Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 23rd, 2024, 5:59am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 197658 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #285 - Dec 26th, 2013, 9:09am

Welcome, Jim --
   As you enjoy long-distance riding, look into the Lone Star Randonneurs group -- they do 200/300/400K and more, sometimes out west of Ft Worth...  Nothing wrong with doing it on a Catrike 700!!!
   If you have the wider-style seat like the Lightning or standard RANS seat, it still protects your hips somewhat -- but your concern is definitely valid, given the expense of the surgery!!!

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #286 - Dec 26th, 2013, 9:40am

LSR website http://www.lonestarrandon.org the discussion group link will tie you to all nonscheduled ride announcements.  Good group to ride with and very active.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
TXdaveski

rbent member

Reply #287 - Jan 2nd, 2014, 10:00am

Greetings Everyone from another newbie!
Name here is Dave, I'm 55 and I live with my non-rider wife Barbara in Benbrook about a mile from the Art Cowsen Trailhead.  I had been looking at recumbents ever since the guys at Fort Worth Cycling & Fitness Center tried to talk me into taking a test ride on a brand new TREK R200 they just got in.  I should have bought that bike since I was impressed with the technology, but it just didn't feel right.  I rode an upright road bike for many years until I had a car wreck in 2007 and crushed 4 vertebrae in my lower back.  No surgery but arthritis has set in and my back makes some horrendous noises when I bend certain ways.   In 2009, I bought a SUN EZ-1 Lite when I was working  in south Miami, nice ride with my feet lower than the TREK and after 20 miles NOTHING hurt!  But it was too long to easily transport and slow with the 20" rear wheel, so I sold it to a neighbor.  Thanksgiving Day 2013, I found an older RANS V-Rex for $300 on CL in Oklahoma.  Didn't even test ride it, just brought it home.  I probably only put 100 miles on it so far, but finally got it fit correctly and am just about to switch to Eggbeater clipless pedals.  This forum has been a great source of information on the different types of 'bents out there and how to set one up properly.  I think I made a good choice on the V-Rex based on what I have read so far, though I am straining  the weight limit!  Since the Trinity Trail is so close I plan to ride it a lot when it gets a little warmer.   Looking forward to seeing some of you out there!

Dave Ski
RANS V-Rex
Benbrook Texas
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #288 - Jan 2nd, 2014, 10:17am

Welcome, Dave!  Just get out there and ride...  the "heads-up view" from a recumbent is a nice feature...

Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #289 - Jan 2nd, 2014, 10:29am

Welcome Dave, trinity trails is a great place to ride, there are a few folks on here that you may encounter.  Just get out there and have fun, enjoy your new view on life.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #290 - Jan 2nd, 2014, 10:29am

Hi Dave,

"I think I made a good choice on the V-Rex based on what I have read so far, though I am straining  the weight limit!  Since the Trinity Trail is so close I plan to ride it a lot when it gets a little warmer.   Looking forward to seeing some of you out there! "

I also bought a V-Rex 2 days after I bought a Bachetta Cafe.  Sold the Cafe and have been riding the V-Rex ever since.  It just felt "right" the first time that I jumped on it.  There are several of us that go over to the Trinity from Dallas and the Mid-Cities area and ride the trail to Benbrook. Cookie (on this forum) lives close to the trail and rides it frequently as well.  Keep watch on Upcoming Rides and I'll try to remember to post when some of us are heading that way.  Enjoy the V-Rex.

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2014, 10:30am by diannalightning »  
  IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #291 - Jan 2nd, 2014, 3:29pm

Hi Dave. Congrats on living that close to the Trinity Trail. I live about 2 miles from it, just east of University Drive. I'm sure I'll see you on the trail from time to time. I'll probably ride Saturday - look for a pm from me, maybe we can meet.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #292 - Jan 2nd, 2014, 5:48pm

Welcome Dave, to the forum, and to the life!   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
TXdaveski

rbent member

Reply #293 - Jan 2nd, 2014, 7:23pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I'll try to contribute useful items as I find them.

Tiger_Mike, sounds good about riding Saturday.  I'll look for a PM, I don't think I have anything going on...

diannalightning, I'll keep watching the Upcoming Rides list, some of the older posts indicate there were regular rides as long as the sun was cooperating.  You're right about the V-Rex, it feels good, I'm still a little twitchy on it but getting better...

