Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 9:50am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 195669 times)
Brad Bedell

rbent member

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2008, 10:03pm

Hi, my name is Brad.  I'm 36, married and have been addicted to all forms of cycling for 2 years now.  I tend to be very competitive oriented on the DF, Off-road mountain riding and now I'm trying to start a recumbent collection.    

Mark has a pretty decent photo of me on my Blue Baron. Maybe he'll be kind enough to share it.

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2008, 10:03pm by Brad Bedell »  
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2008, 10:24pm

Wow you are building a collection quickly!

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:49am

Howdy, I'm Opus aka John if you want to send me a check Grin I used to have a collection of home made 'bents to go with my 1983 Stratus, but now I only have my car-show bike (looks great, goes real fast on the flats or slightly downhill, can't climb worth beans), and the Stratus. I'm trying to get a Fusion crank-forward bike up and running so my wife will have something to take to the grocery store, and I'm also trying to get the FWD folding bike finished. I have more projects than I have money to build them... One thing's for sure, I never get bored.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:39am

Hi my name is Rod.  I rode road bikes for years and commuted to work for most of 80s and mid 90s.  Then we started working long hours, I gained 75 lbs and my back started getting worse.  Three years ago I tried a Stratus, but the bike store just was not really good at explaining "bent balance", so I ended up purchasing a trike, I kept if for a bit over a year.  I then purchased a LWB cycle genius after a friend better explained how to sit ..., then I bought a Strada with some great help from Mark @ PowerON amazing that he can run about half a mile holding me up!  I sold the Cycle Genius and purchased a GRR.  Looks like the GRR will be my "main" bike.  

I ride nights during the summer from 8:30 ish to 10:30 ish.  I just don't like the sun beating down on me.  

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:40am by irodguy »  

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 5:11pm

Paul Brown, here…  a.k.a., Recumbent Papparazzi Menace…  Cool

I actually used to do ~25 mile rides back in high school daze, riding solo around a country road loop outside of my little hometown in western Ohio…  Moved to Dallas after college, and used to pedal a $100 Target 21-speed with 2” knobbies around WRL, but never liked the wrist soreness -- but thought I was doing well to make it around the lake in 45 minutes.  Life went on, weight went up and down, then at age 40 I had a brief two-year flirtation with rollerblading (somebody gimme a TOE STOP!!! Cheesy ) followed by spin classes for a couple years.  After a two-year MBA program simultaneously killed all exercise time and supplied free all-you-can-eat breakfast and lunch on the weekends, my weight peaked in 2004 at about 265 (with high blood pressure and acid reflux, too).  

The following spring, I purchased an EZ-1, swallowing heavily at the price ($750).  

But I quickly discovered the enjoyment of discomfort-free bike riding – and my then-girlfriend (now wife) bought an EZ3 trike shortly thereafter!  

We hooked into the Greater Dallas Bicyclists club and RBENT, and I proceeded to lose 40 pounds over the next two years.  (The HBP and reflux are ALL GONE…)

I quickly went to riding ~6,000 miles a year, after finally purchasing all the crap you’ve gotta have to ride in cold weather, etc... (but I don’t do rain, if possible).  I started carrying a camera with me on rides, and have become unofficial photographer for the GDB -- you can see my work here(http://www.greaterdallasbicyclists.com/gallery/index.php).  

My rides these days range anywhere from a 2 mile commute to the store, to the semi-regular work commute, to a 200K (300K?) rando marathon, with the occasional race or time trial thrown in (thanks, Reclining Flyers!).  But it’s a family affair -- My wife and I now ride matching Stratus XPs,  

and my stepson Brian rides the old EZ1

We enjoy the occasional meetup with RBENTers, or just going out ourselves in the neighborhood or at WRL.  Through weird twists of fate, I’ve been shown both on television and in the newspaper the last year on my “coolbike,” and every jersey I own has the pockets in the front.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2008, 5:25pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
redbike 33

rbent member

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 7:45pm

Hi:  I am  Tom Nuchols from Mt Pleasant, Texas.  I have a Bacchetta Giro 20 and a home built TE Clone.
I am 72 years old and ride from 0 to about 150 miles per week depending on schedules of my wife and volenteer projects.  I have ridden the HnH  three times. 1 st time on a mountian bike 50 miles, 2 time on a Trek Hybrid 50 miles and the third time on  the  Bacchetta 100 k.  I keep a close eye on the post on this forum.    I don't have a bent dealer within 120 miles.   All information is appreciated.

