Don

Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #31 - Sep 21st, 2008, 5:38pm

"Suffered"?? I don't think so. That was one of the more inspiring posts I've read in ages.

Here's hoping that the recumbent works out for you.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #32 - Sep 21st, 2008, 5:44pm

Don:  Welcome to the forum.  Hope the recumbent effort will work out for you - I bet it will!  It always gives me a charge to read about the hardship some of you guys go thru but prevail anyway.  Keeps my problems with cramping in the proper perspective.  Hang in there!  Hope we'll get a chance to meet soon.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #33 - Sep 21st, 2008, 8:55pm

great first post, Don.  Welcome!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #34 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:53am

Good to hear from you Don, you know what Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge , no not that one,  this one, "Adapt, improvise, overcome!"  If you ride a low racer, you will be able to see the moon. We have several in the group with back problems. Seems like many who ride recumbents have an issue of one sort or the other. Hang in there, we are rooting for you. See you down the road.

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #35 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:25pm

Thanks guys for the warm welcome : )

I called the place that was shipping my bike today, its a place in colorado.  The owner of the store wasnt in yet but i asked the woman on the phone what color the bike was so i could picture it in my head. She said a greyish color and that on the side it said. EZ-1 SC Lite.  

I thought i would be getting an EZ-1 SX. I guess i will see it when it shows up. i am thinking if it is the lite one it will be better as i have been reading and weight is an issue on hills.

thanks again,

Don

Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #36 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 7:58pm

Welcome to the boards Don!  This place in Colorado you mention, would it happen to be Angletech?  IF it is, you've done well in choosing to purchase from Kelvin.  I've gotten my last two bikes from there and they have been great.  See you on the road sometime!  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #37 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 9:09pm

The differences in weight between models of EZ1s don't make any signficant difference, really.  It really is the easiest 'bent to learn to ride, although the steering is a bit twitchy with the 16" front wheel.  Additionally, the 20" rear wheel simply doesn't hold the rolling speed like a 26" one does -- but hey, it still rolls you down the road!  You may still find that a trike like an EZ3 is your best bet, if I understand your neck movement restrictions.  Be sure to get a mirror (handlebar or helmet mounted) to stay aware of what's coming up behind you!

Regardless, welcome to the group, and best wishes for enjoyable riding!

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2008, 9:13pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #38 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 8:21am

Hi Guys,

The place in Colorado i was talking about is called The Fly Bike Shop. I was suppose to get an email from then yesterday as to the shipping information but no word yet. Basicly i had 450 to work with not a large ammount to most but it is all i could put together so i had to look till i could find something.

Mirrors, I know it will have one on the handlebars and possibly 2 (one on each side) I have Zero neck or head movement to the right or left/up or down so mirrors are a must.    

I couldnt een sleep last night cause i was up thinking about riding and what all type of gear im going to need to get to carry on the bike.  So far from reading this board i know i need to get 2 bike tubes some patches, a bike pump and tools to take the rims off the bike and the tires off the rims or atleast one side of te tire needs to be freed. Also i will need a chain master link. water bottle and a older and then something to carry all this stuff : )

Just wanting to be ready for what ever as i tend to over due stuff so i might be 15 or 20 miles down the road on what ever ups delivers. Yeah, im kinda excited / nervous : )

Thanks again guys.

Don

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #39 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 9:21am

Don, the main reason I stress an EZ3 trike is for the elimination of any real balance issues, as well as the ability to immediately use a "clipless pedal" attachment system to improve your pedaling power transfer (and to prevent trike "leg suck").  I have a difficult time imagining riding a two-wheel bike with minimal neck movement ability, but best wishes -- you've at least got the right one to attempt it with!

Sign up for a "level 1 maintenance" course at a local bike shop like RBM or Plano -- they're around $25.  It's priceless information on how to be reasonably self-sufficient for tire changes, etc. -- because flats happen.

Don

rbent member

Reply #40 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 3:47pm

The trike was actualy the first thing i started looking for , just they are hard to find , heck its hard to find a used bent at a price that i can afford : )   Balance issues i dont really worrie to much about, i still have my balance except for possible falling forward do to the way my body is now. side to side i am fine.

I dont drive much, honestly i only leave the house maybe once or twice a month to go to town for food, other than that i am home. I dont like driving in heavy traffic because i cant turn my head so i stay away from any citys unless i absoutly have to, and then my wife will usualy drive me (She hates city driving too)

Changing tires on a bike wont be a problem for me I havent always been this way and have changed them before. Heck when cars wernt all computerized i did all my own car work, including changine motors and tranny. Bicycle tire tube should be doable : )

If i had the torch and equipmant i would have just made me one, these folks in colorado are taking to long to get that thing in a ups truck hehe

I did drive around on our roads today to see what routs would be good for me to start out on, i found 3 ways i can start.

A 1 mile trip with a mild hill at the end = 2 miles round trip

A 3 mile trip with 2 decent hills in it that might be hard for me (Not sure till i try) = 6 miles

A 5 mile block that is fairly level except One Monster hill that is maybe a quarte rmile to the top = 10 miles

I am thinking those will be my first routes taking the easiest ones first till i understand the gears of the bike and have gotten my legs and Lungs built up.

I think that i can make a 20+ mile trip around the block on all black top road with not to much traffic, that ride has lots very hilly area some i am certain i would have to walk the bike up for a while, but i eally dont understand the gearing of these type bikes so maybe i am wrong about that. Time and practice will tell : )

Thanks for reading,
Don

Email   IP Logged
slowpoke

rbent member

Reply #41 - Oct 3rd, 2008, 7:51pm

My name is Andy Floyd I work for Mesquite I.S.D.  I have been riding for 8 years. I started riding to teach the cycling merit badge for my sons scout troop using a Wal-mart single speed bike. I moved up to a Trek 7200 and then to a speedmachine. I ride to work everyday rain or shine I sold my truck 3 years ago so the bike is my car. We do have one famliy car and my son has one at college but I like the bike better.  My wife ordered a Corsa S/S for me that should be in about four weeks. I am a member of GDB and have riden in the TT but my time does not come close to Paul's time, my best is 19.09.

Andy
Speedmachine
2008 Corsa S/S
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Oct 3rd, 2008, 8:12pm

19.09  and your hand name is slowpoke! WoW! I welcome you to thr RBENT Club. Smiley

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #43 - Oct 3rd, 2008, 8:30pm

Welcome, Andy!!!  Was hoping you're show up...  haven't seen you for a while -- and your 19:09 was better than anything I ever did on the SXP!!!

Just a note, the GDB time trials have moved to the third SUNDAY of the month for the fall/winter, as part of the Sunday 2PM ride...

Paul

slowpoke

rbent member

Reply #44 - Oct 3rd, 2008, 8:39pm

I will have to wait until spring I don't ride on sundays

Andy
Speedmachine
2008 Corsa S/S