Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:31am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 197334 times)
Bud_Bent

Introduce yourself!
Jul 30th, 2008, 7:18pm

The forum is getting so many members now, let's do a sticky thread where everyone can introduce themselves. Tell as much or little about yourself as you like.

I'm 57 years old (as of the date of this post) and live in Arlington with my wife, Rose (Rose Pedal on the forum), and our two Chihuahuas. Our kids have already grown up and flown the nest. I work as a CNC maintenance technician, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, so my riding is strictly evenings and weekends.

I've been on a 'bent since September, 2004. Back issues caused me to choose recumbents to ride. In addition to the bikes in my signature, I also ride an EZ Tandem with my wife. I do quite a few Fort Worth Bicycling Association club rides, as well as randonneuring rides with the Lone Star Randonneurs. I also try to ride two or three weekday evenings every week, starting either at home, or at the Joe Pool Lake dam, which is nearby.

I really concentrated on getting stronger and faster in 2007, doing more hill climbing and upping my annual riding miles to 6,000, and racing with the Reclining Flyers 4 man team at The Texas Time Trials in the fall, then gave all those gains back with serious health issues during the winter and spring.

I joined the rbent yahoo group in late 2004, then when spammers took over early in 2007, and the group moderators couldn't be found, I started this forum. Thanks to some very friendly, outgoing, and helpful members, it has become a great source of information for North Texas recumbent riders. There are riders here of all sizes, ages, speeds, and styles, and we welcome input from all of them.

I encourage everyone to post an introduction in this thread to give all those, who haven't actually met you in person yet, a better idea of who you are. And here I am.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2021, 3:04pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2008, 7:48pm

My name is Mike, and I'm 47. I live in Allen with my wife, Cheryl (a.k.a., "Turtle") and our two cats.

I got back on a bike in 2003, starting on a comfort bike before graduating to a mountain bike and then a road bike. After riding the road bike for a season, I had to admit that my neck and back problems were keeping me from riding for longer and longer periods. I spent the early part of 2006 undergoing MRIs and bike fittings with little improvement. Easter weekend, I brought a Bacchetta Corsa home from PC&F to evaluate and never took it back.

I did stop by to pay for it, of course.

I've got a couple MS 150s a bunch of charity rides and even more weekend club rides under my wheels since then, for a little over 5,000 miles. Paltry, by the standards of long riders like Bud, Paul, and the Pettys - but I does what I can.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008, 11:18pm

Hi, I'm Greg.  I teach High School Spanish and coach baseball and, when possible, wrestling.  I've also been in the martial arts for nearly 30 years now, hence the name.  36 years old and rediscovered the fun of biking WAY too late after racing BMX as a kid.  

I consider myself first a racer.  I'm obsessed with going fast on a bike.  But I love to commute and do randonnuering rides as well.  I just find it cool to get around under my own power.  

I have dreams of racing in RAAM in 09 or 10, and breaking a few records as I can, but I'd also like ot do one of those cross-country cycling trips, and retire early in life enough to travel and cycle around the world.  We'll see.

Oh, and I'm a bike 'ho.  If you've got a question on a bent, I've probably ridden it.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2008, 9:23am

My name is Steve. I live in Frisco with my wife(Peggy ,also known as mrsstrada on the forum). I'm 45 years old. I had four back surgeries from '01-'04. In 2006,Peggy signed up for the Richardson Wild Ride as part of newly found fitness program. She has lost 70lbs since time(from cycling/eating healthy).  

I didn't ride with her, but was intrigued by the start of the rally. When she returned form her "epic" 16 mile journey, I commented on how cool the rally was. With the back surgeries,I can't ride an upright. Peggy responds "why don't you go over there & look at those funny bikes "(at the finish line  a collection of 'bents that had already finished the race)?