Email   IP Logged
Turtle

honorary rbent
member &
handcyclist

Reply #21 - Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:20am

Hey gang!  It's Cheryl (aka Turtle) here.  I'm Foo's other half.  Although I'm technically not a recumbent rider, I've been adopted by the group.  My bike, although a handcycle, sits about as low as many of you.  

I've been riding bikes off and on for most of my life.  My last upright was a hot pink 10-speed in 1975, before being forced into handcycling.  My current handcycle (a Top End XLT) has me cruising at top speeds of 30 mph on a downhill.  I average only 8 mph, so almost all my training is done sans others, and the reason I have the nick name 'Turtle' -- slow but sure!  

I ride mostly to keep myself in shape, traversing the subdivisions and streets of NE Allen, where you may spot me riding my metallic blue bike with bright orange flag.  Occasionally, Foo (aka hubby) will join me, riding in circles around me so he doesn't fall over, but I ride mostly alone.

Since moving to Texas more than 5 years ago, I've had the pleasure of riding in a number of charity rides.  My most recent being Paris, Texas, doing a personal best of 26 miles.   (It's my second 'marathon.'  My first marathon being in a wheelchair racer in Chicago.)

I thank all the members of Rbent for welcoming into the group.  It's so nice to be wanted!   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:02am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 2nd, 2008, 5:11pm:
Paul Brown, here… a.k.a., Recumbent Papparazzi Menace… Cool

Nota bene how much rounder Paul is in the pictures he posted for his introduction than in the ones he has posted recently in other threads.

There's only, like, half a Paul left, these days. I guess you could say that, for Paul, cycling has reached a point of diminishing returns.

Quote from Turtle on Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:20am:
It's Cheryl (aka Turtle) here. I'm Foo's other half.

Listen to you being modest. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that you're my better half.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:06am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2008, 1:32pm

Quote from FooRider on Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:02am:
Nota bene how much rounder Paul is in the pictures he posted for his introduction than in the ones he has posted recently in other threads.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:13pm

Hi All:  I'm Robert Johnson and live in Keller (NE Tarrant).  I've ridden bikes on and off since the early 70s.  My younger brother raced back then and I often went on training rides with him on an old Roold (French upright) which I still have and will eventually be turned into a game room decoration.  I was most serious about riding in the 1987-90 time frame in Houston, riding a Peugeot Triathalon, which I still have but rarely ride.  I was doing about 200 miles a week and my best year I did 9500 miles.  After moving to Midland in 1990 my riding really fell off, partly due to hauling kids everywhere all the time, and partly due to my inability to find anyone there to ride with.  In 2002 one of my friends quit jogging and took up biking so I've been riding pretty steady again since then.  In 2004 my pastor at our church there, and a long time recumbent rider, convinced me to buy a recumbent.  He, his brother and I all ordered Actionbent Tidal Waves.  Boy, do I ever wish I'd discovered bents 15 years earlier!  None of the aches and pains I experienced on uprights, not to mention frequent trips to the urologist.  And boy are they fast in flat, windy Midland!  After moving back to Fort Worth after 25+ years and getting a look at other bents with the Rbent group, I gave my Actionbent to my brother-in-law and got a Corsa, which is awesome.  Now I ride by myself evenings around Keller on Mondays and Tuesdays, and Thursdays usually ride the Trinity Trails from downtown with friends.  These rides are usually in the 25-30 mile range, and might average anything from 14-16.5 depending on the group that shows up.  Saturday mornings are usually a little longer (40+) at a 15-15.5 average pace.  It's difficult for me to do rides much longer than 50 miles as I've had a lifelong problem with cramps that nothing seems to alleviate.  I'm always glad to have anyone join me for any of these rides.  For anyone considering bents, I haven't had a bicycle related urologist visit since I ditched the upright!  Woohoo!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
suecoop-Linda

rbent member

Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2008, 11:34pm

Deleted- reposted a couple of weeks ago.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2012, 9:44am by suecoop-Linda »  

Specialize Mountain Bike
(killing my wrists!)