At least now when somebody tells me to "Get Bent!"  I can say Thank You!

Dave Ski
RANS V-Rex
Benbrook Texas
  IP Logged
TexasTwo

rbent member

Reply #294 - Mar 10th, 2014, 1:02pm

HiYa Rbenters,
Two newbie trikers here.  Mike & Helene Bolline from Ovilla.    We saw an EZ-3 delta trike over at John’s in Lancaster and that started our journey.    Went to Austin “just to look” the day before the HOT.   After hours on the net, I was lusting after a Catrike trail or a Terra Trike Tour.  Low down, sleek & sexy.  Helene on the other hand was looking for easy, not much effort and didn’t want to go fast enough to frighten.  Hill climbing isn’t her thing.  
I tried the Catrike Trail and since I’ve been 70 laps around the sun, found out I couldn’t get out of it.  You sit in a trail and sit on a Rover or Rambler.  Made a huge difference in the knees.

So we came home with two new Terra Trike Ramblers.  Went out for a test ride that night –short and pleasant right in front of the house.  

The next day however………………………. Different story.  We rode around the neighborhood (3 miles for her), and I decided to run over to I-35 and back.  10 miles on the second day.  Can you say leg cramps???

Now we’re bike or should I say triking, around Ovilla trying to get in shape.  Looking to go on some trail rides this spring and our neighborhood rides give us a chance to run the Greys (see pic)
We decided not to attend the HOT because we knew we had to build up legs muscles but want to go next year.
Recumbents… What a nice way to enjoy the outdoors.  
Like riding your LazyBoy.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2014, 1:36pm by TexasTwo »  

darn, getting healthy is gonna kill me

Terra Trike Rambler Basic
Terra Trike Rambler Elite
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #295 - Mar 12th, 2014, 4:07pm

Welcome, Mike and Helene --
   The key to getting "in shape" is to simply ride regularly...  whether it's 3 miles, 10 miles, or whatever.  Nothing wrong with a short jaunt around the neighborhood, thrown in with longer explorations!  
   A few hints, as new trikers -- 1) if you haven't already, get "clipless" shoes and pedals.  You WANT your feet attached to the pedals, to prevent them from falling off after a bump -- you don't want your leg dragged under the frame.  2) Spin, don't mash -- gear down, to keep your RPMs up -- it doesn't matter how slow you go, you don't have to worry about falling over!  Keeping your RPMs >60 will be kinder to your knees.  3) If you're not that mechanically experienced, arrange to take a simple maintenance class at a local bike shop, to at least become familiar with gearing, and how to change a flat.   4)  Enjoy the ride!

Paul

Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #296 - Mar 13th, 2014, 12:47pm

Mike & Helene
welcome to the wonderful world of trikes. I'm so sorry you didn't join us at the HOT. It doesn't matter if you are already riding or not as the HOT gives you the opportunity to try out many different rides. Don't be shy next year - come on down and dive in.  Glad you are happy with the Ramblers. Be sure to join John on one of his Saturday morning rides. They are for beginners and are a great way to get started riding with small groups. Happy riding!

IP Logged
ChrisKirby

rbent member

Reply #297 - Mar 20th, 2014, 9:16pm

My name is Chris Kirby, and I live in Commerce Tx. Previously from The metroplex area. I started riding a KMX Typhoon two years ago, and just purchased a Catrike 700' that should be on my doorstep tomorrow.  

I hope to get a few days a month to come to Dallas and ride with others in the community.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #298 - May 8th, 2014, 12:04pm

A late welcome, Chris -- how's that 700 treating you so far????  Try to join the Barbec's breakfast group on Tuesday/Thursdays, for food and riding at White Rock!

« Last Edit: May 8th, 2014, 12:05pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #299 - May 8th, 2014, 2:48pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 8th, 2014, 12:04pm:
A late welcome, Chris -- how's that 700 treating you so far????  Try to join the Barbec's breakfast group on Tuesday/Thursdays, for food and riding at White Rock!

Also, come join us on the last Saturday of the month RBM recumbent rides. There are a number of fellow 700 riders that do the rides.  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28
Send Topic Print