The following Monday(after spending all weekend on the 'net researching recumbents),I drove to Plano Cycle & Fitness and purchased a Bacchetta Cafe. I rode the Cafe for approx. 1 year. My first rally was the Collin classic & I rode a whopping 22 miles!! In the Spring of '07 ,both Peggy & I purchased Bacchetta Stradas from Plano Cycling( the Cafe was sold to Dianna & now Jman-keepin' it in the Rbent family).

In 2007 ,I rode my first century(100 miles) at H'NH & then was asked to join the Reclining Flyers , a 4 person recumbent team at the Texas Time Trials(500 miles-42 hours. What an awesome team!)last year. Then in October 2007,Ray Torrey(bikerteam on the forum) asked Peggy & to join the Lone Star Randonneurs(long distance,unsupported bike rides).

Peggy & I have come along way in a short time(and have a long way to go),but the thing that is most memorable/important for me is the incredible friends that we have made since our first ride with the Rbent group back in the June ,2006.

And I don't have "cool" pictures or graphics like the previous Rbenters. That's how I roll.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2008, 9:46am

Quote from Strada177 on Jul 31st, 2008, 9:23am:
My name is Steve....
And I don't have "cool" pictures or graphics like the previous Rbenters. That's how I roll.

Ohhhh, yes, you do....  and this is the view most people get of you...  Wink

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008, 9:47am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2008, 10:39am

Paul ,thanks for the "cool" picture. I should have known you would come up with a picture or two. We'll miss you Saturday ,but enjoy your time with Terrie.

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2008, 9:13pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 31st, 2008, 9:46am:
Ohhhh, yes, you do....  and this is the view most people get of you...  Wink

...Paul being one of relatively few riders who could get close enough for that view. Mine is usually from much, much farther away.

I like the fact that you actually can see Steve's face in that large-ish mirror of his.

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008, 9:14pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2008, 10:41pm

Quote from FooRider on Jul 31st, 2008, 9:13pm:
...you actually can see Steve's face in that large-ish mirror of his.

One reason for choosing that particular photograph...   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2008, 10:42pm

Me trying to be fast Cheesy

I live in Double Oak with my wife Christine (Shantar) who is also a commuter that rides a recumbent. Working down in Irving has cut down my 5 day a week commute to 3 but I'm trying to keep it up or step it up eventually.
I started commuting back in Connecticut and would ride my bike 20 miles round trip to the train station so I could nap on the 90+ minute Journey to NYC. When I was up there I rode 12 months a year up there regardless of weather. I had a hybrid with studded snow tires and disc brakes for the winter and eventually got a BikeE for the summer.
Then I got moved to Texas. Took a few years off riding when I first moved here for various reasons including being convinced by everyone including experienced riders I worked with that it was impossible. I probably only rode 200 miles in those 2 1/2 years or so with one or two attempted commutes on monday holidays.
Then my wife started commuting on her bike to her job working for Flower Mound and helped me find a route. My job was moving from 10 miles to 22 miles away and well my old junker of an Electric Truck just wasn't going to do that reliably on highways. So thanks to my wife it all restarted in May of 2007.  
Nearly 8,000 miles on the bike since then and some of these crazy folks have me thinking about riding in the Texas Time Trials.

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008, 10:43pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2008, 4:24pm

Let me introduce myself, I am a man of independent means.....oh wait..that line has already been used,. Grin Actually I am retired and live on my pension. So my bikes help me beat inflation at the gas pump and have fun at the same time.
Recumbents aren't original to our generation either but that doesn't mean they aren't reinvented over and over again. They have been with us for over a hundred years now, yet they seem to be a well kept secret in todays busy world. I don't understand why though because they are a lot more comfortable to ride and for some of us the best way to get just about everywhere.  
    HI, I'm Joe and I am a recumbentholic  Grin  I can't get enough of them, having only been active as a rider for the past three years (in this lifetime at least) I have owned or ridden on a BikeE (OSS), an   ActionBent Tidal Wave (USS), a home built long wheel base Tour Easy clone (OSS), a home built tadpole Trike, a Sun EZ 3 Delta style trike, Sun EZ Rider CX suspended (OSS) recumbent, Lightning Thunderbolt USS,  Sun EZ 1 OSS, ActionBent Tango (OSS) and my current recumbent and favorite Bacchetta Cafe' OSS. If I have left someone out, sorry, so many recumbents, so little time to try them all out  Cheesy  