Lightning Thunderbolt
  IP Logged
Cookie

rbent member

Reply #26 - Aug 6th, 2008, 8:32pm

Hello. I'm Jerry Lutgen and I live in Sachse. I'm almost 65 and am married to a wonder woman (Norma) for 41 years.
I am retired from IBM after 32 years. I failed at retirement and am back working part time for myself.  
In 2006 I took off for 6 months and hiked 2175 mile on the Appalachian Trail. I started just north of Atlanta, Ga. and walked north to Mt. Katahdin, ME. going through 14 states. Cookie was trail name I was given. Roll Eyes
I decided walking from west coast to the east coast would take too long. So now I have a trike to get across country on.  

Here is a web sit journal of my hike and lots of pictures.
www.trailjournals.com/Cookie

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2008, 8:36pm by Cookie »  

Cookie
Use to walk but Now I ride
2007 Rans Stratus XP

Bent in Granbury
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Aug 29th, 2008, 9:55pm

Hi! I'm Patti. I live in Oak Cliff with my husband, Steve, three kids (ages 12, 14, and 21), two dogs, three cats, and a parrot (no partridge in a pear tree quite yet). I have just recently acquired a beautiful new Catrike Road and hope to be putting a lot of miles on it very soon. I had planned to take it to the HHH as my first group ride, but due to an unfortunate family tragedy was unable to attend this year. I'm looking for the next good opportunity so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

I bought a KMX trike for my son, Rowan, on his 12th birthday this year in a last ditch attempt to get him to ride with the family. He had some balance and coordination issues when he was younger and, after some bad spills early on, he gave up trying to learn to ride a regular bike. My son's new-found enthusiam for his trike convinced me I needed to give it a try, so I sold my mountain bike in order to purchase the Catrike. Except for the delays in getting to actually ride it, I have no regrets. I plan to be adding some additional toys to the trike (headlight, tailight, etc.), as soon as I can figure out how to attach them and/or where to put them. So much to learn about trikes!

I ride my Road to work, enjoy cruising around the hills here in North Oak Cliff, and just ventured out to White Rock for the first time last week. I haven't been able to figure out how to post a picture here, yet, but maybe I can get it figured out soon.  

IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #28 - Sep 15th, 2008, 9:34pm

Hi.  My name is Tim Culver.  I am 53 and live in The Colony.  I am married to Shanna and work for a division of an East Coast bank that makes multi-million dollar business loans.  I will post a picture sometime.

I just bought a RANS Stratus XP and have ridden it a few times.  I tell people it's like riding in a limo.  My previous bike was a 2001 Bike E AT that I rode in 2001 and then gave up due to back issues.  I had a right hip replacement in 2002 at age 47.  I decided to start riding again this summer.  I am still getting my accessories together (rack, etc) so I can get out to the various rides.  I used to go to the weekly pay rides in the early 90s on my Trek 1200.

I like to ride and will need to build up my endurance and climbing skills over the next year.  I will never be a fast rider.  I need to lose some weight as I am at my all-time high of 226 on my 6 foot frame.  The RA doctor put the kabash on my beer career so I took up chocolate chip cookies instead.

I have met Rod already and have gotten several good responses to my posts.  I look forward to meeting the gang and enjoying the friendships.

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #29 - Sep 15th, 2008, 11:50pm

Ra as in rheumatoid arthritis?  If so, we need to talk - I just got diagnosed last year....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Send Topic Print