Recumbents are great not only for the able bodied, but our crew here at rbent has riders of varied physical conditions. I am 60 years young, live in NE Ft.Worth and my favorite ride hang out is River Legacy Park in Arlington. It is just a little over 4 miles from my apartment home and has about 14 miles of protected wide hike and bike trails. I like to ride there at least 4 to 5 times a week. I have an overall avg speed in the park of 11.60 mph. That may not seem real fast, but I tend to take my time and enjoy the landscape along with its various creatures.
     If you are just reading up on the bents, we have one to suit just about everyone. If you want to take some test rides and don't feel like just tooling around in a bike shop parking lot, we can in most cases help you out in that area. All riders and potential riders are welcome to our little piece of cyber space.  
** OSS= above seat steering  
** USS Under Seat Steering  
Bents = recumbents

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2008, 4:37pm by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2008, 4:49pm

Hey Joe, not to nitpick but it looks to me like your leg is overextending based on that pic - have you brought the seat closer since then?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2008, 5:12pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 1st, 2008, 4:49pm:
Hey Joe, not to nitpick but it looks to me like your leg is overextending based on that pic - have you brought the seat closer since then?

pick pick pick  Cheesy I hadn't even done the first adjustment when I had my son get a picture for me and those are not my riding shoes. But it is a great point to mention for new riders. It is amazing how dramatic  
even 0.25" can make in any direction on these bents. Since we can't "stand on our pedals" like traditional uprights, we rely much more on our X-Seam , seat angle, distance the arm is to the handlebars and so on. Which is another great reason for anyone just getting started to be involved with rbent or similar group of riders to help you get your new bent set up for you.  
Is that proper enough explanation Greg? If you can put my thoughts in a clearer package for new riders it just may help get a new rider the advice they need.
 Cool

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2008, 6:40pm

meh...I do it by feel mostly now anyway.  I know I'm technically closer to the pedals on my tica than I should be, but it keeps me more stable on the bike.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2008, 6:52pm

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Richard Cooper. Some of you probably figured out the drahcirrepooc. Its just cooperrichard backwards. Don't ask me why. High cholesterol and BP drove me back to the only sport I really enjoyed, biking. My recumbent wandering began in the summer of 2005. My first trip to Whiterock lake on the Schwinn Sidewinder I had, dang nearly broke my butt. By the time I rode the 22 miles I was hurting all over. I was saying to myself, "I am too old for this"! Later on whilst riding in a park nearby my house, I saw my son's best friend's dad and mom (the Lots) riding some weird looking bikes. Of course I had to stop and yak awhile. He gave me the bent lowdown. My mind started spinning and I went looking. Yoikes! Man I don't have money for that! I found and purchased a Bentech tube set and began building my bike. (There's another whole story just about that!) That was about June of 2005. Around March of 2006 it was finished. A fine creature with the most comfy seat you can imagine. (I ditched it because it weighed 10 pounds though). I began riding with this group through the forum that summer. I rode the Bentech 2006 and spring of 2007. Linda and I experienced a painful windfall and she bought me the Corsa. Man what a change. I love that bike. For all of my miles on the Bentech, I averaged 12mph. I was really working to get that. I am up now to about a 14mph average and can do that for 40-50 miles. It has taken two years for me to get my legs back.

I ride for the health benefits and getting to hang out with my wife and all my whacky bent up friends. I compete mostly with myself but do get a special zing out of passing a DF or two. It is a good feeling being 55 years old and still being able to do what we do.  

See you down the road,

Richard Cooper

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2008, 6:59pm

Dang it all  

I cant seem to make the insert photo work.....

http://public.fotki.com/drahcir1/recumbent-pictures/

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 28
Send Topic Print